• MORE Sam Humphries Talks Uncanny X-Force & Puck

Over at CBR, an interview with Sam Humphries, the writer for the upcoming Uncanny X-Force series has some interesting info about Puck.

"...Puck will also have his own unique perspective on morality and killing. It's perspective that is colored by the many exploits he's had over his long life, especially his recent escape from hell and subsequent resurrection.

"Puck has had had a lot of experiences in his lifetime. He's an adventurer and an explorer. He's the Canadian Indiana Jones. He was a bouncer in Saskatchewan. He was in Alpha Flight. He was a drinking buddy of Wolverine, and he was in hell. Those are the elements of Puck that we'll be playing up," Humphries explained. "You'll see the smart-ass, the adventurer, the charmer, and the bad-ass. Puck is a guy who even though he's short, has never been in a situation where he couldn't kick some ass."

Puck is unique among the initial cast of "Uncanny X-Force" in that he's not a mutant or a former X-Men villain. He's primarily known as a member of the Canadian super team Alpha Flight, but he does have a number of connections to the mutant community of the Marvel Universe, his biggest being with Wolverine. Those connections allowed Humphries to bring Puck into the book in an organic way and explore his many interesting character traits.
    "I think Puck is an under-recognized nexus of the Marvel Universe. He's a character with a lot of connections to a lot of different groups. He's rough and tumble, but he's also very loyal, very trustworthy, and very dependable," Humphries stated. "His most obvious connection with the X-Men is his friendship with Wolverine, but Storm has a long relationship with Puck as well. They've know each other for years."

Sam also talks a bit about each character over at Newsarama:
    PUCK
    Eugene Milton Judd might not sound like the name of your average roguish butt-kicker, but Puck is no average rogue. The most diminutive member of Canadian Superteam Alpha Flight, Puck has always been an explorer and adventurer as much as a superhero. He's not a natural dwarf, but a mystically-created one, and while he didn't have powers in his earliest appearance, is now possessing of super strength and agility. Oh, and he's literally been to Hell and back after one of those pesky deaths all good comic characters go through.

Sam Says: "He's the Canadian Indiana Jones, a true badass in his own right, but even twice a badass for the way he never lets his stature stop him from finding a way to kick ass. Plus, he's a smart ass. I'm having a blast writing his Saskatchewan swagger."

PLEASE NOTE: THE CHARACTER DESCRIPTION IS PROVIDED BY NEWSARAMA

Shown above is the Ron Garney Variant.
    Uncanny X-Force #1 goes on sale Wednesday, January 23, 2013.
    Comments 27 Comments
      -K-M- -
      Im excited

Also Storm and Puck? Hmmmm....
      Flightpath07 -
      Maybe Storm is/was Zuzha's mom?

Oh, wait...Storm's not Asian. Nevermind!
      Canucklehead -
      Always nice to see some Alphans get screen time. I just hope they drop the "eh?"s.
      rplass -
      Drop the "eh"'s? Why? Isn't that how Puck talks?
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Maybe Storm is/was Zuzha's mom?

Oh, wait...Storm's not Asian. Nevermind!
      Psylocke's body is...

Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
      Drop the "eh"'s? Why? Isn't that how Puck talks?
      Yeah, I like Puck using "eh"
      The others, it doesn't work, but with Eugene it does.

I recall an issue where he addresses his use of the word, in Volume 2 maybe?
      -K-M- -
      I like him using it. He's a joke character that still kicks ass. Sort of how like Spider-Man or Deadpool cracks jokes during fights.
      Flightpath07 -
      He's a joke character

I'm going to assume you meant that, as in, "He is a character who jokes around a lot"...
      -K-M- -
      Yes
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Psylocke's body is...

Hm. Good point. It would be...interesting...to know how much of Puck's past Humphries is aware of and wishes to touch on...

Yes
      Hurrah! I successfully interpreted somebody's meaning on this forum! YES!!! The world is my oyster now! Look out, Master, there's a new...er, 'Master', I guess...in town! Bwah ha ha hah!
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Hm. Good point. It would be...interesting...to know how much of Puck's past Humphries is aware of and wishes to touch on...
      While I didn't think to bring up Zusha, I went down that route with Sam.
      With the delay to #1 I should be posting the interview within a fortnight now.
      Canucklehead -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Yeah, I like Puck using "eh"
      The others, it doesn't work, but with Eugene it does.

I recall an issue where he addresses his use of the word, in Volume 2 maybe?
      As long as he uses it sparingly and properly. No more of that "Hey, eh?" crap from Lobdell's run.
      -K-M- -
      Yeah, I dont want him to finish ever sentence with eh? I dont think we have to worry about that here though
      sengsterooney -
      I'm impressed. It sounds like Sam really knows Puck's/Judd's character. This makes me really look forward to UXF later this month. Woot!

Also, I think we need to lay the Raazer thing to rest.. I thought Steve Seagle had written that out of continuity?
      Flightpath07 -
      Also, I think we need to lay the Raazer thing to rest.. I thought Steve Seagle had written that out of continuity?
      Others will correct me if I am wrong, but i believe that, unfortunately, Razer is 'canon'.
      -K-M- -
      Naaaa sadly still canon, it's still mentioned in his handbook entry.
      Phil -
      Sam's currently taking part in an AMA on Reddit, if any of you want to ask him a question:-
      http://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/c...uncanny_xforce

I'll clip any Puck related questions together and post them when it's all finished.
      Le Messor -
      I've got mixed feelings about what I'm reading here. It's looking better and better, though.
      Phil -
      From Sam's AMA:

theonizemus
      Was it your choice to bring back Puck?
      samhumphries
      Yes! Puck was Nick/Axel's suggestion, but they left it up to me. So glad he's in the book.
      j0nnyboy
      Hi Sam. With Puck on the team I'm guessing you might do a little backstory on why he leaves Alpha Flight (are they still in commission)?
      samhumphries
      As far as I'm aware, Alpha Flight is an open but inactive concern.
      worlddumbination
      Will they be mentioned in the book at all?
      samhumphries
      No plans to involve them currently.
      worlddumbination
      That's cool, and fully understandable. I just wondered if his time with them/how Storm knows him would be referenced at all for new readers.
      samhumphries
      I do love Alpha Flight, so if I can work them in, I will!
      worlddumbination
      Is the UXF team going to be based anywhere in particular?
      samhumphries
      Downtown Los Angeles, for awhile.
      worlddumbination
      Any chance of a Puck-centric storyline set in Canada somewhere down the line? So little of his past has been mapped out so far.
      samhumphries
      Would love to do a Puck solo adventure. That would be so bad ass.
      myowngalactus
      Also why Puck? Nothing against him, it just seems like an odd choice.
      samhumphries
      Puck a) is a bad ass, b) is a smart ass, and c) can kick a whole lot of ass.
      http://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/c...uncanny_xforce
      Flightpath07 -
      I could comment, but as somebody who doesn't plan on buying this series, perhaps i'll just let sleeping dogs lie. Or is that let lying dogs sleep?