• Alpha Flight #4 Sales Figures & Position

When Diamond Comics recently released the Top 100 Comics for the month of September 2011, many Alpha Flight fans were worried by #4's lack of placement in the Top 100, mostly due to the DCnu52 titles taking up half the spaces.
    Today ICv2 has released the Top 300 along with estimated sales figures:
    http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/21220.html

ALPHA FLIGHT #4
    $2.99
    MAR 23,242

So, 1 place outside the Top 100 which isn't too bad considering the amount of DC #1's and Marvel titles double shipped in September.

Sales figures came in at 23,242, a drop of 1,600 which is a slower decline than between #2 & #3

#.1 - 25,775
    #1 - 46,851
    #2 - 26,862
    #3 - 24,872
    #4 - 23,242

So the sales appear to be rounding out, just above the 20,000 mark which appears to be essential in keeping the series ongoing.

The next few months positions will probably be similar due to DC's relaunch, so won't matter too much, but getting back into the Top 100 would be nice.

#5 will be the first pre-orderable issue since the announcement of the maxi-series becoming ongoing, and the teaser trailers that followed, so hopefully this may make a difference.
    And then there's always #7 and it's Wolverine appearance.

On the flip-side, #4 was the last issue to be (loosely) tied-in to Fear Itself and loses that trade dress with #5 so it's be interesting to see if that makes any difference at all.
    Comments 15 Comments
      varo -
      that doesnt seem like a bad dropoff at all, with all things considered. also, it looks like it has found it's niche and should hold around that mark, just like thunderbolts, x-factor and others.

not as concerned as i was a few days ago.
      varo -
      also, i still can't seem to start a subscription to alpha flight on marvels sight.
      Flightpath07 -
      This is good news indeed. Uh, not about Varo's subscription problems...the other thing.
      Alice -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      This is good news indeed. Uh, not about Varo's subscription problems...the other thing.
      It must be doing well. I tried to get a copy of number three and my shop told me that the limited print run had sold out
      rplass -
      On the flip-side, #4 was the last issue to be (loosely) tied-in to Fear Itself and loses that trade dress with #5 so it's be interesting to see if that makes any difference at all.
      Are you saying it will be a boost or a decline? Some people might like the idea of an event-less issue!
      Phil -
      It's possible it'll be a boost, but very doubtful given the way events work and the people who follow them.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Maybe we'll get some Captain Britain fans to stick around who may pick up the issue he appears in? Who knows, maybe even some Wolverine or Avengers fans will stay after their guest appearances?

Dana
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      Maybe we'll get some Captain Britain fans to stick around who may pick up the issue he appears in? Who knows, maybe even some Wolverine or Avengers fans will stay after their guest appearances?
      That's worked on me in the past - even led to one of my favourite comics.
      So, it might work here.

- Le Messor
      "If he were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week."
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      That's worked on me in the past - even led to one of my favourite comics.
      So, it might work here.
      So, we should then hope for appearances by Archie and Jughead, Superman, Groo, and Asterix?

Hey, I'm not saying that people won't pick up issues because one of their faves is in it, then like it and stick around. What i am saying, is we'd be better off not even HAVING to hope for that.

We need faith, not hope.
      Le Messor -
      So, we should then hope for appearances by Archie and Jughead, Superman, Groo, and Asterix?
      Why not? The 'Alpha Flight' 'apperance' in Green Arrow got me to pick that one up, and I might stick around. I'll at least buy the next issue, if not more.

Hey, I'm not saying that people won't pick up issues because one of their faves is in it, then like it and stick around. What i am saying, is we'd be better off not even HAVING to hope for that.
      Well, that's cool - but it's a question of getting people to pick it up in the first place. I know that for me, all the positive reviews and events and whatevers in the world won't do as much good as one well-placed Alpha appearance. So, why not have the boutique appearances if they'll attract new readers?
      (Though, for the record, the comic I mentioned before was a Supergirl / Young Justice crossover that got me into Young Justice.)

We need faith, not hope.
      Attachment 1527?? not Attachment 1528??

- Le Messor
      "If every word were recorded, then every word would count and everyone would be accountable."
      ~ Mark T. Shirey
      batman_von_gein -
      i bought the green arrow issues. haven't read yet but if i like them i'll keep buying them. guest appearance can get annoying but if it fits story and is written well it works. i just hope alpha flight sticks around and can get more readers.
      CMatt78 -
      I hate to say it, but if you really want to boost sales for one issue, the perfect guest appearance would be...Deadpool.

Afterall, Sasquatch did show up in Deadpool's first issue. And if Taskmaster sticks around, he and Wade have history too.

Wow...I'm starting to have a hard time finding a reason Deadpool shouldn't guest star (well, other than the fact he's EVERYWHERE right now)
      Le Messor -
      Then Deadpool and Nemesis will get in a fight. Who will win? Who will slaughter the other?
      Will we even be able to tell them apart?

- Le Messor
      "Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly."
      DelBubs -
      Chuck in The Scarlet Spider and Wildheart (blechh!) and I win with four of a kind.
      Flightpath07 -
      See...? Deadpool it is! Deadpool for everyone! Deadpool for Prime Minister! Wait...maybe it IS Deadpool...