• Alpha Flight To End With #8 *SPOILERS FOR #4* *UPDATED*

ALPHA FLIGHT #8
    GREG PAK & FRED VAN LENTE (W)
    DALE EAGLESHAM (C)
    COVER BY CARLO PAGULAYAN
    VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    • THE FINAL ISSUE!
    The big showdown between Alpha Flight and the Master of the World!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Just released from Marvel, their solicitations for January 2012.
    Which would seem to confirm the other news on the net tonight, that Alpha Flight is to be cancelled as of Issue 8.
    Ifanboy have also reported on the cancellation.

The issue is solicited with the previously thought to be #9 cover as main cover and the previously thought to be #8 cover as a variant, and listed as 32 pages, giving 10 more than standard.

UPDATE:

Greg Pak has posted the following tweets on his twitter account:

(For more on the above sequences check out http://www.alphaflight.net/content.p...-Art-from-AF-6)
    Comments 58 Comments
      rplass -
      I don't know what's worse.... Northstar's rounded ear on that cover or the reversal of the ongoing series. Probably the rounded ear, because it's not an impersonal business decision.

Oh well, that sucks that we are back to an 8-issue maxi seriries again, but we all know Fred, Greg and Dale gave us 100pct.

Alpha Flight is the greatest super-hero team the world has ever known. This series has only made them better, so let's hope volume 5 is not far off!
      DelBubs -
      I doubt/hope it's not the last we've seen of them. The news out of Marvel has been pretty down for the last couple of days. 15 staff laid off and whispers of other austerity cuts in the pipeline.
      Phil -
      I'm pretty much close to just forgetting all about comics now.
      DelBubs -
      Given that Alpha Flight was the only reason I took that long trip to Romford. I really cannot see any other reason to put myself out. I'll probably pick up X-Club in TPB, but Marvel isn't offering anything else to keep me interested.
      sengsterooney -
      Sucks balls! (pardon my French). I only found this on the Newsarama January previews and thought "What the F" - have they made a mistake, then came here and it's confirmed my fears.
      Canucklehead -
      This was the only book Marvel hadn't alienated me from. Why would they surprisingly announce an ongoing only to cancel it at that very issue? Seriously. Are they TRYING to piss people off?
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Are you freaking kidding me? Why the heck is Marvel doing this, when they said already its an ongoing?...Give the book a chance! I feel like swearing a blue streak, but I'll behave.

Dana
      kingdomofevan -
      Only two months ago, they were at Fan Expo telling us how proud they were about the ongoing. Now this? What is Marvel's deal?
      Mokole -
      Marvel must have a lot of infighting going on. Or simply no idea what they are doing.
      Legerd -
      Well, that's it for me and Marvel. I can't see another AF series happening any time soon, nor with as talented a team as we have now. Thank you... good night.
      Wildcard -
      Once this series finishes, that will be the last comic I purchase from Marvel. They did the same thing to us with Omega Flight. When the higher ups at Marvel ask each other why the comic industry is in the shape its in, I hope someone points out thats its partly due to behaviour like this.

Im not even truly upset that the title is back to an 8 issue mini. What I am most upset about, is them telling us the title is on-going then changing their minds 2 issues later. Thats ridiculous! They shouldnt have said anything at all and waited for the 8 issues before making that decision and announcement.

Thank you Marvel for pulling the rug out from under me today.
      swh_comicguy -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingdomofevan View Post
      Only two months ago, they were at Fan Expo telling us how proud they were about the ongoing. Now this? What is Marvel's deal?
      Isn't that the only real news that Marvel had at Fan Expo?

They've diluted their market with so many similar titles that it's too hard for other books that don't immediately tie-in to gain and maintain a solid audience. How many Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk titles can a market actually support? Alpha Flight really wasn't truly tied to Fear Itself was it?

Cancelling Alpha Flight before the Wolverine appearance sees print and possibly brings in new readers really shows that support for the title really wasn't what we were lead to believe.

It's very disappointing that such a good book with such a great team behind it is being cancelled.

