• 'Death Of Wolverine' Gets Canada Variants *UPDATED*

Whilst probably not an Alpha Flight guest appearance, Marvel today announced a Variant Cover for September's Death Of Wolverine that might be of interest to 'Flight fans.

DEATH OF WOLVERINE #1
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • STEVE McNiven (A/C)
    IT’S THE BEGINNING OF THE END – 3 MONTHS TO DIE ENDS HERE!
    • The beginning of the end is now here … THE DEATH OF WOLVERINE!
    • THREE MONTHS TO DIE, the loss of Wolverine’s healing factor--all led to this, the single most important X-Men event of the decade.
    • Logan has spent over a century being the best there is at what he does...but even the best fade away eventually.
    • Over the years, Logan has been a warrior, a hero, a renegade, a samurai, a teacher—and so much more. But now, the greatest X-Men hero will play a role he’s never played before in this special weekly event brought to you by industry superstars Charles Soule and Steve McNiven.
    Issue #1 - 48 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

UPDATE JULY 9th -

Comicbook.com have an exclusive look at Canada Variants for issue's 2-4
    , shipping weekly the same month:

Comments 28 Comments
      Flightpath07 -
      I am curious. Is this just paying tribute to his roots, or will Canada play some actual part in this series? Regardless, if i can manage to get this variant, I will.
      Le Messor -
      I hadn't heard of this story before.

It will be interesting to see if Alpha do turn up. You'd think they would, for such an important event in the life of a friend and colleague. He could die for a whole month!
      Or even a year! (Superman did.)

~ Le Messor
      "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."
      ~ Old saying
      Phil -
      It's a weekly comic for the month of September, and then (rumour is) in October there'll be oneshot aftermath wake-style issues (like the Fallen Son series when Cap America died).
      I'd like to think we'll get some kind of AF cameo in something along the way but who knows...
      Le Messor -
      They'd have to be at the funeral, at least.
      I doubt I'll buy it just for that. (On a more metaphorical level, nobody will buy the death of Wolverine.)

~ Le Messor
      "I saw my funeral that day - I know who didn't show to mourn."
      ~ Megadeth
      Phil -
      Updated for Variants for #2-4
      Phil -
      Well, the aftermath oneshots have been announced and there's nothing stand-out 'Flighty

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7...e_logan_legacy
      Sypes -
      Too bad Department H didn't kill Logan as a payback to having lost their prized possession. Could have set up tons of dynamic between them, Xmen, AF, etc
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Well, the aftermath oneshots have been announced and there's nothing stand-out 'Flighty

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7...e_logan_legacy
      THIS might mean something, maybe.

We'll start in THE LOGAN LEGACY by examining those effects on people close to Wolverine, but over time, we'll range far and wide to see what sort of black hole Logan's death actually leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sypes View Post
      Too bad Department H didn't kill Logan as a payback to having lost their prized possession. Could have set up tons of dynamic between them, Xmen, AF, etc
      Actually, that would have. Have him die at Mac's hands, and it would've made for even better soul-searching Flighty moments.
      Phil -
      Yeah, it could mean a cameo, but I was hoping for a 'The Logan Legacyepartment H/Alpha Flight' oneshot.
      Le Messor -
      Yeah, it could mean a cameo, but I was hoping for a 'The Logan Legacyepartment H/Alpha Flight' oneshot.
      (Phil, you may want to edit that title. )
      Phil -
      Okay, so there is still more to be announced:

The projects in the “Death of Wolverine” umbrella are The Logan Legacy, a second limited series we’ll be talking about soon, the Deadpool one-shot we mentioned earlier, and also a one-shot called World Without Wolverine which is two vignettes featuring different characters reacting in their own personal way to Logan’s death.
      http://www.newsarama.com/21563-after...an-legacy.html

World Without Wolverine sounds like the kind of place for a Hudson cameo.
      Alphan East -
      Just finished reading "Death of Wolverine" #1 and all I can say is... WOW !!!

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

!

!

!

First off, the artwork is amazing. Steven McNiven, Jay Leisten, & Justin Ponsor (three names I have never heard of before) have created a visual for this issue that is a perfect fit for the story. Some panels could be enlarged, framed, and mounted on a wall... I cannot say enough about it.
      Second, the story. I came into this issue with the usual comic book death attitude not expecting much (Great, they'll kill him off for 6 months then bring him back so they can snag fans into buying more books). I was wrong. The story hooks you right from the start. There is a scene with Reed Richards that just works so well as a lead-in. And there is a discussion about Logan's claws that I don't believe has EVER been mentioned before... and it is such an obvious thing. What a great addition !!!
      The way Logan deals with what is coming for him plays 100% true to his character. After all, he is the best there is at what he does... and this time, he has to do it alone.
      I am suddenly counting the days until the next issue.

P.S. - Check out the name on the whiskey bottle on page 9... very subtle homage to Logan's first appearance.
      Phil -
      Looks like The Logan Legacy will have Canada Variants too. Or #1 at the very least:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=23637
      Flightpath07 -
      Looks like The Logan Legacy will have Canada Variants too. Or #1 at the very least:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=23637
      Y'know, the Canadian Variant cover would have been a great place to show some Canadian heroes. Um, can anybody think of any? I'm drawing a blank here.
      Phil -
      Well, Wolverine certainly is... does that make X-23 Canadian?
      And has Sabretooth been conclusively origin'ed?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Y'know, the Canadian Variant cover would have been a great place to show some Canadian heroes. Um, can anybody think of any? I'm drawing a blank here.
      The Blank is Canadian? I didn't know that.

I'd love to see that. It'd go well with Detroit's Robocop statue.

~ Le Messor
      "Never give a gun to ducks."
      Flightpath07 -
      Isn't he also a mass murderer? And wanted by the government for adamantium theft?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Isn't he also a mass murderer? And wanted by the government for adamantium theft?
      Perfect for a statue, then!

(Hey, I live in Australia. And Australia, as we all know, is entirely peopled with criminals...)
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      (Hey, I live in Australia. And Australia, as we all know, is entirely peopled with criminals...)
      Plus, you have those wonderful ski hills, and quaint alpine villages. http://www.austria.info/us/winter-va...s-1084194.html