• Alpha Flight Classic Volume 3 Details

Bleeding Cool have gotten a look at Marvel's Hachette Book Distribution catalogue for the last third of 2012 and it features a listing for Alpha Flight Classic Vol.3 TPB which begins the Mantlo era of AF.

Listed for November, this is the catalogue for direct book store sales such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders etc. so Direct Market Comic stores usually have the books several months earlier though Diamond, so possibly an August or September release for this.

Also listed are the previously mentioned Astonishing X-Men: Northstar HC and the Red Hulk:Mayan Ruin (probable typo there) TPB
    Comments 31 Comments
      Le Messor -
      Good news everybody!

Wait... I don't have #2 yet. Does it go all the way up to #19? When #1 was only, like, 1-7?

- Le Messor
      "Ghouls gone wild, screaming in the night, we're feeling kind of hungry and we're killing for a bite!"
      ~ Alice Cooper
      Chris -
      Yes, Vol 2 reprints issues 9 - 19 and Uncanny X-Men 109 is also included after AF 19. Vol 1 had issues 1 - 8, the Marvel Age 2 article, and their original OHOTMU entries from 1983. I was lucky to still find Vol 1 in mint condition at its original price at a local comic shop a year ago.
      Alphan East -
      I've been hoping they were going to put out a Volume 3... I already have the first two.
      I wonder how deep into the original series they'll continue with these ?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
      Yes, Vol 2 reprints issues 9 - 19 and Uncanny X-Men 109 is also included after AF 19. Vol 1 had issues 1 - 8, the Marvel Age 2 article, and their original OHOTMU entries from 1983. I was lucky to still find Vol 1 in mint condition at its original price at a local comic shop a year ago.
      Wow, that's a big book! I know where I can get it, but I just don't know where I'll get the money.
      Bank robbing is still generally frowned-upon by the law, right? I mean, they rob you right and left everybody every day, but you rob a single one of them and you get a wrist slap.
      Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphan East View Post
      I wonder how deep into the original series they'll continue with these ?
      I've always imagined they'd just do the Byrne run and then stop. But I don't know.
      (It still makes sense to go all the way to 28.)

Also, I should look up that Power Pack Classics and see if the next one is out yet.

- Le Messor
      "If you get angry at a newspaper columnist, he'll get rich or famous or both."
      Phil -
      This is due in stores next week!
      Le Messor -
      Yay!

... but due to financing, I don't even have the second one yet. :/
      Soon... soon.

~ Le Messor
      "It is better to have loved and lost than just to have lost."
      Alphan East -
      Here's the covers of all 3 Alpha Flight Classic TPBs so far. Thought someone may want to put them into the Gallery and maybe start a TPB Cover Section.

rplass -
      Done. That v3 image is small though. If you can find a bigger one I'll replace it.
      Love,
      rplass
      Alphan East -
      Thanks. Found a larger one of Volume 3.

Phil -
      It might be worth starting a new Category just for TPB's.
      And also waiting till Vol.3 is actually out to get a final image without borders.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      It might be worth starting a new Category just for TPB's.
      And also waiting till Vol.3 is actually out to get a final image without borders.
      How about for collected editions? Because the Asgardian Wars and Marvel Premiere Classics: X-Men: Alpha Flight aren't TPBs.

And also, I thought it was doctors who were without borders?

~ Le Messor
      "It is better to be defeated on principle than to win on lies."
      ~ Arthur Calwell
      Alphan East -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      How about for collected editions? Because the Asgardian Wars and Marvel Premiere Classics: X-Men: Alpha Flight aren't TPBs.
      I think it should be a category of covers for all collected editions.

Attachment 2729 Attachment 2730
      Le Messor -
      ... and then (AE), your image reminded me that I do have a TPB copy of Asgardian Wars (Not Wars).
      So that one can be both.

~ Le Messor
      "Elvis landed in a rocket ship, healed a couple of lepers..."
      ~ Walk the Dinosaur
      Phil -
      That's what I meant. S'all semantics.
      Le Messor -
      Semantism.
      Flightpath07 -
      Semantimistic? Or Semanti-mystic?
      Alphan East -
      Just picked up a copy of Alpha Flight Classic Vol. 3 to add to the collection. This one finished the John Byrne era and goes into the Mantlo / Mignola run, so I'm not sure if they'll continue it now that the Byrne issues are done with.
      Le Messor -
      I don't see much point myself. Given how long it's taken me to pick up #2 (I still haven't! Stupid money. Be more!) I probably wouldn't buy a Mantlo-era Alpha Flight 'Classic' at all...
      But I wouldn't disparage those of you who do.

~ Le Messor
      "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
      ~ Upton Sinclair
      Phil -
      Are there any extras in Vol.3?
      rplass -
      Yes. To correct facing pages there are some nice pieces.

Between issues 21 and 22 there is a one page text summary of the X-Men:AF miniseries (the gift) with thumbnailed insert of the artwork from the standard dustcover of the recent MPC. We can now argue if that's the correct place to put it chronologically....

Also, between issues #22 and #23 there is a full page pin up, very nicely done, of the cover of #23 with modern coloring methods and a nice snowy background. I like it a lot.

Between issues #24 and #25 is the Shaman pin-up "Doctor... Sorcerer... Hero" nothing new there.

Between issues #26 and #27 is a full page pinup of the book's cover art, which is the cover art from issue #27

The Alpha Waves goodbye page from Byrne and Denny O'neal is preserved from issue #28

Between issues #28 and Hulk #313, the full page pin-up by Canadian artist Ken Steacy from Marvel Fanfare #23 is reprinted

(Hulk #313 is printed in entirety between AF #28 and #29)

The back cover has the modern version of the cover of #23 as mentioned above.