• Astonishing X-Men #57 Preview

Marvel have provided a 5 page preview of next weeks Astonishing X-Men #57 by Marjorie Liu & Gabriel Hernadez-Walta; the first issue in a new story arc of the title including Northstar & Kyle:

ASTONISHING X-MEN #57

MARJORIE LIU (W) • GABRIEL HERNANDEZ WALTA (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    • Warbird takes Manhattan!
    • What secret is she hiding, and will it endanger the team?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Comments 11 Comments
      Flightpath07 -
      That art is...not my preferred style.
      Phil -
      I like it more than I used to; he's definitely come on a lot since the X-Club oneshot he did.
      And I'm more impressed with the Northstar & Kyle than I thought I would be.
      rplass -
      Oh, I loved the art on that X-Club oneshot!

Liking this one too, and I'm thinking it's the closest thing we're going to get from a Marvel Holiday Spectactular in 2012, kinda depressing issue so far tho...

Still loving the realistic NYC images in this title! yay NYC w00t!

And for the record, Kyle is wrong and I'm disappointed that bad info is perpetuated. "They" do not try to deport everyone who is here illegally and deportation is not race-based. Deportation is only for those who are here illegally who have a criminal record. US Govt has stopped deportation for everyone else. And the racial mix of deportees is determined by who enters and who commits crime, not by policy.
      Phil -
      Technically Jean-Paul is there illegally and has a criminal record though...
      rplass -
      What's illegal is the Defense of Marriage Act, signed by Bill Clinton in 1996, which prevents their marital status from conferrng citizenship
      rights onto Kyle's spouse.
      Flightpath07 -
      Technically Jean-Paul is there illegally and has a criminal record though
      Good point, Phil. J-P would never be allowed across the border into the USA. I guess the Marvel 616 is just different than our reality.
      rplass -
      The reality is that anyone who wants to cross the border into the USA may do so. We do not have border fences from sea to shining sea. There is little to no border patrol at all on any of our borders. Deportation is ineffective because deportees may re-enter at will.
      Phil -
      Yeah, but we're not on about crossing the border, we're on about relocating there permemnantly.
      However, presuming that the previous Xavier's School registered him as a teacher he'd have been able to obtain a Green Card that way on his first spell as an X-Man.
      Flightpath07 -
      The reality is that anyone who wants to cross the border into the USA may do so.
      Sorry, but i am aware of many people, some personally, with criminal records (most of them are as acts when a juvenile, many years before) who were denied entry to America from Canada due to said criminal record.

You may be able to walk across the border, but you won't get past a border guard. Any wishing to cross may do so, but many would have to do so illegally or not at all.

However, i get that you are saying that J-P wouldn't have to stop at a border crossing; especially travelling at his rate of speed.
      Le Messor -
      I imagine a lot depends on where, precisely, you cross the border. If you use a road / airport, yeah, they could stop you.
      If you go through some backwoods, not by any path, I don't see them being able to.

Also, I kind of like the art.

~ Le Messor
      "He was arrested for smuggling rich white Americans across the border to pick melons in Mexico."
      ~ Murder By Death(?)
      Phil -
      There's a Northstar-less preview of #58 up at http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime...id=4415&page=9