• First Look at Astonishing X-Men #51

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at the hotly anticipated wedding of the year in Astonishing X-Men #51! From New York Times best-sellers Marjorie Liu and Mike Perkins, Astonishing X-Men #51 features a who’s who of the Marvel Universe including some guests that may surprise you! Not only does this unforgettable issue feature covers by Dustin Weaver and Marko Djurdjevic, along with a special “Create Your Own Wedding” blank variant cover by Phil Noto, but select comic book retailers nationwide will host wedding parties at their stores to celebrate this joyous occasion! It’s the story that has everyone talking, and this June – witness Northstar and Kyle tie the knot, in Astonishing X-Men #51!

Comments 12 Comments
      swh_comicguy -
      Why is Alpha Flight in costume? That's sooo stupid.
      That's what made Donna Troy's (Wonder Girl) wedding in the New Teen Titans cool. No one was in costume, not even Bruce Wayne. Fans would be able to pick out characters if they were not in costume. Ie. Shaman's long hair, Snowbird's long blonde hair and eyes.
      Complete Marvel FAIL!
      Sypes -
      Maybe they just stopped by on their way to the mayan war
      rplass -
      Dustin Weaver explained the costume thing on his blog:

In one of my sketches I had all the super people wearing suits and dresses, you know, what a sane person wears to a wedding. I was trying to be real about it. How would this really look. When I was told by the editor that they wanted them in costumes I had to let go of my need to be "real". They were going to be wearing costumes. I had to stop running from the cheesy-ness and I'm so glad I did. I realized that the cheesy silliness of these covers is what I like about them. The fact is these characters wear costumes a lot of the time. Wearing a costume to them, in their world, just isn't a silly thing to do. If I lifted these characters from whatever they're doing at any given time they would probably be wearing costumes. Turns out a lot of these characters are currently students at the Jean Grey X-Men school and would be wearing their school uniform. So that's how I thought of it, like I was just showing them as they are. The superhero world looks silly in a wedding scenario because it's not what superheros were built for, but that's the fun of it.
      Sounds reasonable. Dunno why Walter is in Sasquatch form, though
      Flightpath07 -
      Not meaning ot be picky, but if you look at the first (top) panel on page 7...if you coloured Sas green, he could definitely pass for Swamp Thing!
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Not meaning ot be picky, but if you look at the first (top) panel on page 7...if you coloured Sas green, he could definitely pass for Swamp Thing!
      You know they made an action figure that way once, right?

- Le Messor
      "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything."
      ~ author unknown
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by swh_comicguy View Post
      Why is Alpha Flight in costume? That's sooo stupid.
      That's what made Donna Troy's (Wonder Girl) wedding in the New Teen Titans cool. No one was in costume, not even Bruce Wayne. Fans would be able to pick out characters if they were not in costume. Ie. Shaman's long hair, Snowbird's long blonde hair and eyes.
      Complete Marvel FAIL!
      I was going to link you to the earlier article, but Rob's beaten me to it.
      Le Messor -
      It has been said in the past that superhero costumes are accepted as formal wear in the Marvel Universe.

Also, I like the 'forget realism, let's have fun!' attitude.

- Le Messor
      "I derived my education from the uneducated."
      ~ George Bernard Shaw
      Chris -
      Walter usually shows up at major events in Sasquatch form. Only exceptions I can think of at the moment is the AF 13 v1 funeral nightmare sequence and in X-Men Forever 10 v1 for Wolverine's funeral. If, say, Mister Sinister attacked the wedding and Walter had to transform, he'd ruin his suit or tuxedo or whatever he was wearing.
      DIGGER -
      Besides, by having them show up in costume makes them more recognizable for new readers. If Walt wasn't Sassed out readers would be going...Hey, who is the blond guy with the glasses? I think it is great that they showed up in costume. What they should have done was wait until Halloween for the wedding and have everyone come in somebodyelses costume (Puck as Sasquatch and so forth). BTW, that last sentence was meant in fun and not to be taken too seriously.
      Chris -
      After last week's publicity blitz, hopefully that will be 10 million new readers!
      swh_comicguy -
      Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
      Besides, by having them show up in costume makes them more recognizable for new readers. If Walt wasn't Sassed out readers would be going...Hey, who is the blond guy with the glasses? I think it is great that they showed up in costume. What they should have done was wait until Halloween for the wedding and have everyone come in somebodyelses costume (Puck as Sasquatch and so forth). BTW, that last sentence was meant in fun and not to be taken too seriously.
      Wouldn't the unnecessary conflict that will surely happen during the ceremony allow everyone to change into costumes?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by swh_comicguy View Post
      Wouldn't the unnecessary conflict that will surely happen during the ceremony allow everyone to change into costumes?
      Showing up in costume will save time when that happens.

- Le Messor
      "If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean."