• Sales Position & Figures for Alpha Flight (Vol.4) #1 *UPDATED*

Diamond Comics have released their top 100 list of Comics for the month of June, including the placement of Alpha Flight (Vol.4) #1

Rank Index Title Price
    20 88.21 ALPHA FLIGHT #1 $3.99

This is a great position to be in, beating Marvel mainstays such as Wolverine, Iron Man, Deadpool & Hulk.
    Obviously given it's an #1, tied in to Fear Itself with a variant cover this isn't a figure we can start pre-empting an ongoing straight away, but its a very good thing, especially for a title many considered dead in the water.

Let's see what the figures are like for #2.

Did you do your bit and pre-order?

*UPDATE*

ICv2 have released the sales figures for the issue, based upon the Diamond Index with an estimated sales figure of 46,851.
    To compare it, BATMAN #711 in 15th place sold 53,113, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #664 in 10th place sold 54,808 and ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #160 in 1st place sold 159,355 (a rarity to break 100k, because of the death of Ult. Spider-Man)

(For comparison against #0.1 and Volume 3 sales, click here)
    Comments 24 Comments
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Despite having the title "Alpha Flight" and characters who looked a lot like "Alpha Flight", vol. 3 was not Alpha Flight. That's why it couldn't sustain itself.

Despite having the title "Alpha Flight" and some characters named after characters who looked like "Alpha Flight", vol. 2 was not Alpha Flight. That's why it couldn't sustain it self.

Volume 1 did sustain itself because the vision for the team and the series was clear, and the storytelling...initially...was strong. Everything went off-course when the belief that the team was not truly worthy was embraced, wholeheartedly. Although there are some good stories here and there since that time, Alpha Flight never truly recovered.

Until now. Volume 4 is Alpha Flight. And good storytelling will be the best argument for having an on-going, unless MARVEL has been upfront about exactly how many copies need to be bought in order for the title to become an on-going.

My guess is that the football will keep being yanked just before it's kicked.

And MARVEL previewed 9 solid gold pages of vol. 4 # 1, but published something not quite as good. [That's not the same as 'bad'] I'm surprised no one else is wondering why.
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
      Despite having the title "Alpha Flight" and characters who looked a lot like "Alpha Flight", vol. 3 was not Alpha Flight.
      But what is Alpha Flight?
      Is anything after Vol.1 #28 Alpha Flight?
      Who gets to decide what is and what isn't Alpha Flight?
      To some people who had never ever read anything with Alpha Flight in, Volume 3 IS Alpha Flight.
      And if they enjoy it, then that's their perogative.

That's why it couldn't sustain itself.
      Well, I'd just say it was because it was poorly written for the market.

Volume 1 did sustain itself because the vision for the team and the series was clear, and the storytelling...initially...was strong.
      That's the point = initially.
      It sustained itself for a period of time.

Everything went off-course when the belief that the team was not truly worthy was embraced, wholeheartedly.
      It's probably just me, but I have no clue what you mean by that.

Alpha Flight never truly recovered.
      Agreed, and now many people won't buy anything with the name Alpha Flight on it.

unless MARVEL has been upfront about exactly how many copies need to be bought in order for the title to become an on-going.
      Marvel have never ever stated anywhere that it will or even might become an ongoing.
      Let's get that clear.

And MARVEL previewed 9 solid gold pages of vol. 4 # 1, but published something not quite as good.[That's not the same as 'bad'] I'm surprised no one else is wondering why.
      I personally can't quite see that.
      I think that a lot of the pages we didn't see in the preview were better than the ones we did.
      I very much enjoyed #1 as an AF title and as a comic generally, my only fear was that readers picking it up purely for Fear Itself would be disappointed.
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      But what is Alpha Flight?
      Is anything after Vol.1 #28 Alpha Flight?
      Who gets to decide what is and what isn't Alpha Flight? [MARVEL decided with vol. 2 and vol. 3, and both got cancelled quickly]
      To some people who had never ever read anything with Alpha Flight in, Volume 3 IS Alpha Flight.
      And if they enjoy it, then that's their perogative.

Well, I'd just say it was because it was poorly written for the market.

[I know no one is supposed to hate, but I HATE the Mantlo era. And the Mantlo era lasted longer than the Byrne era. The damage done during that run wrecked Alpha Flight. Most of what comes after I take with a grain of salt. - G/A-F]

That's the point = initially.
      It sustained itself for a period of time.

It's probably just me, but I have no clue what you mean by that.

[This is old-school stuff. Interviews (at the time and later) hint at the "not worthy because it wasn't created by Lee/Kirby" reference. G/A-F]

Agreed, and now many people won't buy anything with the name Alpha Flight on it.

Marvel have never ever stated anywhere that it will or even might become an ongoing...
      As hard as it is for me to believe, there are probably people who's favorite Alpha Flight issue/story is from the Mantlo era. As hard as it is for me to believe, someone's favorite comic book may just be from the Mantlo era. Vision, execution, and storytelling are the main reasons for having an on-going: Alpha Flight is worth publishing because it is worth reading. When the stories are plausible and entertaining and true to the characters, Alpha Flight is most viable. When it is directionless, a joke, a parody, denigrated it is at its least viable.

Please PM for further discussion so this thread doesn't get sidetracked.
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
      Please PM for further discussion so this thread doesn't get sidetracked.

Not a problem.
      I wasn't getting at you personally, I just love discussing and debating anything AF with anyone who'll take part.