• Marvel Solicits For October 2012

Marvel have released their solicitations for October 2012 including the following titles featuring Alpha Flight & it's characters:-

WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN #18 & 19
    JASON AARON (W) • NICK BRADSHAW & STEVEN SANDERS (A&C)
    Covers by NICK BRADSHAW
    • The second year of the most talked-about new X-Book starts here!
    • One of the students is on death’s door and the faculty must 1) try to keep them alive and 2) find who did it!
    • With one of the teachers on the outs, a new one must be hired. Who will it be?
    • Who is the new student at the school?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

(#18 Cover shown, Alphans may not appear inside or in #19)

ASTONISHING X-MEN #55
    MARJORIE LIU (W) • MIKE PERKINS (A)
    Cover BY PHIL NOTO
    • Hatchitech weapons start showing up around the globe, and civilians are caught in the crossfire
    • The team must make a decision…take down Hatchi or save Karma!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

SECRET AVENGERS BY RICK REMENDER VOL. 2 PREMIERE HC
    Written by RICK REMENDER
    Penciled by RENATO GUEDES, GABRIEL HARDMAN & MATTEO SCALERA
    Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS
    AVX tie-in! Thor leads a secret team of Avengers on a suicide mission to stop the Phoenix by any means necessary! Who is Minister Marvel, and why has he drawn the Phoenix to the Kree homeworld? The Avengers devise a way to save the Kree, but one man stands in their way: the original Captain Marvel, reborn to unite his people! Can Ms. Marvel and the Protector break free of Minister Marvel’s influence to aid their former companions? Plus: Can Hawkeye and Black Widow unmask the spy on their team in time to prevent tragedy? And as Hawkeye, Venom and Ant-Man face the Masters of Evil — an army of villains unlike any ever seen before — to save Max Fury, the Shadow Council’s true goal is revealed! Enter the power of the Abyss! Collecting SECRET AVENGERS #26-32.
    160 PGS./Rated T+ …$29.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-6120-2
    Trim size: standard

(Includes Pink Pearl)

RED HULK: MAYAN RULE TPB
    Written by JEFF PARKER
    Penciled by DALE EAGLESHAM
    Cover by DALE EAGLESHAM
    It’s the end of the world as we know it when the gods walk the Earth, and the hands of the doomsday clock race towards Mayan rule! Former Avengers arrive to help the Red Hulk try to stop the end of all things, but the heroes suffer a devastating blow when Rick “A-Bomb” Jones falls in battle! Can even our favorite scarlet powerhouse hope to stand against the entire Mayan pantheon as they continue to remake the world in their own image? Is this the end of Red Hulk? And if so, what horrible fate awaits the human race? Guest starring Alpha Flight, Machine Man, She-Hulks and more! Collecting HULK (2008 )#53-57.
    120 PGS./Rated T+ …$16.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-6097-7

ALPHA FLIGHT CLASSIC VOL. 3 TPB
    Written by JOHN BYRNE & BILL MANTLO
    Penciled by JOHN BYRNE & MIKE MIGNOLA
    Cover by JOHN BYRNE
    Concluding John Byrne’s legendary run! Canada’s mightiest heroes face threats of all sizes, ranging from the overweight Pink Pearl to the maniacal alchemist Diablo! And when the terrible secret of Sasquatch’s origin is revealed, Alpha Flight must battle the Great Beasts in their own realm — and pay a fearsome price! Then, Alpha Flight’s former leader, Guardian, returns from the grave — or does he? What’s he doing palling around with the villainous Omega Flight? And where does the Beyonder fit in? Finally, when Alpha Flight goes fishing in another dimension, they accidentally hook the Incredible Hulk! Will the jade giant smash the heroes beyond all repair? Only the series’ new creative team knows! It’s north-of-the-border action just the way you like it! Collecting ALPHA FLIGHT (1983) #20-29 and INCREDIBLE HULK (1968 ) #313.
    280 PGS./Rated T …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-6292-6
    Comments 36 Comments
      Le Messor -
      I'm not sure what the AF connection is for any of those?

Well, maybe the last one. Maybe.
      I'm guessing N'star is in Astonishing? And maybe Wolvie & X?

We've had discussions about the Secret Avengers, haven't we? So I should know.

- Le Messor
      Spike: "I'm drowning in footwear!" (Sits up) "Weird dream."
      Phil -
      For the first two, enlarge the covers.
      Le Messor -
      You mean do research myself? Use my brain?
      Never!

