• Uncanny X-Force starring....PUCK!

Announced today on Comics Alliance, as part of Marvel's Marvel NOW! initiative the January launching Uncanny X-Force #1 by Sam Humphries and Ron Garney will feature Puck as part of it's line-up!

The group that we start off with right off the bat is Psylocke, Storm, Puck and Spiral, and we have a few more characters joining the group in the first few issues. In my mind, all those characters are wild cards. They're all strong personalities, they're all strong in terms of their powers, they've all got dark secrets and they've all got a rebellious streak. That to me is a really attractive part of the book, being able to balance all those character dynamics at once.

CA: When I think of the most powerful X-Men characters, Puck is definitely one that always comes to mind.

SH: [Laughs] Oh, you sweet talker. Don't lie to me. I think Puck is a character that deserves more love. He's like a Canadian Indiana Jones, he's an adventurer. He's also gone out and faced a lot of dark stuff out in the world, but he does it with this wry sense of humor. He's a guy that despite being short of stature, he always finds a way to kick somebody's ass. That kind of character who has a wit and determination is fun to write, and I think he's going to be a good mix with these other characters in the book who all tend to be super-serious all the time.
    http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...ies-on-taking/

Marvel NOW! follows on from this Summer's Avengers Versus X-Men event, and sees a more integrated Marvel Universe, which we previously speculated would bring Alphans more into the MU.

The addition of Puck to the book sees Puck continue a higher profile in the MU from his appearances in the Wolverine Goes To Hell arc.

No preview artwork is available as it stands, but Garney has previously drawn Puck in Uncanny X-Men #421-#422.

With Northstar in Astonishing X-Men, Puck in Uncanny X-Force, and hopefully Jeffries somewhere in an X-book it's a good time for regular guest appearences.

Stay tuned to AlphaFlight.net for more information as it arises!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Uncanny X-Force starring....PUCK! started by Tiberius Bane View original post
    Comments 41 Comments
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Bane View Post
      ...they're all strong in terms of their powers...
      I'm liking the way he talks about Puck (as the Canadian Indiana Jones), but "strong in terms of his powers"?

I figure this will start with Marvel Now Uncanny X-Force #1? 'coz I'm gonna have to put it on my SO at my LCS ASAP.
      QED.

~ Le Messor
      "In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these."
      ~ Paul Harvey
      -K-M- -
      Whaaaaa? Im happy he will be getting exposure, but Puck isn't a mutant.
      -K-M- -
      Oh wait Uncanny X-Force, nevermind then. I thought this was the Cable team.

Awesome, I was worried it was that book as that looks bad.
      -----
      Here's another article about it, and this book is the "Killers" teaser from a while ago

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/09/1...rce-relaunched
      -K-M- -
      I was first worried as I thought it was the Cable X-Force book, but now knowing it's not Im actually excited for this
      DMK -
      Yeah, it's for a new Uncanny X-Force relaunching as part of Marvel NOW! As for the powers remark... I wonder if this guy's gonna use the Nicieza power-set? The one that obviously went away but no-one ever mentioned why?
      sengsterooney -
      I read this this morning and now have the biggest grin on my face. THE BIGGEST GRIN!!

Who would have thought, in a month of Sundays, that Puck would feature in an X book?? I am so stoked!

As for Puck not being a mutant -- I think the idea for Marvel NOW is to mix things up a bit and to blur the distinction between the mutant/non-mutant books eg. mutants are now in two Avengers teams...

YAY FOR UNCANNY X-FORCE! )))
      Flightpath07 -
      As for Puck not being a mutant
      As exciting as this news is, and potentially it is VERY exciting, I am tempering my enthusiasm a bit until i see how the series is written and how Puck is handled.

I mean, who knows? Maybe they will ret-con Puck into a mutant with the power to trap evil sorcerers inside of himself? You never know...

“This spins directly out of the events of Rick's run, but it takes the concept of X-Force, the mandate of the book and the characters down a new path with a new focus.”

Here is hoping this means we won’t see Puck wrestling with whether or not to kill a bad guy; in my mind, that option is not one Puck would ever debate, he is not a killer. Of course, the huge "KILLERS" banner gives me much pause; I am hoping the team is just a fan of the band?

