• More from Axel Alonso on Alpha Flight's future

Another week, another CBR column, with more questions on the team's status:

On to fan questions for the week, I've got to admit that even with the high levels of "Alpha Flight" supporters on the boards, I was surprised at how many folks asked after the series cancellation. Predabot had probably summed up folks the best when he asked, "Alpha Flight recently got down-graded from an ongoing back to a limited series again. Was there a significant drop-off in orders and sales that took you unawares, inbetween issues, there? Also, can we hope to see some more Alpha Flight appearances after the series ends? It might certainly help to build their appeal and help get fans interested in them, much like it helped Agents of Atlas."

Alonso: It's no secret "Alpha Flight" has a strong and vocal following, and is a favorite of many here in the Marvel offices. [Writers] Fred [Van Lente] and Greg [Pak] had a really interesting approach for a maxi-series. And the fan response to the "point one" and debut issues was encouraging enough for us to take a chance with making it monthly…until new budgetary mandates forced us to rethink the strategy. As for seeing those characters in other places, absolutely. Look for one of cast to get closer to the X-Men and undergo a life-changing moment in 2012 that's sure to get fans talking.
    Which is certainly a bit more telling than last week's non-answer, and definitely ties in with the current X-writer's non-commital answer as to Northstar's future side with the X-Men.
    Although it could be someone else completely...
    Comments 4 Comments
      rplass -
      Closer to the X-Men? Life changing moment? Could be Marrina getting back together with Namor.... that would be getting closer to the X-Men and a life changing moment. Just a guess....

Note how it doesn't say, "joining the X-Men", it says "get closer". So I'm not sure it's Northstar since he already is a member. Can't get closer to the X-Men than being a member already. So my official guess is Kyle will marry Northstar.

Love,
      rplass
      Flightpath07 -
      I'm thinking Aurora will join, but be on the opposite side of Schism as Northstar is?
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
      Note how it doesn't say, "joining the X-Men", it says "get closer". So I'm not sure it's Northstar since he already is a member. Can't get closer to the X-Men than being a member already. So my official guess is Kyle will marry Northstar.
      That's the thing; it doesn't say 'joining the X-Men', so it's indicating someone that already is a member of the X-Men.

And I think it means closer as in spiritually or in happiness terms.
      I think that Northstar will stop being the loner on the edge and finally choose the X-Men over Alpha Flight.
      I reckon that after this volume of AF finishes that JP will become fulltime X-canon like Jeffries.

As to the life-changing event that makes him do this; possibly a marriage to Kyle, or possibly the death of his sister. That'd be something to make im completely cut ties with AF.

The question would then be would he choose Team Cyclops and be on Dazzler's street team over in Uncanny, or Team Wolverine and go back to teaching Alpha Squadron?
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Ugh....The only problem with that, is the X-Writers barely write anything for our Canadian mutants (and when something is written for them, it's usually bad). Perhaps even if Alpha Flight stayed an ongoing, the X-offices probably now want to claim both Northstar and Aurora exclusively (Greedy, much?).

In the end it doesn't matter...I want Alpha Flight, not sparse, badly-written appearances of mutant members in the X-books.

Dana