• Alpha Flight Flies At Newsarama

Newsarama have an interview with writers Craig Kyle & Chris Yost discussing their current run on Amazing X-Men, going into detail with Alpha Flight's involvement including a few surprising revelations, as well as an exclusive look at some Carlo Barberi artwork from #10:

Nrama: Both Wolverine and Alpha flight have crossed paths with a Wendigo before, but now it seems like there’s an army of them. Can you tell us how the idea to use Wendigo, and in this manner, came to you two?

Yost: Well, Craig has been an Alpha Flight fan forever, and I love cannibalism, so in this moment everything just aligned perfectly. The idea was originally for an Alpha Flight series, but when Marvel editor Mike Marts came to us with Amazing X-Men, it just felt right.

Kyle: This was Chris’ idea but I think we’ve built a fun story around the concept that will bring out the best heroics our team can offer. As a bonus we get to bring in Alpha Flight, which is fun since they don’t have their own title right now.

Nrama: This is an X-Men book, but fans of Alpha Flight got a pleasant surprise seeing several members of that team featured here. We’ve seen several of the core members here, so are they sticking around for the entire arc?

Yost: They absolutely are. Northstar’s featured, obviously, and Vindicator, Guardian, Talisman and Puck come in early, but we don’t stop there. You’re going to see the entire, classic team.

Kyle: This is my chance to work with these characters, so we couldn’t resist bringing them all in. That said, we don’t plan to sideline X-Men. This threat is absolutely enormous so it’s going to take more than one team to stop it. It’s all hands on deck for every hero in the title. We also love brining in other classic characters that can reveal other sides of our X-heroes.

Nrama: And what are both of your thoughts on Alpha Flight, in using them here?

Yost: Welcome back, Alpha Flight. Hope you survive the experience. Ha, I kid!! They will mostly make it out alive. Not necessarily human, but alive. Look, we‘re aware that we have a reputation for killing characters off, but we try and bring back a lot of characters, too. This is one of those times.

Kyle: Alpha Flight is often considered the perpetual Marvel C-Team, but in the right hands every character in the Marvel U can rise to limitless heights. Now I’m not suggesting we’re those hands, but we’re going to try and show why these guys are awesome in their own right. We did our best to do that with the New X-Men kids and that’s the plan again here… Uh, minus the exploding bus full of kids. (That said, if sales decline we keep the option for more exploding buses open.)

Nrama: I have to ask about that eyebrow-raising scene between Puck and Talisman in Amazing X-Men #8 – will you two be elaborating on that down the line?

Yost: Yeah, I’m not sure how happy Shaman is about that one. Time will tell if we get to delve into the interpersonal dynamics of that relationship.

Kyle: Maybe Talisman is just checking a box off her bucket list. Or maybe Puck is… Look, these guys are a team. They live, fight, sleep and nearly die together almost every day of their lives. You don’t get more intense relationships than the ones these guys share. Bonds and emotions run high between them and no one but another hero could possibly have a true understanding of what their lives are like or who they are. I think these people are drawn to each other because of all they’ve seen and survived together. I bet by the time their lives are over they’ve all made their way through the ranks of the team. We’ll see how much we can share about this relationship with the readers in the pages we’ve got left, but rest assured these choices were made for character driven reasons.

For the full interview visit Newsarama.com

Comments 16 Comments
      varo -
      wait. they were supposed to write a alpha solo series??????????????? i have been loving this storyline so far, would love to see them helm a alpha series. actually at this point i would love to see anyone write a ongoing alpha series.
      mreeez -
      I guess the idea for the Alpha Flight series got shot down?
      Phil -
      I'd imagine it was an idea they'd had in the back of their minds for their Alpha Flight story, or maybe they pitched it as one, but they were never supposed to write one, as such...
      Le Messor -
      Might've been cool, though, if they had.
      rplass -
      I'm skeptical of their claim that they had a pitch in hand for an Alpha Flight series and that it was presented to editorial but rejected. Probably they are just now saying they had an idea. At the FREG signing event at Midtown Comics, I spoke with Mark Paniccia about this and he did confirm there were a lot of pitches for Alpha Flight but I doubt this was actually in front of someone making a decision about whether to proceed with an ongoing series or not.
      Flightpath07 -
      "They live, fight, sleep and nearly die together almost every day of their lives."

