• First Look At Alpha Flight #2 *Spoilers* (UPDATED)

Possible spoilers at the link, click at your own risk.

Press Release

Puck Returns In ALPHA FLIGHT #2!

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at Alpha Flight #2, from the writing tag-team of Fred Van Lente & Greg Pak, and superstar artist Dale Eaglesham! Branded as traitors and trapped deep within Department H, Alpha Flight confronts a horrifying betrayal and Puck makes his shocking return to the Marvel Universe! Get in on the action this July, only in Alpha Flight #2!

ALPHA FLIGHT #2 (of 7) (MAY110588 )
    ALPHA FLIGHT #2 (of 7) EAGLESHAM VARIANT (MAY110589)
    Written by FRED VAN LENTE & GREG PAK
    Art by DALE EAGLESHAM
    Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
    Variant Cover by DALE EAGLESHAM
    Rated T+…$2.99
    FOC—6/20/11, On Sale—7/27/11

Well...now I'm a little creeped out and unsure if this is a good thing or not. But hey, look...competently-written speedster powers!

This article was originally published in forum thread: First Look At Alpha Flight #2 *spoilers* started by suzene View original post
    Comments 70 Comments
      Legerd -
      Oh yeah, Puck is a bit messed up by his time in Hell.
      SmurfInABlender -
      I gotta say this is my FAVORITE puck. The other characters are "As good as the original drawings" but this puck is the best puck I've seen. Dale Eaglesham has done something that outdoes the source material. IMO
      Alpha Rider -
      Like I siad before Puck's a bad little man.
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Finally managed to read the preview page with Judd. Wow. (ah, freckle-faced Heather is a "murderous villain"? I really hope that does get changed before publication) I hope that # 2 takes it up a notch and pulls together what happened in # 1, because Nerrkkod just leaving when Mac falls out of the sky and Mac more worried about what Cody's up to when he barely beat Nerrkkod...just doesn't seem right. To me.

Is somebody messin' with their minds?

And I hope Aurora is more than just a "messed-up chick." Northstar is regarded as a hero---rightfully so---Aurora should be seen as such, too. Without poaching on Mike Carey too much, it would be nice to touch on the X-Men Annual where Rogue and her team helped both of them on the Helicarrier.
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
      Without poaching on Mike Carey too much, it would be nice to touch on the X-Men Annual where Rogue and her team helped both of them on the Helicarrier.
      Norman Osborn undid all that over in Dark X-Men: The Beginning #3
      Sasquatch17 -
      Alpha Flight gets better and better!

I like the idea of Heather as a villain.

And if Puck is a little "messed up" so much the better!
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Spoilers...

While, I don't like the idea of Heather being a villain, I don't think everything is as it appears (nor do I really think she's a villain, she may have been coerced). I also don't think she's actually "murderous"...I think Mac is just embelishing a bit, since Heather attacked him so cold-bloodedly in issue 1 (she obviously didn't kill him).

Also, Puck certainly appears to be a bit off...Poor guy.

Dana
      varo -
      that looks awesome!!!
      Canucklehead -
      Can Mac's suit fire a shot without his helmet? It's nice to see him get a little face time. Don't get me wrong, I love the mask, but it can get a little bland when he wears it all the time.
      -K-M- -
      Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead View Post
      Can Mac's suit fire a shot without his helmet? It's nice to see him get a little face time. Don't get me wrong, I love the mask, but it can get a little bland when he wears it all the time.
      Yep.
      -----

S
      P
      O
      I
      L
      E
      R
      S

Now I'm impressed the Box bots actually could transform Sasquatch and Snowbird back into their base forms. No one has ever done that to them before.
      Ahab -
      I never understood how Heather could wear the Guardian suit without a helmet in the first volume of AF, nor do I understand now how Guardian could fire off a blast without it. I thought the suit was controlled by the cybernetic helmet. Did something change?
      -K-M- -
      I wonder why they switched Vindicator using her geothermal suit in the Chaos War one shot (and what she used right up till her death) back to her classic electromagnetic suit.
      Canucklehead -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
      I never understood how Heather could wear the Guardian suit without a helmet in the first volume of AF, nor do I understand now how Guardian could fire off a blast without it. I thought the suit was controlled by the cybernetic helmet. Did something change?
      Exactly. The whole suit started out as the helmet Mac built and "stole". And why bother wearing it if it's not needed?

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      I wonder why they switched Vindicator using her geothermal suit in the Chaos War one shot (and what she used right up till her death) back to her classic electromagnetic suit.
      The writers said they pretty much wanted to go with the early years (especially Byrne's) issues and they also said they never read the second series. Must be just their preference. At also gives Mac and Heather more of a "connection".
      suzene -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      Oh yeah, Puck is a bit messed up by his time in Hell.
      Word. I'm half-expecting the page after to show that puppy in his hands bursting into flame.

I do think it's actually going to be Puck, though...as firm as the last two creative teams have been on the "No more copies!" line, I don't see them bringing a fake out of Hell just to mess with team (or readers).
      Phil -
      GAH!
      Release date put back from 13th July to 27th
      I'm impatient

I do love that slightly maniacal Puckster! Cannot wait for some interaction with him and the big shaggy carpet!
      Phil -
      I have a sudden urge to re-dialogue that last page into something very stupid
      DelBubs -
      I haven't read of Pucks time in hell, what is this shiny soul cutter he talks off. Just curious as Alpha have a couple of mystical swords associated with them and Witchfire went up against Magik recently...
      Phil -
      Rob gives a summary over at his site: http://alphaflightcollector.wordpres...n-wolverine-5/
      DelBubs -
      Thanks. Now I have a better understanding. As long as Puck sticks around, that's all that really matters.
      rplass -
      It looks as Dale Eaglesham lost control of his panel layouts on the preview page with Puck. I can tell he's trying to build a dramatic moment by zooming in on Puck with large panels that increase in size toward the bottom left so as to show NS and Mac's reaction at the lower right. Ok fine, it works, but what's with that little square panel of cracked roof tiles all by itself? My eye wants the third Puck panel to extend just a little more to the left so as to have symmetrical border with its right side, and be connected to the little square panel. We know he doesn't use hi-tech digital tools otherwise I'd accuse him of being too lazy to deselect the rectangle tool.

I'll still buy the issue even though it has that little panel of cracked roof tiles, of course