“I was a huge X-Men fan growing up, a huge Claremont and Simonson era fan”

This sounds promising. Two good writers to be fans of. And with being a Claremont fan, he should be familiar with the origins of Alpha Flight, so maybe we’ll see them show up on occasion in this book?

“The group that we start off with right off the bat is Psylocke, Storm, Puck and Spiral, and we have a few more characters joining the group in the first few issues.”

The best part about Spiral, is that she is a teleporter, meaning we might see Spiral dropping by AF HQ to pick up Puck for a mission?
      -K-M- -
      I think it will be fine, I read the article after my Puck comment being not a mutant and Spiral isn't a mutant either and she is on the team. So it may be like Uncanny Avengers and joint between the X-Men and Avengers. Either way I'll be picking it up.
      Flightpath07 -
      Ah yes. i forgot that Spiral is from another dimension or some such thing. Seeing as how she has almost exclusively been an X-foe over her career (or so it feels), its easy to lose sight of her non-mutancy.

I take that back. Although mainly a resident of Mojoverse, she was originally a human from Earth.
      Phil -
      As an aside, what I really see as encouraging is that in the 12 hours after the announcement, Sam Humphries was on Twitter replying to almost every single fan that tweeted him with questions/congratulations/comments.
      Including a potential interview with us, when the book's out.
      Phil -
      I've added a bit more to the article.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Here is hoping this means we won’t see Puck wrestling with whether or not to kill a bad guy; in my mind, that option is not one Puck would ever debate, he is not a killer.
      Axshally... and this goes all the way back to Byrne, I believe, he WAS a killer. He promised Mac he wouldn't kill again when he joined Alpha (don't know the exact reference off my head).

So, him killing wouldn't be entirely OOC.

Of course, the huge "KILLERS" banner gives me much pause; I am hoping the team is just a fan of the band?
      Look, he's got soul, but he's not a soldier.
      He's got ham, but he's not a hamster.

“I was a huge X-Men fan growing up, a huge Claremont and Simonson era fan” This sounds promising.
      *Sigh* They always say that. Every single new writer who's written an Alpha book has claimed to be a fan of Byrne's run.
      I stopped listening after v3.

Not saying this UXF won't be good - but I am saying that statement means exactly nothing.

~ Le Messor
      "In this world, truth can wait; she's used to it."
      Flightpath07 -
      but I am saying that statement means exactly nothing
      So...as an existential question, what is nothing, exactly?
      Le Messor -
      So...as an existential question, what is nothing, exactly?
      It is what I got in answer to that question.
      -K-M- -
      aaaaaaand don't forget

WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN #18 & 19
      JASON AARON (W) • NICK BRADSHAW & STEVEN SANDERS (A&C)
      Covers by NICK BRADSHAW
      • The second year of the most talked-about new X-Book starts here!
      • One of the students is on death’s door and the faculty must 1) try to keep them alive and 2) find who did it!
      With one of the teachers on the outs, a new one must be hired. Who will it be?
      • Who is the new student at the school?
      32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

So Puck may appear in two books as a regular character.
      Flightpath07 -
      "May", yes. Or it could be another Alphan. Maybe Marrina is teaching swimming classes?
      Phil -
      It's unlikely, as UXF is supposed to be a secret covert team that the rest of the world don't know about, so I don't think he'll be flaunting it.
      #20's solicit reveals that Storm is the new teacher, so I suppose that as they're on the same team we may see the odd cameo of Eugene hanging at the school.
      Remender's run was tied quite closely with W&TX so Humhries run could well be too.
      batman_von_gein -
      i'll have to add this to my list a lcs but i hope they do keep puck the way he always has been and not something to fit better in the story
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by batman_von_gein View Post
      i'll have to add this to my list a lcs but i hope they do keep puck the way he always has been and not something to fit better in the story
      Hm. Didn't FVL and Pak already change Puck, when they made him all insane and cuckoo?
      Phil -
      I'd imagine that that was to the after-effects of having returned from Hell and whatever The Master's Department H did to him to get him back from there/afterwards (A story I kinda hope Humphries toys with down the line) and that their plan was to sort him out had there been time. (It screwed up Wolverine too, when he returned, to be fair.

He was together by the time Hulk:Mayan Rule came around.