• Hulk & Alpha Flight to take on Mayan Gods

At today's Next Big Thing panel at Wondercon 2012 Marvel announced that Alpha Flight's next appearance will be in the pages of Hulk, drawn by none other than Dale Eaglesham!

Beginning with HULK #53 this June, writer Jeff Parker and artist Dale Eaglesham pit Red Hulk, Alpha Flight, She-Hulk and more against Mayan gods intent on causing the end of the world.

http://marvel.com/news/story/18294/wondercon_2012_hulk

Hulk, A-Bomb and Machine Man will also team up with members of Alpha Flight and the She-Hulks, who Parker says all join the ruckus organically, but notes that Eaglesham's run on ALPHA FLIGHT definitely influenced their appearance in this book.

“Once I found out [Dale] could do it, I didn't want to miss the chance to connect to the ALPHA FLIGHT stories he just did,” Parker says. “So we pick up right from that series with him, [Greg] Pak and [Fred] Van Lente with the Canuck Brigade!”

“I really hated to see ALPHA FLIGHT end, I could have kept drawing that book for years,” Eaglesham says. “So it was a huge and very pleasant surprise to find out they would be in this arc. I didn’t even know that when I accepted the gig! I thought it was all over, but I got to draw them again. Bonus!”

UPDATE: Brief interview with Parker & Eaglesham at Newsarama:
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/wond...eaglesham.html

Nrama: The story incorporates a lot of interesting characters, mainly ones that are a little lower on the radar, like Machine Man and Alpha Flight. How did you go about picking the characters for this story? And between this and the many characters you've worked on in Thunderbolts, do you find that you have a natural fondness towards the less-featured Marvel characters? Parker: I thought it would be cool to have Dale transition over with the characters he was just drawing, and that readers might appreciate it too. We also want to show you can have a big blow-up event without the usual cast.

Nrama: Dale, do you enjoy that challenge of handling multiple characters at once and having it all "make sense" on the page?

Eaglesham: I do, actually. I love team books. Large casts can get exhausting but a large palette of characters to choose from is the penciler’s delight. I especially like it when I get to work with a team book for a while, on a monthly rather than just an arc. I like to have the time to develop each character to their fullest potential, and I mean to a point where you begin to discover all their little quirks that make them unique. Alpha Flight was such a joy to work on — fun, varied characters. I really wish it had become a monthly and that I could have stayed on it!
    And another at Comic Book Resources:
    General Ross might not be aided by the Avengers, but he will have allies. Helping him fight the Mayan God invasion are A-Bomb, Alpha Flight, Machine Man and the She-Hulks. How did you go about putting this team together? Are these all characters Ross has a past connection with?

Parker: Once [editor] Mark Paniccia said I might be able to work with Dale Eaglesham and that "Alpha Flight" was wrapping up, it seemed a perfect place to connect. We pick right up with what he and [writers] Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente were doing in their series. AF are right out of that story at the beginning of this one.
    As for A-Bomb, he's the catalyst for this whole story, if you were reading the backups in Hulk last year. The Mayans were trapped physically, but able to project their minds out until they found a willing hero to trick in Rick Jones. She-Hulk and Lyra tried to stop him from freeing them, but just aided in breaking the Mayans out. At the start of this arc, the three have been on the trail of the escaped gods for a while.

Dale, how does it feel to return to Alpha Flight?

Eaglesham: I love it. I was really disappointed to see the book end after its 8-issue series. I thought I wouldn't get to draw them again, so this was a very pleasant surprise. I didn't even know they would be in this arc; Jeff and Mark Paniccia surprised me with it.
    A few more plot details over at MTV Geek:
    Geek: Someone like the Red Hulk has to be pretty desperate to ask other people to help him out… What drives Rulk to assemble his team?

JP: It actually goes the other way, A-Bomb (Rick Jones with muscles and body plates) comes to Red Hulk. And from there Alpha Flight are brought in because Ross follows international protocol and alerts his counterparts in another involved nation, Canada of course. More heroes you haven't seen in quite a while get pulled into all this before it's over.
    Comments 38 Comments
      Flightpath07 -
      Whoa. Did Phil and Mik just agree on a comic-related subject? lol.

No, seriously, good rant-and-response going there. Have to give you both props for being well-articulated, and also have to agree with you both. [oh man oh man oh man, i hope that the word 'props' hyper-links to a site on airplanes!]
      Le Messor -
      Then we are in agreement.

Step 2: 500 marmots and a wet pineapple.
      Phil -
      Sorry, but I totally disagree, you're obviously barking mad.

Step 2 is quite clearly 500 pineapples and a wet marmot.
      Flightpath07 -
      I thought step two involved dunking Justin Bieber in a giant vat of raw hamburger and then turning him loose in the tiger cage? [ man, I have GOT to get a new manual, mine is obviously different than the one you two have! ]
      Le Messor -
      Phil, I always get those two backwards. Sorry.
      FP, that's step 3.

