• Alpha Flight To Return In 2015?

In this week's Axel-In-Charge column at Comic Book Resources, Marvel Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso gets asked the following question regarding Alpha Flight:

Let's wrap the week with a few questions from the CBR Community: macroblaster1999 has taken note on some perceived lower-tier characters getting a spotlight recently at Marvel, and asks, "Are there plans for less-known teams like the Great Lakes Avengers or Alpha Flight?"
    Great Lakes Avengers…?

"Cannot predict now."
    Alpha Flight…?
    "Signs point to yes."

Whilst we've had similar sort of hints previously this does look to be a bit more solid and encouraging, although whether it just means guest appearances remains to be seen. However this close to the end of the World war Wendigo arc of Amazing X-Men it sounds like something more could be in the works, possibly as a result of the Secret Wars event?

This article was originally published in forum thread: Did anybody see this? started by maniac mike View original post
    Comments 109 Comments
      -K-M- -
      hmmmm....interesting. I could see a mini maybe, but doubt an on-going.
      Le Messor -
      That's cool.

I don't have any context, so to me 'plans for Alpha Flight' could mean a guest appearance in an upcoming issue of X-Men.
      (That's not a complaint; the last guest appearance in X-Men was awesome! Just sayin'.)

~ Le Messor
      "...it doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are-- if it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
      ~ R.P. Feynman
      Canucklehead -
      If the rumours of a Marvel Reboot do end up being true, Alpha Flight would be one most benefitted as their continuity is so skewed. Hell, they get "reset" every appearance anyway. All growth is forgotten. Might aswell start from scratch.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead View Post
      If the rumours of a Marvel Reboot do end up being true...
      There's not enough 'grrr' in 'groan' for how much I hope not.
      Those rumours have been around for a while, so I have hope, but reboots always seem to me to be more cynical attempts at manipulating the audience than actual creative ideas meant to improve anything.

And the last two we've been through - the Ultimate Universe and the Nu52 - ended up being... not my cup of hot chocolate, shall we say?

~ Le Messor
      "A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make."
      ~ Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.
      Sypes -
      Now, that's my kind of Monday morning news!
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sypes View Post
      Now, that's my kind of Monday morning news!
      Yesterday, to help me through Monday, somebody sent me an article saying a guy in Camden (just outside of Sydney) is now driving a Batmobile.
      That's Monday news!
      Mokole -
      If they make another AF book the team should change slightly. More thought has to be put into it, IMO. Mac and Heather finally run Department H. Walter and Shaman yield to their scientist/medicine roles. Aurora, Northstar? Snowbird, Marrina? Bring back Ghost Girl and add Killjoy, need to say how/why they are back. Puck leads. Need to give the team a clear direction, lots of opportunity.
      Alphan East -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
      Mac and Heather finally run Department H. Walter and Shaman yield to their scientist/medicine roles.
      This would be a very nice beginning for a new series... but with them still having the ability to "suit up" if the need arises.
      There are enough Flight-related characters to form a mission team without them. Puck, Talisman, Aurora (in the yellow suit), Snowbird, Windshear (or Chinook nowadays). I don't see Marvel letting Northstar out of X-Men... he's just too popular.
      Actually, I would also bring back Madison, since he doesn't seem to be used much anymore in X-Men, to handle the scientist role and allow Sasquatch more freedom to go on missions.
      There... I'm putting that down as my Christmas wish.
      Phil -
      If they make another AF book the team should change slightly. More thought has to be put into it
      I agree, but definitely needs to be 'slightly'
      Too much change and we get Vol.3

IMO. Mac and Heather finally run Department H.
      I'd like that.

Need to give the team a clear direction, lots of opportunity.
      Agreed 100%
      The team needs to be dealing with world(/universe)-wide threats, saving The Avengers etc. and dealing with threats they can't handle/cope with.
      The team has a large mystical/mythical aspect so playing that up a lot appeals to me; Doctor Strange shouldn't be the only hero that people go to when they need a magic fix.
      Alphan East -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      The team has a large mystical/mythical aspect so playing that up a lot appeals to me; Doctor Strange shouldn't be the only hero that people go to when they need a magic fix.
      Absolutely. With Shaman, Talisman, and Snowbird on the team, they can go toe-to-toe into the mystic with anyone.

And no, not Volume 3... definitely not Volume 3... anything but Volume 3. I would literally rather see nothing than another Volume 3.
      Le Messor -
      Mac and Heather finally run Department H. Walter and Shaman yield to their scientist/medicine roles.
      As long as they continue the superheroics that made me interested them in the first place, that's not bad.

