• MORE Sam Humphries Talks Uncanny X-Force & Puck

Over at CBR, an interview with Sam Humphries, the writer for the upcoming Uncanny X-Force series has some interesting info about Puck.

"...Puck will also have his own unique perspective on morality and killing. It's perspective that is colored by the many exploits he's had over his long life, especially his recent escape from hell and subsequent resurrection.

"Puck has had had a lot of experiences in his lifetime. He's an adventurer and an explorer. He's the Canadian Indiana Jones. He was a bouncer in Saskatchewan. He was in Alpha Flight. He was a drinking buddy of Wolverine, and he was in hell. Those are the elements of Puck that we'll be playing up," Humphries explained. "You'll see the smart-ass, the adventurer, the charmer, and the bad-ass. Puck is a guy who even though he's short, has never been in a situation where he couldn't kick some ass."

Puck is unique among the initial cast of "Uncanny X-Force" in that he's not a mutant or a former X-Men villain. He's primarily known as a member of the Canadian super team Alpha Flight, but he does have a number of connections to the mutant community of the Marvel Universe, his biggest being with Wolverine. Those connections allowed Humphries to bring Puck into the book in an organic way and explore his many interesting character traits.
    "I think Puck is an under-recognized nexus of the Marvel Universe. He's a character with a lot of connections to a lot of different groups. He's rough and tumble, but he's also very loyal, very trustworthy, and very dependable," Humphries stated. "His most obvious connection with the X-Men is his friendship with Wolverine, but Storm has a long relationship with Puck as well. They've know each other for years."

Sam also talks a bit about each character over at Newsarama:
    PUCK
    Eugene Milton Judd might not sound like the name of your average roguish butt-kicker, but Puck is no average rogue. The most diminutive member of Canadian Superteam Alpha Flight, Puck has always been an explorer and adventurer as much as a superhero. He's not a natural dwarf, but a mystically-created one, and while he didn't have powers in his earliest appearance, is now possessing of super strength and agility. Oh, and he's literally been to Hell and back after one of those pesky deaths all good comic characters go through.

Sam Says: "He's the Canadian Indiana Jones, a true badass in his own right, but even twice a badass for the way he never lets his stature stop him from finding a way to kick ass. Plus, he's a smart ass. I'm having a blast writing his Saskatchewan swagger."

PLEASE NOTE: THE CHARACTER DESCRIPTION IS PROVIDED BY NEWSARAMA

Shown above is the Ron Garney Variant.
    Uncanny X-Force #1 goes on sale Wednesday, January 23, 2013.
    Comments 27 Comments
      Phil -
      Feel free to comment; everyone's opinions are welcome and not everyone's expected to read or like the series.
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Feel free to comment; everyone's opinions are welcome and not everyone's expected to read or like the series.
      My comments would just be the obvious ones. The series may be good for Puck, but sounds, to me, like it isn't good for the AF team. Alpha being "open but inactive" seems to mean, they are still around, but nobody is doing anything with them. I take that to mean, no, he isn't going to be writing anything about why Puck is with this team instead of AF. He also has no plans to work AF into any stories at this time.

Yes, i am aware that he states he loves Alpha Flight. And that is a good thing, if we take it at face value. But, as far as the team is concerned, avoiding the issues of why Puck is with this team over AF, and not including any AF at least in the early issues he has mapped out, does not equal anything good for AF in my humble opinion.
      Phil -
      That's fine and completely justified.

But, if we didn't focus on Puck in UXF, Northstar in AXM and Jeffries in anything he's in, we'd have nothing to write about on this site and most likely would have folded a while ago.

It is, after all, an X-title and we can't expect him to have to fill up his 20 pages with AF just to please a small minority.

And while it may not equal anything good for AF it doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad for them.
      Flightpath07 -
      But, if we didn't focus on Puck in UXF, Northstar in AXM and Jeffries in anything he's in, we'd have nothing to write about on this site and most likely would have folded a while ago.
      Wait, you mean that this site is still operating!?!

And while it may not equal anything good for AF it doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad for them.
      True. Something bad for them = Bendis. Humphreys is not equal to Bendis, therefore Humphreys is not automatically bad. (It's the new math)

You've got some good points, Phil. They don't make me feel any better about the Alpha Flight team not appearing anywhere currently, but they are still good points.
      Le Messor -
      if we didn't focus on Puck in UXF, Northstar in AXM and Jeffries in anything he's in, we'd have nothing to write about on this site and most likely would have folded a while ago.
      I fold all the time. My desk at work is covered in origami!
      (Also, saying 'this book doesn't look like it's gonna be good for the team' isn't the same as 'don't mention this book on the site'.)

I noticed he kept dodging the Alpha Flight question: the asker was asking 'will they be mentioned?' and he kept answering 'will they appear?', which is not the same question.

~ Le Messor
      "You know, for an interviewer you sure ask a lot of questions!"
      ~ Stripperella
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      (Also, saying 'this book doesn't look like it's gonna be good for the team' isn't the same as 'don't mention this book on the site'.)
      Oh, I get that completely.
      I just know that at the moment it must seem like everything I'm posting is about UXF and almost that I'm shoving it down people's throats and expecting everyone to buy it & like it - that's honestly not the case and I try to make sure that every article is strictly fact and opinion free.

I noticed he kept dodging the Alpha Flight question: the asker was asking 'will they be mentioned?' and he kept answering 'will they appear?', which is not the same question.
      Yeah, which could go either way and he could be keeping the contents secret or it could just be not touched on at all.
      I'm guessing the latter, but we'll see.
      I tried my hardest to be specific in my questions, but hey...
      Le Messor -
      I just know that at the moment it must seem like everything I'm posting is about UXF and almost that I'm shoving it down people's throats
      Really? No, it doesn't seem like that at all. At least, not to me.
      It just seems like you're posting whatever news you're getting, and atm, that's UXM. Mostly.

I tried my hardest to be specific in my questions, but hey...
      Your questions were clear. Whether he was deliberately not answering, or just go stuck in a rut of thinking you'd asked one thing and couldn't get his mind around the fact you'd asked something slightly different (that happens) is ambiguous.

~ Le Messor
      "It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety."