• Astonishing X-Men #51 Review + Thoughts *SLIGHT SPOILERS*

This review won't spoil the ongoing storyline from Astonishing X-Men #48-50, and instead focuses upon the depictions of Northstar, Kyle and the rest of Alpha Flight and a general take on the creative team's issue as a whole, giving minor details specifically about the wedding. These are what I class as minor spoilers; you may class them as more than that so if you read on you have been warned.

From the buzz and media hype from this time last month we know the marrying couple are confirmed to be Jean-Paul and Kyle.
    It's a massive thing for a comic, and whilst not the first gay marriage in comics (The Authority, Archie) it's the first for a mainstream superhero and for the now Disney-owned Marvel it's a very big step in the right direction, so it's only fitting that the honours go to Northstar, the first publically gay Superhero.

There have been issues raised about the length of time that Northstar and Kyle have been together.
    When we first met Kyle in Uncanny X-Men #508 the two were already together and a firm couple.
    Whilst Kyle hasn't had much panel time since then (Nation X #2, Alpha Flight (Vol.4) #0.1-8, Astonishing X-Men #48-present) it was never established how long the two had been together.
    The last time we'd seen Northstar previous to UXM #508 were Secret Invasion:X-Men #2 and X-Men: Divided We Stand #2, both minor appearances, neither or which we saw anything to say Northstar wasn't already with him. Previous to that was 2007's X-Men Annual #1.
    They could well have been together since then.
    When Kyle was introduced it was as manager of Northstar's brand, which could well have been running since before Uncanny X-Men #392 when Northstar was on his Book Tour.
    Whilst Northstar was single during Chuck Austen's run on Uncanny (UXM #414-) it could well be speculated that he already knew Kyle at that time, even if not romantically, with Kyle organising his Book Tour.

But that's all my speculation.

Even with the facetime Kyle and Northstar's relationship has had, it's still the longest relationship we've seen Northstar have, and not the quickest superhero marriage.
    And let's remember that Jean-Paul is a speedster and for him, this is probably slow.

Liu handles Northstar and Kyle's relationship really well in my opinion.
    Kyle's change of heart from the end of last issue fully makes sense and you can feel the love he shares for Jean-Paul. It's nice to see a superhero in a relationship with a non-superhero and while we've seen that Kyle did get captured and end up having to be saved, he walked into the situation looking for his man. Kyle's not just some stereotypical equivalent of a damsel-in-distress, and hopefully this will continue throughout the relationship.

Aurora is a character I've wanted to see Liu write for a while now, after reading her Cecilia Reyes and X-23 and while she isn't in it more than the previews we've already seen, I'm very happy with her. She too isn't portrayed as a victim or flakey, and her concern for her brother is touching.

Sasquatch is the character I most have the problem with.
    He isn't in it for long, but does have dialogue.
    I know we've seen him speak at Northstar's funeral but out of all of Alpha Flight I think he's the person Jean-Paul would least like to be there and seems an odd-choice to say what he says.
    But I suppose it's a happy occasion so the two may finally be at ease.
    HOWEVER Walter makes what COULD be interpreted as a traditional 'Alpha Flight as a joke' comment... Although it is at the expense of the Avengers & X-Men and very much written for the (Reader's) timing of AvX, so we'll let it slide.

The issue of gay marriage and it's place in society is touched upon in several scenes.
    One scene displays Warbird refusing to go to the wedding, and while both her and Northstar are pained by it, there is an underlined respect between the two.
    Another involves Havok and Puck, who while happy for the couple represent the side that while respecting and accepting don't quite know if it's right or not.
    I was quite taken back by these character choices as Havok always seemed close to J-P during Austen's run, and Puck has always been written as tolerant and accepting of all, so while they're not insulting it is a bit jarring. It's worth it for the art though - Puck on a high stool drinking beer before the ceremony!

(There's also a quite funny panel of Guardian arm-wrestling Rogue!)