- Le Messor
      "If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?"
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      Phil, I always get those two backwards. Sorry.
      FP, that's step 3.

- Le Messor
      "If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?"
      I always believed that lingerie was meant to be like braille...
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      I always believed that lingerie was meant to be like braille...
      Massive LOL!

Phil, I was glib before because I was in a rush... no, not in Rush. If I was going to joing a Canadian band, it'd be Alpha Flight... anyway, I think your well thought-out post deserves a better response.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      I didn't mean it in a defeatist way, or that comics aren't as good as they used to be.
      Apologies. I have seen that defeatism a lot before, including right here on Alpha Waves, so I jumped the gun. Or the shark. Take your pick.

More that if you gave an average 10 year old the choice between an X-Box with Call of Duty or a 20-22 page comic book split into two stories that they'll consume within 2 minutes, chances are they'll pick the former. It's an attention span and value for money thing.
      That makes sense, and I see where you're coming from now.

And I think that's because of the grim and gritty realism the superhero genre went down in the 80's. WE now have a generation of comic writers writing comics just like that for themselves. They read grim and gritty and want grim and gritty and write grim and gritty so they can read it.
      I like the circular logic there.
      I'd say that the sting happened in the 80's, but the infection didn't set in - didn't become a cancer - 'til the 90's.
      But that's just my opinion.

the next generation, who should be spending all their pocket money on comics
      They so should be!

Okay, that wasn't so much a well thought-out response I wrote just now as mindless agreement. But, that's what happens when people agree!

Now, where did I leave that marmot?

- Le Messor
      "If little else, the brain is an educational toy."
      ~ Tom Robbins
      Flightpath07 -
      "If I was going to joing a Canadian band, it'd be Alpha Flight"

You should 'Follow Your Heart' and join Triumph instead.
      Le Messor -
      I was thinking about having a Tea Party, but then I'd have to wait for the edge of twilight.
      Sasquatch17 -
      Guess I'll be picking up this issue.
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Although I commend MARVEL for the 8-issue run, I'm rather glad that "Heather" referenced "killing" Snowbird (which, ironically obviously didn't stick) and places it even more firmly on the MANTLO-timeline...even more than the inclusion of Purple Woman.

I'm not a big fan of the Mantlo timeline, but what's done is done. Those comics exist...whether they are plausible and consistent or not.

I agree that James (I prefer to call him that instead of 'Mac') is more interesting, focused, and determined this time. While I think the twins got more attention to the detriment of Walter, Shaman, and Snowbird, all-in-all everybody had a moment to do their thing.

What I really would like to know is why The Master thinks a cannibal (Wendigo), a thrall to the GREAT BEASTS (Ranark), the Purple Woman, and a man in an adamantium exo-skeleton are the best-of-the-best to populate/subjugate the stars. I wish the creative team had time to explain that.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
      What I really would like to know is why The Master thinks a cannibal (Wendigo), a thrall to the GREAT BEASTS (Ranark), the Purple Woman, and a man in an adamantium exo-skeleton are the best-of-the-best to populate/subjugate the stars. I wish the creative team had time to explain that.
      My only thought on that is, maybe he just used what power was available/who he had access to (including Heather and Aurora), but of course, it's really who the writers wanted to bring back into the world of Alpha Flight. He probably also saw all of Alpha Strike as dispensible anyway. I'm rather glad we didn't see the Master's version of Omega Flight return, though...I was not a fan of those characters.

Dana
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      I'm rather glad we didn't see the Master's version of Omega Flight return, though...I was not a fan of those characters.

Dana
      The trick to writing good villains is to make the reader fear and like them at the same time. The characters you reference 'could' have been good...they just weren't written to be fear-y or like-able. In that sense, they were throw-away characters. Unfortunately, AF has been littered with bit characters like that.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      The trick to writing good villains is to make the reader fear and like them at the same time. The characters you reference 'could' have been good...they just weren't written to be fear-y or like-able. In that sense, they were throw-away characters. Unfortunately, AF has been littered with bit characters like that.
      In other words:
      "We're not really bad... we're just written that way."
      Attachment 1732
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      In other words:
      "We're not really bad... we're just written that way."
      Attachment 1732
      Exactamundo!
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      I shoulda posted my comments on volume 4 in a volume 4 thread. D'oh! Anyhow, I agree with Dana that the vol. 4 group is more formidable than the Master's "Omega Flight", but I'd still think most of the rest would be kind of leery of WENDIGO. How they kept him "under control" is just one of those things I wish could've made it into the series.

Moderator(s), move this if off-subject.
      maniac mike -
      Newsarama has a 4 page preview out today...

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime....php?aid=46350
      -K-M- -
      Picked it up and ok issue, mostly just a set-up and once again Dale does a great job.