I agree, but definitely needs to be 'slightly'
      Too much change and we get Vol.3
      Or worse... Vol.2. :P

Yep! That was always something that appealed to me about the original book; it went mystical.

~ Le Messor
      "A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education."
      ~ George Bernard Shaw
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I'd love to see Marvel have an Alpha miniseries every year (4 or 6 issues) or every other year, at least (with the classic team as we saw them in Vol.5, with Heather & Talisman).

Dana
      mos_def -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      That's cool.

I don't have any context, so to me 'plans for Alpha Flight' could mean a guest appearance in an upcoming issue of X-Men.
      (That's not a complaint; the last guest appearance in X-Men was awesome! Just sayin'.)

~ Le Messor
      "...it doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are-- if it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
      ~ R.P. Feynman

With whats happeng in X-Men post Axis, it really doesn't fit into character of Northstar, Aurora, and Jeffries to stay
      sengsterooney -
      Interesting news indeed!

While I do enjoy the AF appearances, I just wish that there was more consistency between the appearances across the board. For example, when last we left AF (at the end of the Van Lente/Pak/Eaglesham run), Heather was AWOL with baby Claire (and potentially still brainwashed) while Mac was with the original Alphans. AF then appears to help Red Hulk in a story about the return of the Aztec gods in the Hulk (when it featured Rulk). Puck then, presumably, left on a short hiatus to LA and joined up briefly for the entire run of Uncanny X-Force (v3) to defeat the Owl Queen.

When next we see them in AXM, Heather is back with Mac (in a new/old suit), there is no mention of baby Claire or what happened since the 12 issue series, and Puck is with Talisman and back in his big P costume (no mention of his more contemporary X duds).

For me, these "jumps" in logic are just a bit too hard to take. Clearly, lots happen in between their appearances and I wish the writers would take some time to address them even if AF are appearing as guests in other titles. Just my 2 cents.
      sengsterooney -
      PS: Someone needs to design a new costume for Talisman... I mean if they can do it for Ms Marvel (now Capt Marvel), for Star Sapphire, for Psylocke... surely someone can design some leg coverings for Talisman... (I mean, how many female superheroes these days still get around in a swimsuit? Apart from Starfire and Elektra )
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by sengsterooney View Post
      For me, these "jumps" in logic are just a bit too hard to take. Clearly, lots happen in between their appearances and I wish the writers would take some time to address them even if AF are appearing as guests in other titles. Just my 2 cents.
      Agreed.

OTOH, I do like the idea that when they have a series, they keep changing constantly; why would they suddenly stop dead just because they don't have one?
      They don't know they don't have a series, and Canada hasn't (presumably) stopped being attacked.

So: a writer should combine those ideas. When AF appear, have them reference adventures we've never seen - to whet fans' appetites.
      Make people wonder what they're missing until they demand a series to find out!

~ Le Messor
      "A friend is one to whom you may pour out all the contents of your heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and with the breath of kindness blow the rest away."
      ~ Arabian Proverb
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sengsterooney View Post
      PS: Someone needs to design a new costume for Talisman... I mean if they can do it for Ms Marvel (now Capt Marvel), for Star Sapphire, for Psylocke... surely someone can design some leg coverings for Talisman... (I mean, how many female superheroes these days still get around in a swimsuit? Apart from Starfire and Elektra )
      I agree, a more practical outfit would be appreciated. Maybe something like her original costume, but with full leggings instead of the skirt?

I also agree with you on the inconsistency of Alpha appearances, Seng. It's frustrating to see past plot elements just discarded with no explanation or recap...However, I don't mind Eugene being with Liz. They perhaps just found some connection off panel and began a relationship.

Dana
      DIGGER -
      Again with the off panel stuff. I don't care what they do...just do it right.
      Canucklehead -
      I ask only one request of a new series... No brainwashing/possession/Alphan-Turned-Evil stories for at LEAST issue 50... Seriously. If we get one more series that starts with "Oh no! [Alphan] has been possessed! But HOW!? We'll have to fight them for 6 issues! Oh wait, we've been upgraded to a maxi series!? Lets fight them til issue 12! What? We're cancelled and have to rush an ending for issue 9?! OK, [alphan] is back to normal! Now we're a big happy family again!"
      *2 years later*
      Announcing another New Alpha Flight Series! "Oh no! [Alphan] has been possessed! But HOW!?"
      Le Messor -
      Sorry, bub. This is the 2010s; all comics are about the heroes turning evil. Didn't you know?