Yet another reason to adjust my monthly support of Marvel and consider continuing some of the new DC titles I was planning on dropping.

DaVeO -
      BALLS!

Every time I start to get back into Marvel, every time I think they start to get a little better in my eyes they pull crap like this. Last time it was Atlas, before that Captain Britain, before that Omega Flight. This is why I've always been DC in my heart. I collected things like Manhunter and Jonah Hex. Neither of them pulling in big numbers but DC recognizes that not all books get 50k a month. Heck, Manhunter was cancelled twice but came back due to fan support. I know they are a business and blah, blah, blah. But fan loyalty should count for something too. And Marvel likes to continue to kick Alpha fans in our Canucklehead.

All those exciting plans that FVL and Gerg and Dale had for us, gone. I just started getting more Marvels now but my stomach has been soured. Hulk, New Mutants, Villains for Hire, Defenders, The Fearless I was planning to get are now dropped, I have to vote with my $ and it's going all out to DC and indies. X-Factor being the lone exception and of course, the rest of AF.

I collect 13 New DC titles right now if people are looking for recommendations, be warned that my tastes, as with Marvel, side on the more obscure and B-List.

BALLS!

Edit:
      P.S. I guess I better stop hoping Cloak and Dagger get an ongoing. As if THAT would survive in today's Marvel.

P.P.S. This outraged post has been brought to you by the makers of #$%$#@^ cola. Drink #$%$#@^ cola, for all your fan rage needs.
      Sasquatch17 -
      The cancellation of Alpha Flight really sucks as I felt this was the best version of Alpha Flight since the mid 1980's.

But, the reality is we are in a recession and there is not enough people purchasing Alpha Flight.

I'll wait for Volume 5...
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Quote Originally Posted by swh_comicguy View Post
      Isn't that the only real news that Marvel had at Fan Expo?

They've diluted their market with so many similar titles that it's too hard for other books that don't immediately tie-in to gain and maintain a solid audience. How many Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk titles can a market actually support? Alpha Flight really wasn't truly tied to Fear Itself was it?

Cancelling Alpha Flight before the Wolverine appearance sees print and possibly brings in new readers really shows that support for the title really wasn't what we were lead to believe.

It's very disappointing that such a good book with such a great team behind it is being cancelled.

Yet another reason to adjust my monthly support of Marvel and consider continuing some of the new DC titles I was planning on dropping.

I thought the Wolverine appearance is within the 8 issues (that and the Captain Britain/MI13/Heroes of the Commonwealth)?
      DelBubs -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      I thought the Wolverine appearance is within the 8 issues?
      I think swh meant the announcement. Wolvie is due to appear in #7
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I was only collecting Alpha Flight, but I recently picked up Legion of Monsters (still not sure about this series)...I don't give a spit about any other Marvel comics.

Dana
      Alphan East -
      So much potential wasted because Marvel can only see the dollar signs and not the fans.
      Ben -
      Man, I am feeling RAGE! Why on earth would they make thisbig announcement, put out all those promos right after, then just drop it...My local comic guy said that since the series was announced ongoing, Sales skyrocketed. For #5, he sold out really fast, and sold my copy (kowing I'd rather see it in someone elses hands) and re-orderd. They haven't even seen how sales will be effected by ongoing status before dropping the axe. So mad, so dissapointed, feeling kinda betrayed...(not by the AF creators/editors, but by the PTB) I was at the point where reading AF had me interested in picking up a few other monthly titles, no I'm not interested at all...This kind of rash decision has such broader impact than just the series in question. This is in my mind part of the reason why the industry has floundered so much in the past 20 years.

I think it's time someone with vision took the helm @ Marvel.
      Phil -
      The problem is that it is someone with vision now at the helm of Marvel.
      It's just cut-throat business Disney dollar vision and their job is profit first, creativity second.
      I'm not annoyed by the cancellation per se, I was expecting a maxi & I've got a great one I'm thankful.
      It's just the announcement of an upgrade & then going back on that, that's perplexed me. To me that's even worse than the Omega Flight scenario.
      If the announcement had never been made I'd be far less angry.

However, business is business.