• Save The Date for... The Wedding of Jean-Paul & Kyle?

Today Marvel issued the following teaser image:

Now... Given that Liu recently mentioned that big things were afoot for Northstar in Astonishing X-Men, and that relationships were a big part of her run could these well be the wedding bells for our heroes?
    I can't see anyone else in the line-up marrying...

Adding to that, if you take Dustin Weaver's words from the comment section of his recent #50 blog entry:

In the case of this cover, yes. They wanted Northstar to be the focus. He was also the main hero on the last cover as well. And wait till you see the next cover... I hope you're a Northstar fan. Actually, I'm super excited about the next cover.
    It looks like it may well happen!
    Of course, that could be what Marvel want us to think...

Solicits are due out in a week or so...
    Comments 49 Comments
      Sypes -
      Can someone explain to me what the difference between Astonishing X-men and regular X-men is? Is it an alternative universe , sort of like Ultimate X-men or Marvel Noir kind of thing...? I'm thinking of buying Astonishing X-men now that Northstar will be in it, but if it's not the "real world", I sort of feel cheated by it all or anything that happens in it.
      Phil -
      It's regular 616 universe.
      It's just another title.
      It's the one that started off with Joss Whedon writing, and has continued since he left it.
      Le Messor -
      Definitely 616 continuity... but it was much better when Joss Whedon wrote it. At least, I dropped it during the next run (Warren Ellis?).

- Le Messor
      "By learning you will teach, by teaching you will learn."
      ~ Latin proverb
      Phil -
      Yeah, the Whedon run was near-perfect; especially in one big sitting.
      As much of an Ellis fan as I am, his run left a lot to be desired. The Ghost Box concept had promise but lacked execution, and the Brood arc was pointless. Daniel Way's arc after was even worse. Christos Gage and Greg Pak's runs were fun, but nothing meaty.
      All IMO of course.

I'm looking forward to Liu's run though, her Daken and X-23 surprised me and I really enjoyed both.
      Banshee -
      Whedon was a tough act to follow. I dropped it but will be adding to my digital comic pick list
      Sypes -
      Thanks guys. I'm pretty much sold. I'll start getting them in March
      Legerd -
      I'm disappointed this couldn't happen in an AF book, but... oh well. Do you think AF will at least be invited to the wedding?
      DIGGER -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      I'm disappointed this couldn't happen in an AF book, but... oh well. Do you think AF will at least be invited to the wedding?
      Maybe they will all be there... just off panel of course!

DIGGER
      p.s. man am I glad this site is back... missed all of you
      Flightpath07 -
      [QUOTE=DIGGER;83956]Maybe they will all be there... just off panel of course!

Ha! Another dig by Digger!
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I hope that Alpha is there for the wedding, it would be stupidity for the writer to exclude them. BTW: It sounds like Ms Liu may be using Northstar more often, that's a good thing...If hes going to be in an X-Book, I'd like to see him actually be used rather than how most writers have been using him (filler in crowd scenes).

Dana
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Wouldn't they be getting married in Canada, anyway? I don't get the point of marrying in the U.S. if they're not U.S. citizens (is Kyle a U.S. citizen?)?

Dana
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      I don't get the point of marrying in the U.S.
      Um...that would be because most comic book writers prefer the version of the world where there is absolutely nothing worth seeing or mentioning beyond the borders of America itself.
      Phil -
      From CBR: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=37794
      Game changers for 2012: A Wedding, A First Meeting and Rebirth. It's time for a ReEvolution of comics as we know it, and we're hoping every fan reading this joins us for the biggest year in our history.
      Flightpath07 -
      "It's pretty simple: We want to give customers the books they want. We've heard from customers loud and clear that they want more of the core books and less limited series."

So...according to David Gabriel, our hope to see Alpha Flight appear in more mini or maxi series seems to be fizzling out and dying an unnatural and early death. That puts another nail in the AF coffin. Not good enough (sales) to be in a regular series, and Marvel says people don't want to see so many limited series so they won't put out nearly as many - doesn't sound good.
      Le Messor -
      I wonder what they mean by 'biggest year in our history'?
      I have my doubts about that, especially with the below:

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      "It's pretty simple: We want to give customers the books they want. We've heard from customers loud and clear that they want more of the core books and less limited series."
      Um... what customers have been saying that, exactly?
      Those titles sell more, I'm sure that's true (without knowing figures).
      If everyone who wants to read a B-list title has to read the Avengers and X-Men just to keep up with their own little corner of the MU, but not the other way around, it has to be true - but if you glut the market with nothing but, it drives away a lot of fans. What have customers been saying, which is not necessarily the same as buying?
      It's felt to me for a long time like they want to give customers what they want us to want. Like they're more interested in telling us what we want than listening.

- Le Messor
      "If one is forever cautious, can one remain a human being?"
      Chris -
      Mini series don't sell? Yes, it's true some of these minis like the Crossgen books sold horribly. Even stand alone Avengers and X-Men minis do not sell well unless they're an event changing mini like X-Men: Schism or Avengers: X-Sanctioned, or a mini series tied into an event like say... Chaos War: Alpha Flight.

I'm looking at Comichron's estimated Feb numbers and stand alone X-Men minis like X-Club #3 sold 12,911 and Magneto Not a Hero #4 sold 17,852. Yikes. Where are all you X-Club and Mister Jeffries fans at?

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...2/2012-02.html

Unfortunately, Marvel's strategy is to now double ship most of their ongoing books so they can keep selling eighty comics a month and beat DC in the number of units and dollars sold. Diversity keeps getting smaller at Marvel. I guess I shouldn't keep looking forward to another Winter Guard mini series soon. Sigh...
      Flightpath07 -
      "It's felt to me for a long time like they want to give customers what they want us to want. Like they're more interested in telling us what we want than listening."

"Unfortunately, Marvel's strategy is to now double ship most of their ongoing books so they can keep selling eighty comics a month and beat DC in the number of units and dollars sold. Diversity keeps getting smaller at Marvel."

Marvel begins to sound more and more like politicians. You cannot believe what they tell you, they pepper everything with double-speak and twist all the words and figures to meet their message. I just don't feel like they have my trust anymore, and don't know what it would take for them to get it back.

DC's 'change' impressed me, and has me picking up 5 series from zero before the change. Marvel's 'change' has left me frustrated, disgruntled, and shaking my head, not liking the product or those who put it out anymore; I've lost faith in their company completely. I used to collect up to 8 Marvel titles a month, and am now down to 3 (soon to be 2, and maybe soon to be 1). I'd rather pick up used back-issues of Marvel comics that make sense to me and capture my heart, from the 70's and 80's. That, and independant comics from the 80's and 90's.
      Chris -
      I'm liking some of DC's New 52. I went from buying zero DC books for the past 30 years, to regularly collecting 8 DC titles now.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I went from buying one DC book (that was canceled before the "reboot") to none..LOL!

Dana
      Le Messor -
      Which one?

I was nearly in the same position, but two ended up convincing me... though oddly enough not the two I'd been reading (Superboy and Batgirl).

- Le Messor
      "If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?"