• Marvel Solicits For March 2013

Marvel have released their solicitations for March 2013 including the following titles that feature Alpha Flight related characters*

Ultimate Comics Wolverine #1 & 2 (of 4)
    CULLEN BUNN (W) • RAMON ROSANAS (A)
    Cover by ART ADAMS
    Variant cover by AXEL TORVENIUS
    • Jimmy Hudson’s quest to discover the answers about his past begins here!
    • What mission was Wolverine on that led to the birth of Jimmy?
    • A story that will rock the Ultimate Universe’s family tree forever!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

UNCANNY X-FORCE #3
    Sam Humphries (W) • Ron Garney (A)
    Cover by KRIS ANKA
    Variant Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
    • This is it! Bishop vs. UNCANNY X-FORCE!
    • Bishop has amazing new powers that help him take down X-Force. But how did Bishop get the new power?
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

X-Termination #1
    DAVID LAPHAM, MARJORIE LIU & GREG PAK (W) DAVID LOPEZ (A)
    Cover by ED MCGUINNESS THE X-TERMINATION EVENT STARTS HERE!
    • Joining together the teams from ASTONISHING X-MEN, AGE OF APOCALYPSE and X-TREME X-MEN, and spinning out of the pages of UNCANNY X-FORCE.
    • AOA Nightcrawler just wants to get home...and he doesn’t care if he takes out our world to get there.
    • Wolverine versus Nightcrawler!

ASTONISHING X-MEN #60
    Marjorie Liu (W) • MATTEO BUFFAGNI (A)
    Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
    Variant cover by PHIL NOTO (Shown)
    PART 2 of X-TERMINATION EVENT!
    • With Nightcrawler wreaking havoc on the very fabric of reality, Wolverine calls in his street team.
    • Confronted with the doppelganger of their dead friend, will the team be able to do what’s necessary to stop him?
    • Wolverine versus Wolverine!?

ASTONISHING X-MEN VOL. 11: WEAPONIZED TPB
    Written by MARJORIE LIU & CHRISTOS GAGE
    Penciled by MIKE PERKINS & DAVID BALDEON
    Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
    It’s the explosive aftermath to the year’s most talked-about wedding! The X-Men are on the run, and Northstar accepts a deadly assignment. Meanwhile, newlywed Kyle learns the hard way marrying Northstar also meant marrying his family. And in this case, that means the X-Men! Will Kyle and Northstar survive their first married mission? Meanwhile, Susan Hatchi reveals her connection to the X-Men. How long can the team survive with her nanobombs circulating through their bloodstreams?As Hatchitech weapons start appearing around the globe and civilians are caught in the crossfire, the X-Men must make a decision: take down Hatchi or save their teammate Karma! Plus: Someone is attacking friends and associates of the X-Men, and it’s up to Wolverine and his team to stop them. Collecting ASTONISHING X-MEN (2004) #52-56 and ANNUAL #1.
    144 PGS./Rated T+ ...$19.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-6415-9

*Presuming Northstar appears in X-Termination
    Comments 50 Comments
      Le Messor -
      To me it feels a lot like 'our' characters have been assimilated by the X-Men. Which kind of brings 'them' publicity, but also takes away from Alpha...

Does that make any sense?
      Or am I just being negative as usual?

Can't it be both?

~ Le Messor
      "It is not every question that deserves an answer."
      Flightpath07 -
      Does that make any sense?
      It does. And i tend to agree with you.
      -K-M- -
      Yeah I said that in another thread as well.
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      Yeah I said that in another thread as well.
      Well then, I STILL agree with it.
      Phil -
      I think it's a company-wide thing, as X-Men characters are being assimilated into The Avengers.
      Of all the non-mutant characters to join a non-AF team I'd have said Sasquatch and Puck would make sense.

I'm happy they're getting exposure, as long as they're written well.
      Flightpath07 -
      I think that, for myself, it isn't so much the characters (that were part of Alpha Flight) that I love (although i do love many of them), but the way they interacted with each other as a disfunctional family. It's the way Byrne (and a few others) wrote them.

I don't see that, when i see individual Flight members in other comics or on other teams. Not saying it CAN'T happen, just...it rarely does, outside of their own setting.

Which is why i gravitate toward Alpha Flight, as a team, appearing in other comics, rather than individuals who are/were part of Alpha Flight appearing elsewhere. At least with the full team, they have a chance to play off of each other as they were intended to (if written correctly and well).

Just my opinion on it.
      Phil -
      But would you personally rather see nothing at all from the entire team until it's next series (if at all) or indivdual appearances?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      But would you personally rather see nothing at all from the entire team until it's next series (if at all) or indivdual appearances?
      Personally, it's a whole bunch of things together that made John Byrne's AF my favourite series, and I'm not seeing that at all anymore.
      I'd still like to see the team, as a team, making occasional guest appearances...