(soon...)
      Oooh, those bullets are people. I get it. And there's Northstar.

Sas & Puck? The Wolvie & X issues are on my list now.

- Le Messor
      "No nation was ever ruined by trade."
      ~ Benjamin Franklin
      Phil -
      Like I've added above it might just be the cover of #18.
      They're solicited together and vaguely so.
      I can't be held responsible if you order them and they're not in them!
      -K-M- -
      Odd crossover there, you have Kitty Pride (& Lockheed), Deathlok, Sasquatch, Puck, Desdpool, Blade, Ghost Rider & Dr.Nemesis. Series has been fun since it started so ill pick it up.
      Chris -
      Looks like Wolverine & the X-Men #18 will be my first time trying this book. And then it will probably be cancelled in November and relaunched in December.
      Sypes -
      MArvel is really after my money! And it's working
      Chris -
      If Wolverine & the X-Men does get cancelled, I hope it gets relaunched as Wolverine & Alpha Flight. That would rock!
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      I can't be held responsible if you order them and they're not in them!
      True, but that won't stop me hunting you down!

- Le Messor
      Honey Horné: I'm goning to be frank.
      Garth: OK. Can I still be Garth?
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      True, but that won't stop me hunting you down!

- Le Messor
      Honey Horné: I'm goning to be frank.
      Garth: OK. Can I still be Garth?
      Careful; we all know where you live, now. And what colour car you drive.
      Le Messor -
      The colour-blind ones don't! They can't even see my red door.

- Le Messor
      Fester: I'm her husband.
      Debbie: Fester!
      Fester: Gimme a kiss.
      Debbie: Gimme a twenty.
      Alphan East -
      I'll be picking up a copy of the third and fourth ones.
      Flightpath07 -
      Well, Wolvie and the X-Men is on my pull list still, so I'll get those. And Classics Volume 3 I'll pick up. Think that's about it, though.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Is Wolverine and The X-Men an in-continuity series or an alternate universe series? Pink Pearl in Secret Avengers?...LOL!

Dana
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      Is Wolverine and The X-Men an in-continuity series or an alternate universe series?
      It's in continuity; it's one of the teams formed after the Schism.

- Le Messor
      "I'm making a home movie called The Thing That Grew in My Refrigerator."
      Flightpath07 -
      Yes, and the Schism came before the Vs, but after...oh, nevermind. Let`s just say Marvel does this every year, if not twice per year. Why write great stories across-the-board, when you can just do big events.
      Phil -
      Because the majority of people see the events as great stories and buy them.
      Le Messor -
      I've heard of people who actually complain about all the non-event issues filling time between events.
      Flightpath07 -
      Because the majority of people see the events as great stories and buy them
      Phil, i respectfully submit that your idea of "majority" must be much different than mine.

And, I haven't touched A Vs X, nor will I. I got roped into World War Hulk, and then into the Skrull Invasion. Remind me again how everything changed from those two events? Cuz, i don't see it. And i don't see either of those big Marvel events as having been even remotely necessary. So, i stayed away from Schism (I think i picked up one issue, that was it), and even farther away from AvX; and I don't intend on going anywhere near the next big event that Marvel is about to start pushing, either.

I want creative teams writing good stories and being left alone to go ahead and write them independent of editorial over-involvement; I find most of that is happening in books NOT put out by Marvel and DC, although IMHO DC is way more interesting (since their reboot) than Marvel has been in at least a couple of decades.

For myself, i see "events" as a comic company telling individual artists and writers that they cannot tell an interesting story on their own, without company-wide fan-frenzy-inducement by a huge, over-marketed "event". In the end, then, the only solution to the problem of " not enough people buy comics unless we suck them in with an 'event' " becomes "let's just keep putting out more big events". To me, that is putting band-aids over band-aids, and never fixing the problem to begin with.
      Le Messor -
      FP, I agree with your thoughts on events, and I suspect Phil does too.

The problem is, I believe sales figures around the things prove him right - most comics readers do buy events. That's not to say there aren't dissenting opinions, like yours and mine, but that the majority of people do buy them.

I think they'll continue until events comics and tie-ins have lower sales than the rest; which is unlikely to happen. People reading their serieses probably won't drop them during crossovers (which I have been known to do), and people reading the crossovers are just that much likelier to buy them.

- Le Messor
      "I'm not cynical - just experienced."