• Flashback Fridays - June 28th 2013

Welcome to the first in a semi-regular column for AlphaFlight.net showcasing moments of Alpha Flight glory from throughout it's 35 year history(starting from Weapon Alpha's first appearance in The X-Men #109).

For the first column I've chosen what I consider my most favourite panel from all of AF-lore & the one that instantly cemented my love for the dysfunctional team (albeit many, many years after it's publication!) and also a very fitting one as last Sunday (June 23rd) saw the 30th Anniversary of it's release...

I present to you, in it's original glory and digitally remastered form, from Alpha Flight (1983) #1:

Pencils & Inks - John Byrne, Colours - Andy Yanchus (Original) + Jerron Quality Color (Reconstruction), Letters - Joe Rosen

If you've got a panel/page of an Alpha Appearance you'd like featured in a future edition of Flashback Fridays PM or e-mail me with either a .jpg or title/issue/page/panel number of your choice. You don't have to give a reason and you can remain anonymous if you wish.
    Comments 10 Comments
      Alphan East -
      Awesome idea Phil !!! That panel really takes me back. What a difference in the digitally remastered version.
      -K-M- -
      Love the idea, great job
      rplass -
      Phil, can you comment on the digital restoration? Where did you get that 2nd image?
      Le Messor -
      So, you went and did it. You did it! You warned us, but we never thought...

Cool. Good panel choice, too. I love that you started with #1.

~ Le Messor
      "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened!"
      ~ Anonymous
      rplass -
      Nice! Notice the pale green background, no details. Wasn't this lack of backgrounds the exact kind of thing that made JB look back on this title as hurried work, and not one of his favorites? I remember reading this, that panels just like this were his least favorite. Funny how we're gushing over what's going on in the foreground but the artist himself looks at it, sees the lack of background and quits the book over his own hurried result.
      Flightpath07 -
      Yes, i love the "lack of" background; less clutter often equals a better chance to see the beauty of the art! Nice choice, Phil. Although i like to see the clarity of the restored image, it looks "funny" without the fuzziness that i am so used to.
      Le Messor -
      The thing with not having a background in that panel (and, tbh, I'd prefer it with - as long as it didn't clutter out the 'action') is that the backgrounds were well-established by then. We knew we were in the Hudsons' apartment; we knew we were in the living room. We didn't need it there.

~ Le Messor
      "Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse."
      Phil -
      It's weird how the fuzziness almost adds detail to the panel, as if it's an out of focus background.

The re-mastered panel looks a lot more bleak and hurried in contrast.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      the fuzziness almost adds detail
      Well, it is Puck and Sasquatch.