However, given the choice you outline... I'd rather see individuals join other teams - but that's for your sake, not mine. I don't care anymore about individuals in other teams.
      I don't care about Northstar in X-Men; I do care about him as part of the AF team. Me not caring means, if you want to read him, I wish you well... but I'm getting way behind on my collection of his appearances.

~ Le Messor
      "It is only with the heart that one see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      Flightpath07 -
      I agree with LM.

But, if I had to answer your question honestly, Phil, the answer would be; I'm not sure.
      Alphan East -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      I'd still like to see the team, as a team, making occasional guest appearances...
      I don't care about Northstar in X-Men; I do care about him as part of the AF team.
      These are my thoughts exactly. The characters are fine on their own, depending on how they're written and used. But when it gets right down to it... I love Alpha Flight. To me, the team has always been more than the sum of it's parts.
      I enjoyed X-Men #109... but X-Men #120 & 121 was one of my favourite story arcs ever.
      The Mayan Rule Hulk saga was good... but Alpha Flight vol. 4 was spectacular.
      If the team truly is broken up and scattered to the four winds of the Marvel Universe, I'll pick up the odd appearance... but it still won't be "THE TEAM".
      Flightpath07 -
      If the team truly is broken up and scattered to the four winds of the Marvel Universe, I'll pick up the odd appearance... but it still won't be "THE TEAM".
      The way i look at it is, using Puck as an example - if Puck is in Westchester (sp?) hanging at the Jean Grey School and going on missions based from there, then he cannot realistically still be at the beck and call of Alpha Flight to go out on a daily basis and keep Canada safe.

Which means he is not currently serving with Alpha Flight.

Which, if so, is bad.

As Volume 4 taught us, Northstar is no longer part of Alpha Flight (although he may appear with them from time to time). It's pretty obvious that Jeffries is not a part of Alpha either (and indeed may not even remember AF exists, imho).

But Alphans like Puck showing up on other teams...I'm happy for those of you who love Eugene enough to gobble up these appearances. And i hope more people come to know and love him. But, to me...unless you believe Marvel's reasoning that Wolverine can be on every team (in every time and in every universe) at the same time, because Marvel says he can...well, this X-Force Puck tells me that there is no more Alphan Puck.

So, I guess I feel that breaking the team apart and putting characters in other places, waters down everything that I love about Alpha Flight.
      Phil -
      With regards to Puck & AF, let's wait till January and see what that holds...
      Flightpath07 -
      January? Like as in January Jones, Miss Emma Frost?

Or, as in January, when we get a new interview to read?

Or as in, January, when I get older? (Well, technically i get older pretty much every day of the year...)
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      The way i look at it is, using Puck as an example - if Puck is in Westchester (sp?) hanging at the Jean Grey School and going on missions based from there, then he cannot realistically still be at the beck and call of Alpha Flight
      But, to me...unless you believe Marvel's reasoning that Wolverine can be on every team
      You kind of made my counter-argument for me there. And I'll still be trying out Uncanny X-Force...
      We'll see how long for, though.

With regards to Puck & AF, let's wait till January and see what that holds...
      Heat, surfing, and Nightwish?

~ Le Messor
      "It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of different opinion."
      ~ William Ralph Inge
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Or, as in January, when we get a new interview to read?
      The interview and #1 itself.
      Phil -
      Marvel Editor & friend of AF.net Mark Paniccia has tweeted me to let us know that "a former Flight Member has a cameo in RED SHE-HULK 63."

The Solicit is:-
      RED SHE-HULK #63
      JEFF PARKER (W) • WELLINTON ALVES & CARLO PAGULAYAN (A)
      Cover by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA
      AN ALL NEW ARC: ROUTE 616
      • Red She-Hulk is S.H.I.E.L.D.’s most wanted!!!
      • Machine Man joins her on a deadly chase across the Marvel U!
      • Jennifer Walters is hot on their trail!
      22 PGS./Parental Advisory …$2.99

which doesn't really help, so... LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN! Anyone got any guesses?
      Flightpath07 -
      Anyone got any guesses?
      Yes. Actually, i have got quite a few; I figure that if I guess enough, eventually i will get one right.

No real clue as to who it is, though.
      Le Messor -
      I'll be very disappointed if it's Wolverine...

Sasquatch is the closest-connected to the Hulks.

~ Le Messor
      "It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats."
      Phil -
      For some reason I'm thinking Talisman...
      Phil -
      WOW!

VERY well played Jeff Parker, nicely done. Lovely cameo.