The ceremony itself goes without a hitch!
    Yup, defying the rule of superhero weddings, as played upon by Kid Omega at the start of the issue.
    No attack, no death of Kyle, no Kyle being turned into a superhero/villain.
    Liu presents a respectful, happy ceremony, with the vows being very sweet and realistic.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the issue. Well done to all involved.
    What're your thoughts?
    Comments 5 Comments
      Sypes -
      S
      P
      O
      I
      L
      E
      R
      S

Not sure its a spoiler but wnated to give enough space in case. What's up with Sasquatch in this one? All of a sudden, he's not dumb anymore?
      rplass -
      S
      P
      O
      I
      L
      E
      R
      S
      I thought Warbird's rejection of the ceremony was a general rejection of all wedding ceremonies, not just a same-sex wedding. Seems as if the page can be torn out of the book without changing anything. JP was so blah about it. Not the reaction I was expecting.
      Sasquatch was not in dumb-mode, which I liked. I didn't perceive the slight about Alpha Flight. It seemed appropriate and in-character actually.
      Not sure either about Puck and Havok's conversation. It seemed as if the writer just wanted to have at least SOMEONE saying something about the same-sex wedding. I think it was realistic dialogue for the event. Personally, I wouldn't be so vulgar at a same-sex wedding to utter anything resembling those words but that's me. I agree that Puck and Havok might not have been the best two characters to have the conversation though, but I can't think of anyone better either.
      And my brain is broken from trying to figure out if Puck and Havok had ever met before. Surely they have, no? Only time I can think of is a small smattering of Infinity War issues.
      Overall the most jarring thing about the issue was all the spandex. I think it was a mistake to have all the costumes there. Why the hell was "Doc Hudson" in the EM suit?
      Overall pleased too with all the AF appearances and especially Aurora's part in the issue.
      Alphan East -
      S
      P
      O
      I
      L
      E
      R

Overall, I enjoyed this issue, I thought it was handled with taste and professionalism. I do have two minor grievances however.
      One was the artwork itself, specifically the close-ups. The distance shots were fine, but the up close facial panels just did not seem right... especially Sasquatch. His expressions and appearance were way off and actually distracted me from the story. On the bright side, hopefully the dialogue will signal the end of the ridiculous "dumb-squatch" we've endured recently.
      The second was how Alpha was presented. Besides Storm and Warbird, they were the only ones in their costumes for the ceremony... the others were all dressed in their normal attire. It was as if the creative team assumed, "The readers will recognize everyone else, but we should put Alpha Flight in their suits so people will know who they are." Maybe I'm over-analyzing, but sometimes I dislike the way that Marvel thinks of the Flight.
      On a positive note, I will say that the shining star of the issue for me was Aurora... I thought the artwork and dialogue were spot-on for her. She was only on 6 or 7 pages (and spoke on even less), but when I finished reading, she was what I remembered most.
      Again, overall, I good story done with class.
      Phil -
      Just as a heads up, if anyone is interested in any of the original pages for this issue (and 48-50 too) they're available at http://comicbookartgallery.com/

There is a LOT of interest though.
      Le Messor -
      S
      P
      O
      I
      L
      E
      R

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Sasquatch is the character I most have the problem with.
      He isn't in it for long, but does have dialogue.
      So he's not Hulk-dumb now? Yay!!!

One scene displays Warbird refusing to go to the wedding, and while both her and Northstar are pained by it, there is an underlined respect between the two. Another involves Havok and Puck, who while happy for the couple represent the side that while respecting and accepting don't quite know if it's right or not.
      You mean they showed an alternative point of view without making it look evil and villainous and without talking down?
      They actually had somebody not saying 'you can do anything you want and you're a good boy for doing it', and didn't portray that as the same thing as 'we're going to slaughter you and everybody you know just for hanging out with you'?

Blasphemy!

The ceremony itself goes without a hitch!
      I thought getting hitched was kind of the point...

- Le Messor
      "I'll get you - and your little hand, too!"
      ~ Debbie Jellinsky