• Alpha Flight in Deadpool #34?

In this week's X-Position with Deadpool co-writer Gerry Duggan at CBR we get the following answer to a question that may be of interest to us:

Wrapping up the week, Phil wants to see a very specific part of Deadpool's identity.

Any chance of playing up on Deadpool's Canadian-ness some more? I'd love to see him take on Alpha Flight.

It's almost like we just made "Deadpool" #34 just for Phil.

The solicts for #34 haven't been released yet as the issue is due to ship in September so it should be in the next set of solicitations in around three weeks time.
    However, we do know from Bleeding Cool that the issue will have a cover by Mark Brooks (as a riff on DC's recent 3D covers):

Earlier in the article Duggan says :
    The really cool thing about our "Deadpool" run tying into "Original Sin" is that the next "inventory issue" will carry real weight. I think Scott [Koblish] & Val are going to surprise some people with "Deadpool" #34, which takes place in the early '90s. The effects of these issues will create more turbulence in Wade's life.

Scott Koblish recently drew Alpha Flight on the cover to Deadpool #27 and also in a spread for Marvel Super-Heroes Magazine:

While the comment could be aimed more towards the Canadian part than Alpha Flight, the timing of the 90's would seem to fit, and with the Original Sin storyline of Deadpool focusing upon his origin a connection to the Department K program would make sense.

As of now it's purely speculation, but it seems to add up so far...
    Comments 11 Comments
      Le Messor -
      I hope the whole team shows up!

I didn't know about that Marvel Super-Heroes Magazine pic. It's pretty decent.

~ Le Messor
      "More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
      ~ Woody Allen
      Flightpath07 -
      cool!
      -K-M- -
      Oh nice I'm in. Always loved the scene where Wade before becoming Deadpool looked up and saw Guardian fly above him and was inspired.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      Oh nice I'm in. Always loved the scene where Wade before becoming Deadpool looked up and saw Guardian fly above him and was inspired.
      What issue is that in? I don't have the Deadpool appearances. ('cept Sas in #1.)
      Phil -
      http://alphaflight.net/showwiki/Dead...th_98_1998_001

It was a nice touch, but the timing doesn't quite add up chronology wise given the length of time Deadpool has been Deadpool and Mac's use of the costume and codename...
      Le Messor -
      Ah, that one! I've looked for it all over Australia and America (not very hard), but never found a copy.

It's one of the ones that I wonder if I really want or not nowadays; but I'm leaning towards 'I do'. (I've got a lot less concerned with buying every. single. appearance lately.)

~ Le Messor
      "Money may buy friendship but money can not buy love."
      Phil -
      This issue being set in the 90's would make sense too as Walt knew Wade in Deadpool #1 but we'd never seen them meet before...
      Le Messor -
      Then Walt was in it, too?

~ Le Messor
      "He had delusions of adequacy."
      ~ Walter Kerr
      Phil -
      In the #1 that you have, yup.
      Le Messor -
      Well, that I knew.
      Phil -
      I'd totally forgotten that Scott drew Marvel Adventures:Iron Man #11 too:

Attachment 4199