Um? No, not really. The two characters asked about, one has not really been seen with the team in a very long time, and the other has been on a team south of the border for a long time, so...no. I disagree with that statement by Kyle, as relates to those two characters.

I also don't appreciate my team being called C-List.
      rplass -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      "They live, fight, sleep and nearly die together almost every day of their lives."

Um? No, not really. The two characters asked about, one has not really been seen with the team in a very long time, and the other has been on a team south of the border for a long time, so...no. I disagree with that statement by Kyle, as relates to those two characters.

I also don't appreciate my team being called C-List.
      Ha! I'm reading "south of the border" and thinking "Whoa Flightpath07 is crazy talking. Nobody from Alpha Flight's in Mexico!" Then I was all, "oh, that border...."
      Flightpath07 -
      Crazy talk IS my specialty...
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
      I'm skeptical of their claim that they had a pitch in hand for an Alpha Flight series and that it was presented to editorial but rejected. Probably they are just now saying they had an idea. At the FREG signing event at Midtown Comics, I spoke with Mark Paniccia about this and he did confirm there were a lot of pitches for Alpha Flight but I doubt this was actually in front of someone making a decision about whether to proceed with an ongoing series or not.
      I'm not sure it they mean it was a rejected pitch.

It sounds more like they had an idea for an AF series on a notebook or in their brains that they'd one-day like to use, but when they were approached to write Amazing X-Men they decided to use it there instead.

I've got ideas for an AF series, you probably have, most writers probably do.

I'd also go as far as to say AF are D-list, personally.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      It sounds more like they had an idea for an AF series on a notebook or in their brains that they'd one-day like to use, but when they were approached to write Amazing X-Men they decided to use it there instead.
      Yes, that's what I got from their comments, too.

~ Le Messor
      "If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?"
      -K-M- -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      I'd also go as far as to say AF are D-list, personally.
      What other characters would you place as D-List?
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      What other characters would you place as D-List?
      And how many of them had their own title for 130+ issues, plus three more shorter runs?
      -K-M- -
      Well that was then, this is now and a lot has changed including their popularity
      AuthenticVIP -
      I'm pretty sure Alpha Flight is only guest starring in Amazing X-Men. However, I would really love it if the same team doing the art and writing the Amazing X-Men would do an ongoing Marvel NOW series of Alpha Flight that included most of the original characters and some of the fan favorites as well. I think Alpha Flight is ready for a comeback!
      Phil -
      Quickly off the top of my head:

A-List
      Iron Man
      Wolverine
      Captain America
      Thor
      Hulk
      Spider-Man
      Deadpool (Possibly)

B-List
      Fantastic Four
      Cyclops
      Storm
      Magneto
      Hawkeye
      Black Widow
      Punisher
      Daredevil
      Nightcrawler
      GotG (Currently)

C-List
      Ghost RiderDoctor Strange
      Luke Cage
      Iron Fist
      Namor
      Black Panther
      Inhumans (Blackbolt + Medusa, certainly)
      Captain Marvel (Danvers)
      Elektra
      Silver Surfer
      Ant-Man (Currently)
      Kitty Pryde
      Psylocke
      Rogue
      Gambit
      She-Hulk
      Emma Frost (Possibly, at a push)

D-List
      Most other characters/titles that have had ongoings.

There are times when I'd be tempted to bump Northstar up to C-List, but the wedding didn't exactly have the long-lasting effect Marvel would have liked.
      -K-M- -
      That's a fair list.