• X-Club #1 (of 5) Solicitation

After the recent X-Men Regenesis teasers giving the new teams for the X-books post Schism, Alpha Flight fans were left wondering as to the fate of Madison Jeffries given he wasn't available for use within Volume 4 (and to Northstar's two team status).

Today Marvel has released a first look at December's X-Men Solicitations which includes the following Solicit:

X-CLUB #1 (of 5)

Written by Simon Spurrier

Penciled by Paul Davidson
    Cover by Nick Bradshaw
    “WE DO SCIENCE!”
    In the wake of SCHISM, the X-Men’s Science Team takes it upon themselves to make a gesture of goodwill on behalf of mutantkind and better the world…using SCIENCE. But just as construction of the X-Club’s state of the art space elevator nears completion, chaos erupts! And it appears to the world that mutants are to blame. Can Dr. Nemesis, Madison Jeffries, Kavita Rao and Danger clear the X-Men’s name before their experiment backfires? Don’t miss this new limited series that will surely change how you look at the X-Men and the Periodic Table of Elements FOREVER!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
    Written by the capable hands of Si Spurrier who was responsible for the X-Club's outings in X-Men: Blind Science (with art by Paul Davidson too), X-Men: Smoke & Blood and the splash page bio in the Origins of Marvel: X-Men Oneshot, this limited series should please any Jeffries fans.

Keep your eyes on AlphaFlight.net in the forthcoming months for an interview with Si Spurrier, and to whet your appetite here's what he told us on twitter:

it is my great hope that you guys are going to be very pleased with some developments in this series...
    Let the speculation begin!
    Comments 26 Comments
      Phil -
      I'll upload a larger pic as soon as Marvel make one available.
      Flightpath07 -
      "some developments" - I hope this means, the return of Diamond Lil. Doubt it, but I can hope.
      Phil -
      That was my first initial fanboy thought!
      rplass -
      That's great news! Funny thing is that I predicted this exact title just a few days ago!!!! I also predicted a team-Up book with Northstar and Dazzler....will I go 2 for 2?
      Alphan East -
      It'll be great to see Madison getting used more than he has been lately.
      I'd still prefer to see him in Alpha Flight though.
      Canucklehead -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alphan East View Post
      I'd still prefer to see him in Alpha Flight though.
      Agreed. Alpha was not able to use him because of this series? I hope not.
      rplass -
      FREG was told they couldn't use Madison Jeffries because he was a property of the X-books. I doubt this new series had anything to do with the Jeffries ban.
      after3 -
      sweet. well I guess I'm off to my local comic shop... for the fifth time today.
      rplass -
      Now, THAT's hardcore. Solicit is for a December book, so bring supplies for the long wait until the book comes out.
      EccentricSage -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      "some developments" - I hope this means, the return of Diamond Lil. Doubt it, but I can hope.
      Should I start weeping for your hopeful optimism now? It's what I'm hoping, too. Some convoluted scientific excuse to bring back the dead. I'm sure you can imagine who else I have in mind. Bet you're thinking the same. lol
      Flightpath07 -
      I'm sure you can imagine who else I have in mind. Bet you're thinking the same.
      I'm thinking Billy Dee Williams. Course, its only his career that is dead.
      Phil -
      A bit more on the mini over at Bleeding Cool:

We-ell, on the one hand it’s an opportunity to have some fun with a lot of slicing-edge science. A lot of the most exciting future-concepts in the “real world” are out-of-bounds to contemporary fiction because the technologies (or the theory, or the R&D, or the materials, or whatever) aren’t quite up to spec. But of course the Marvel Universe exists a little further towards the “anything-can-happen” end of the spectrum, so suddenly it’s open season on all these deranged bio-, chemo- and techno-theories we’ve all been waiting for.
      For instance, some of the story revolves around the construction of a Space Elevator. That’s a concept which has had Scientists dribbling for years, but despite the theory being completely sound there are just too many technological stumbling-blocks to make it practicable anytime soon in the real world. But in the Marvel U? You’ve got a Canadian tech-savant who can intuitively build a nanotube tether, a hardlight-generating A.I. capable of computing engineering stresses and rare-earth ion-boosters during construction, and a bloody ex-villain with dominion over All Things Magnetic who can shift your colossal space-station counterweight into geosynchronous orbit easy as pie. Hey presto, Space Elevator. And that’s just the start.
      And if all that sounds a bit too much like technogibberish, fret not. Because on Hand-the-Second, WE DO SCIENCE also an opportunity to explore 4 of the most amazing and underused characters in the X-verse. Which means Kavita Rao being biosavvy and soulful, Jeffries being spaced-out and emotionally confused, Danger being – well… utterly and completely changed, hahaha – and Nemesis being the world’s only and best SCIENCE BASTARD.
      There are some big, big surprises in store, for the Science Team and the X-Men alike. And, yes, to overegg the bloody pudding with an old favourite, THE STATUS-QUO WILL CHANGE. Okay? Okay.
      Flightpath07 -
      Hints at changes that are never stated, never pinned down, never expanded on. Hm. That's...almost like saying nothing at all?

"There are some big, big surprises in store, for the Science Team" - again, absolutely no hints as to what they are? Colour me...pessimistic. And probably not very interested. I'll wait for the aftermath of the reveal of said surprises, before even THINKING about giving this more than a yawn. But that is just m.h.o.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Quote Originally Posted by EccentricSage View Post
      Should I start weeping for your hopeful optimism now? It's what I'm hoping, too. Some convoluted scientific excuse to bring back the dead. I'm sure you can imagine who else I have in mind. Bet you're thinking the same. lol
      Marvel just had two big events that brought back dead characters, Lil should have been brought back in either of them.

Dana
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      Marvel just had two big events that brought back dead characters, Lil should have been brought back in either of them.

Dana
      Unfortunately, with a cast of hundreds, the X books don't need any more peoples. And, if they did need one more, it'd be somebody popular (like Nightcrawler, 'returning' in X-Force). Without Fred and Greg interested in using her, I see no immediate hope for the revival of Lillian Crawley.
      EccentricSage -
      Good too see us all banning together to crush our own hopes. lol

And my old frustrations (understatement of the century) with Marvel are still a problem I see. I've only started paying attention to what is going on with Alpha. Still on '**** the X-verse' mode. Had no clue things have been as bad as they had been in the X-books. The X-writers should really just give Alpha their characters back and GTFO of the way. -_-
      Phil -
      See, I disagree.
      I think the AF cast is big enough as it is.
      Having Jeffries & Lil join would just clutterth pages up too much.
      I like Jeffries within X-Club, and it would have been too soon to bring Lil back in Chaos War after she was killed in Necrosha.
      Finding the balance of having Madison actually acknowledge AF being alive again/help them out occasionally is where the trick lies, especially if he and Northstar see each other frequently.
      Flightpath07 -
      I think the AF cast is big enough as it is.
      I agree. And think i mighta mentioned so in another thread.

I like Jeffries within X-Club
      Agree again. Leave him there! Just...
      having Madison actually acknowledge AF being alive again/help them out occasionally is where the trick lies, especially if he and Northstar see each other frequently.
      ...do that!

Seriously, I don't want him back in Alpha Flight. But ignoring that he is still active? Wouldn't Northstar have told them? Wouldn't there be ANY interest?

That said, I'd take Lil' back in Flight in a flash. Even just as an occasional helper.
      bigbloo -
      Plus there is that whole fling with Heather to consider. Maybe he should visit AF when Wolvie does, that way all of Heather's exes are there to meet the "new" Heather.
      Phil -
      I really don't thing his time with Heather needs rehashing.
      It was clear that both parties involved had moved on.