• Avengers #10 Preview At CBR

Over at Comic Book Resources as part of the Axel-In-Charge Column there's a preview of some pages from Avengers #10 including the colored version of the page we've previously seen:

It certainly looks like Canadian heroes are death fodder once again.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Avengers #10 Preview started by -K-M- View original post
    Comments 71 Comments
      Chris -
      S

P

O

I

L

E

D

So much for this Omega Flight. At least they're getting killed on panel this time. They need to learn to stay out of all Avengers books. Sigh.
      Phil -
      Well, so far all it's just

S
      P
      O
      I
      L
      E
      R
      S

a Wendigo that's dead and there's plenty of them to go around.

And I'm glad that's definitely not Jeffries
      Chris -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Well, so far all it's just

S
      P
      O
      I
      L
      E
      R
      S

a Wendigo that's dead and there's plenty of them to go around.
      True. We also learned in Incredible Hulk 11 that there are plenty of Sasquatch to go around too. I will remain calm until the actual issue comes out then
      -K-M- -
      S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Here's my response I did on another board. The title of the thread was called "Avengers + Dead Canadian superheroes = $$$". I said "Meh! Just a random robot and a Wendigo. Technically you can't kill a Wendigo, but sure that will be ignored (which isnt that big of a deal). Since basically three of the 4 characters are brand new (pretty sure this is an AR) cant say there will be much impact." and another replied which a pretty bang on response...."Yeah Canucks not named Wolverine should really avoid Avengers books."....bang on, well the more recent Avengers books
      Phil -
      Well, I know it's a month off still, but is anyone interested in reviewing this issue when it comes out?

If you can't get to a store on the day a legal Digital Copy can be sent your way.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Hopefully, some of them make it out alive...I'd like to see the list of Canadian characters grow and perhaps call more attention to Alpha Flight.

Dana
      -K-M- -
      S

P

O

I

l

E

R

S

Pretty sure Validator will, here name was in the solicts and she appears on the cover too.
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Hopefully, some of them make it out alive...I'd like to see the list of Canadian characters grow and perhaps call more attention to Alpha Flight.

Dana
      Agreed!
      Legerd -
      Help me out here, is this an alternate reality, or 616? And why isn't AF getting involved no matter what universe this is set in?
      -K-M- -
      I think it is an alternate reality to be honest. Not 100% sure though
      Chris -
      This takes place in 616. During the events from the first three issues of the Avengers, 7 bio-weapons from Mars landed across the Earth, one of them hitting Canada. In Avengers 4, Captain Marvel mentions that the Canadian government will be sending Omega Flight to contain it. Also in issue 4, we see A.I.M. and the Avengers fighting over a bio-weapons site in the Savage Land.

As to why the Canadian government is sending a new Omega Flight, instead of Alpha Flight, I have no idea.

Also one of the bio-weapons landed in Perth. Maybe Alpha Flight is going to visit Australia instead and say "hello" to Le Messor?
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      And why isn't AF getting involved no matter what universe this is set in?
      Because this time around AF are too relevant to just be killed off, so characters have been created for the sole reason of sacrificial lambs.
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Because this time around AF are too relevant to just be killed off, so characters have been created for the sole reason of sacrificial lambs.
      Well...

...last time out, our heroes were killed off-panel.

So, perhaps Marvel has "upped the ante", and will tell us, 6 months or so from now, that AF died, off panel, between the last page of Avengers 9 and the cover of Avengers 10 (without ever being seen or mentioned!).
      Phil -
      I think that even after Vol.4 being 'not-extended' AF are in a better position and held in more regard than they were after the end of Vol.3 so I doubt they'll be killed off, on-panel or not.
      Legerd -
      Right, thanks for the answers. But now I'd like to know why the Avengers are the team to go in and save OF instead of AF? I mean, considering this is in Canadian territory, shouldn't AF be the ones to save the day? Yes I know it's an Avengers story, but couldn't AF at least have teamed up with the Avengers? I will give Marvel kudos for at least recognizing Canada still exists as part of their shared universe, but they lose marks for the name "Validator". Why can't our heroes have cool names anymore?

Oh, and does anyone else get a "Roadside Picnic" vibe from this?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
      Also one of the bio-weapons landed in Perth. Maybe Alpha Flight is going to visit Australia instead and say "hello" to Le Messor?
      That'd be awesome!
      ... but Perth is clear across the country (west coast - I'm east). Sengsteroony lives around there, though. Maybe they'll visit him?

~ Le Messor
      "It's the opinion of some that crops could be grown on the moon. Which raises the fear that it may not be long before we're paying somebody not to."
      ~ Franklin P. Jones
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      That'd be awesome!
      ... but Perth is clear across the country (west coast - I'm east).
      Yeah, but I'd bet you'd put your underwear on the outside and head there to represent Queen and country.
      Le Messor -
      It does get annoying when something happens to Canada, and that great Marvel superteam Anyone-But-Alpha-Flight flies to the rescue for no adequately explored reason.

Oh, and does anyone else get a "Roadside Picnic" vibe from this?
      What's "Roadside Picnic"?

Yeah, but I'd bet you'd put your underwear on the outside and head there to represent Queen and country.
      Well, more country than Queen. Canada has the same Queen I do, so I don't have to represent her to Alpha...
      ... unless you mean the band? Hmm... what should I play? ... anything but Another One Bites The Dust?

~ Le Messor
      "Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none."
      ~ Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
      Legerd -
      What's "Roadside Picnic"?
      Roadside Picnic is a scifi novel by Russian brothers and authors Arkady and Boris Strugatsky in which an alien spacecraft comes to Earth and dumps "stuff" that creates zones in several areas around the world where alien technology, and warped physics threaten anyone who goes into them. One of "the Zones" is on the east coast of Canada (the setting for the story) into which the main character enters illegally to earn a living scavenging alien items for the black market. It's actually a pretty cool story. The title comes from some dialogue in which one character thinks the aliens who created the zones were just passing by Earth, and stopped to have a roadside picnic much like humans would while on vacation. And like humans (at that time) they just tossed their garbage out the car window as they drove away polluting the environment and thus creating the Zones.

Well, more country than Queen. Canada has the same Queen I do, so I don't have to represent her to Alpha...
      ... unless you mean the band? Hmm... what should I play? ... anything but Another One Bites The Dust?
      Yes, perhaps stick with the usual, We Are The Champions, eh?
      Le Messor -
      Roadside Picnic is a scifi novel by Russian brothers and authors Arkady and Boris Strugatsky in which an alien spacecraft comes to Earth and dumps "stuff" that creates zones in several areas around the world where alien technology...
      Sounds interesting.

Yes, perhaps stick with the usual, We Are The Champions, eh?
      Well, it was that or Sliver Salmon, but nobody's heard of that one.*

* But, yes, it is the real name of a real Queen song.

~ Le Messor
      "Never buy a thing you don't want merely because it is dear."
      ~ Oscar Wilde