• August 2012 Alpha Related Solicitations

Marvel have released their solicitations for the month of August including the following titles featuring Alpha Flight characters:-

HULK #56
    JEFF PARKER (W)
    DALE EAGLESHAM (a/C)
    • THE PENULTIMATE CHAPTER OF MAYAN RULE!!!
    • Guest starring ALPHA FLIGHT and MACHINE MAN
    • The MAYAN GODS continue to remake Earth in their own image!
    • Will RED HULK’S power be used to end the world?
    • Guest starring ALPHA FLIGHT, MACHINE MAN and the SHE-HULKS!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

HULK #57
    JEFF PARKER (W)
    DALE EAGLESHAM (a/C)
    • The stunning conclusion to MAYAN RULE!!!
    • What horrible fate awaits the human race?
    • IS THIS THE END OF RED HULK???
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

ASTONISHING X-MEN #53
    Written by Marjorie Liu
    Penciled by Mike Perkins
    Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
    • After the explosive ending of the last issue, the team is on the run!
    • Northstar accepts a deadly assignment…what is life like for the one who gets left behind?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

ASTONISHING X-MEN: NORTHSTAR HC WEAVER COVER
    Written by MARJORIE LIU & TIM FISH
    Covers by DUSTIN WEAVER & MARKO DJURDJEVIC
    Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
    The X-Men return to New York City, but it’s not a social call — the Marauders are back! Something from Northstar’s past has resurfaced and is looking for revenge — and when his boyfriend Kyle goes missing, will Northstar choose him or the team? Plus: Karma is losing control of her mind and taking control of the other X-Men — but all that pales in comparison to how this story ends! Collecting ASTONISHING X-MEN (2004) #48-51 and material from NATION X #2.
    112 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-6179-0
    Trim size: oversized
    ASTONISHING X-MEN: NORTHSTAR HC DJURDJEVIC COVER (DM ONLY)
    112 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-6642-9
    Trim size: oversized
    Comments 11 Comments
      rplass -
      Based on the solicit text, it's not clear if Alpha Flight will be in Hulk #57. I bet they will though.

Oh and I'd love to see an image of the Djurdjevic cover for the Northstar HC!!
      Flightpath07 -
      Is it just me, or does the text say that Kyle is Northstar's "boyfriend"? Shouldn't that, at the very least, say "partner" or something?
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I'm happy Alpha is getting exposure in Hulk. Perhaps they need more guest appearances (in X-Men, Wolverine and Avengers) to get them into the public's view? Maybe more exposure could to lead to building a bigger fan base and to more minis/maxis (or even an ongoing) for our favorite Canadians?

Dana
      DIGGER -
      Maybe they need to put Alpha as a guest star in (dare I say it) the Avengers or perhaps the Fantastic Four (since there is a good history with them already---Namor, Headlock, GALACTUS.) Alpha needs to be put into a more main stream title that isn't X-men related. Lets face it, Hercules was a great read but he just doesn't carry the same panache as Cap or the FF. Is Northstar getting so much face time because of Northstar or is it because of the fact that he is gay and Marvel is just using it to their advantage to sell comics. (I know it is the latter and that is unfortunate because IT SHOULD NOT MATTER IN THIS DAY AND AGE WHAT SOMEONES GENDER PREFERENCE IS!) Alpha has so much as yet underdeveloped character potential that they should be able to stand on their own merits and yet they seem to be stuck in this secondary world. I know, any exposure is good exposure but in the case of that second cover to X-men 51 they should have been more prominant (if not then it should have just been a cover closeup of Jean-Paul and Kyle alone). There, my rant for the day is done....for now.

DIGGER
      Chris -
      Putting Alpha Flight in Hulk which was nearing the 20,000 cancellation sales mark as of March is not the best book for getting exposure. I see April's Hulk 50 had a sales boost but how long will that hold? Was that because of sudden interest in 50th issue or all the variant covers for it? I'm guessing the latter. And the fact that AF is not on any of the covers of 53 - 57 is crazy. They should at least be on the cover of #53 to let everyone know they're in the book. I'm sure Jeff Parker and Dale Eaglesham's arc will be a fun read but not sure how many new AF fans it will generate. I will have my LCS add Hulk 53-57 to my pull list in the hopes they will order more copies.
      Phil -
      Yeah, but it's not designed as a boost.

They're in the story because Jeff wanted to use them, which is pretty much how most guest appearances work unless specifically Editorial ordered.

At the end of the day it's a Hulk story so technically AF don't have to be on the cover at all. The fact that they're mentioned in the solicitation is a bonus.
      Le Messor -
      They aren't pictured on the covers, but I've lost track - do those covers say 'Guest-starring Alpha Flight!' or something?

I haven't seen an issue of Hulk later than #50 in my LCS.

- Le Messor
      "If you knew what Mona Lisa knew, you'd smile too."
      Phil -
      The issues in question aren't out yet, but I doubt they will.
      Phil -
      Anyone else pick up the Astonishing X-Men HC?

Turns out it also includes AF #106!
      rplass -
      Wow! Nice surprise! That's really cool. Which cover did you get?
      Phil -
      I got the DM Variant.
      I'll probably get the Weaver version from Amazon one day, maybe in TPB rather than HC. We'll see.

The oversized trim is nice too, like the Asgardian Wars HC.