• Wild Child To Appear in Secret Wars' Age Of Apocalypse

Today Marvel revealed via IGN that, as teased in October, The Age Of Apocalypse will return in July as part of Marvel's Secret Wars storyline from the creative team of Fabian Nicieza and Gerado Sandoval.

Whilst the artwork shown in the piece doesn't include Wild Child, his AoA partner-in-crime Sabretooth is shown holding his trademark chains on the gatefold cover previewed, which prompted us to reach out to Fabian via Twitter, who was kind enough to reply:

So we know that we'll at least get a bit of Alphan Action during Secret Wars, even if it's a small part.

The Age of Apocalypse originally ran for 4 months in 1995 featuring an alternate reality caused by the death of Professor X and featured several re-imagined mutant Alphans.
    The series was revisited several times in the years afterwards giving us more appearances, although these did tend to result in the death of Alphan versions, most recently Wild Child in the pages if Uncanny X-Force (2010).

Comments 36 Comments
      -K-M- -
      Oh cool. Wonder where it takes place in the AoA timeline? I didn't get why they had to kill off the entire universe.

im only going to pick up a few tie ins for secret wars but this will be on my pull.
      Legerd -
      Isn't that Wild Child's head to the right of Cyclops and in front of Holocaust?
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      Oh cool. Wonder where it takes place in the AoA timeline?
      It's not the same AoA, but a possible AoA.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      Isn't that Wild Child's head to the right of Cyclops and in front of Holocaust?
      Pretty sure it's Dark Beast.
      -K-M- -
      I know I was just wondering if it might be set before or after apoc was beaten. I know it won't be a continuation from the main aoa series
      Phil -
      A few choice quotes regarding that:

It's of special note that this new series will feature a new version of the Age of Apocalypse universe and won't be a continuation of the original one.
      His war has been won. The few humans left alive are enslaved, the mutant rebellion crushed. EN SABAH NUR, the APOCALYPSE, rules his BATTLEWORLD kingdom without mercy, but the terrorist X-MEN plan to end his reign.
      In many ways, the world I am writing is very different than the original, but in other ways it is exactly the same.
      Because the original world can’t really exist as it was within the parameters of how Battleworld is set up in the Secret Wars storyline. I’m also pretty sure the original world ceased to exist during the original series. The original world of Age of Apocalypse was intended to be a fractured reality that had to be “rewoven” back into the normal timeline.
      So anyway, the Secret Wars Age of Apocalypse is, in nearly all ways, an even WORSE world than the original – if you happen to be human or an X-Man!
      Sypes -
      Sweet!

There's a face under Wolverine's arm. Could it be him? I don't recognize all faces in the above picture, but seem very standard characters.
      Phil -
      Judging from the tattoo over the eye that's Nightcrawler.
      Le Messor -
      So it's an alternate version of an alternate reality?

Also, is that the writer you're quoting? Because they're 'pretty sure' the original was destroyed. That seems like something you'd want to check in researching it. (It was, btw.) Or was that dry, understated humour?

I can never tell.

... and it's going to be worse than the original. I'm getting turned off this particular part of Secret Wars.
      But still a little wavery about the whole concept (maybe I'll get it, maybe I won't).

~ Le Messor
      "A writer needs three things, experience, observation and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others."
      ~ William Faulkner
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      So it's an alternate version of an alternate reality?
      Yup, all the Battleworld series are essentially What If's splintered from a particular part of history.

Also, is that the writer you're quoting? Because they're 'pretty sure' the original was destroyed. That seems like something you'd want to check in researching it. (It was, btw.) Or was that dry, understated humour?
      The first quote was the website, the second the Solicitation, the third and fourth Fabian.
      I can understand the lack of research because he doesn't need to as it has nothing to do with anything that has actually happened other than the initial concept/execution of the AoA. In a way, reading all the AoA stories after he left could taint/influence his writing of the series. We don't want a carbon copy of what has happened (especially as this means Box, Northstar, Aurora and Wild Child can still be alive!)
      Le Messor -
      I don't think I ever got my hands on the AoA Box appearances - that was one of the later ones, wasn't it? Published years after the original?

~ Le Messor
      "Absorption in ease is one of the most reliable signs of present or impending decay."
      ~ Richard Weaver
      Phil -
      Nope!

Amazing X-Men #1-2
      Weapon X #2
      Le Messor -
      Maybe I need to re-read those.
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Pretty sure it's Dark Beast.
      I thought Dark Beast was the one under Wolverine's right arm.
      Phil -
      That's Nightcrawler, unless they've swapped facial tattoos.
      Plus that fits in with the Heroes on the left, villains on the right, morally ambiguous Sabretooth & Cyclops in the middle.
      Legerd -
      Ah, okay. It's tough to tell when the pic is b/w. It seemed like the chains around Sabertooth's arm were running to Beast (hence why I thought that was WC) and figured Nightcrawler was Beast due to the hair.
      Phil -
      I could well be wrong.
      Like you say it's black and white and the art is pretty dynamic...
      Phil -
      Looking at the coloured version I may well be eating my words;
      http://comicbook.com/2015/04/20/excl...for-july-2015/

If so, I apologise!

Odd if WC has got a tattoo...
      Le Messor -
      Wait... The Secret Wars main series has a dwaggin? Drawn by Art Adams?

~ LM
      "Huzzah! It must be mine!"
      ~ Igor, Dork Tower
      Phil -
      He's doing the covers for X-Men:Years Of Future Past.
      I'm guessing that's Lockheed...
      Le Messor -
      It does look like Lockheed.
      BIG, BIG Lockheed, but Lockheed.