Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AlphaFlight.net - First Look At Alpha Flight #2 *spoilers*
  • First Look At Alpha Flight #2 *Spoilers* (UPDATED)


    Possible spoilers at the link, click at your own risk.

    Press Release

    Puck Returns In ALPHA FLIGHT #2!

    Marvel is pleased to present your first look at Alpha Flight #2, from the writing tag-team of Fred Van Lente & Greg Pak, and superstar artist Dale Eaglesham! Branded as traitors and trapped deep within Department H, Alpha Flight confronts a horrifying betrayal and Puck makes his shocking return to the Marvel Universe! Get in on the action this July, only in Alpha Flight #2!







    ALPHA FLIGHT #2 (of 7) (MAY110588 )
    ALPHA FLIGHT #2 (of 7) EAGLESHAM VARIANT (MAY110589)
    Written by FRED VAN LENTE & GREG PAK
    Art by DALE EAGLESHAM
    Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
    Variant Cover by DALE EAGLESHAM
    Rated T+…$2.99
    FOC—6/20/11, On Sale—7/27/11


    Well...now I'm a little creeped out and unsure if this is a good thing or not. But hey, look...competently-written speedster powers!




    This article was originally published in forum thread: First Look At Alpha Flight #2 *spoilers* started by suzene View original post
    Comments 70 Comments
    1. DelBubs's Avatar
      DelBubs -
      My understanding is that 'Rocksie' was just a normal group of tiles until he was zapped by gamma radiation from a wayward blast during a fight between 'Radioactive Man' and Thor. Ergo not a normal mutant, but...

      Attachment 1262
    1. Phil's Avatar
      Phil -
      Are we gonna haveta split this thread & take it to the fanfic forum?
    1. DelBubs's Avatar
      DelBubs -
      I'll stop now
    1. rplass's Avatar
      rplass -
      Well if #2 has been pushed out by another two weeks, we have more time to fawn over preview material, so it's no wonder we're beating this one to death until something substantial takes over. By the way, at the signing, Mark Paniccia mentioned to me that some more preview material is coming our way. No details. He said he loves it how we see a panel or an unlettered page taken out of context and speculate/devour it!
    1. Ahab's Avatar
      Ahab -
      Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
      My understanding is that 'Rocksie' was just a normal group of tiles until he was zapped by gamma radiation from a wayward blast during a fight between 'Radioactive Man' and Thor. Ergo not a normal mutant, but...

      Attachment 1262
      I'm glad you got the gender right. So many readers mistakenly think 'Rocksie' is a girl because of the name...

      And to comment on your theory regarding the Guardian/Vindicator images in the preview, the image shows a trail going to the building and THEN Vindicator towing Guardian to the building (with another trail). It would make sense if Cody initiated the use of an imposter, but maybe I'm just not getting the images. Anyone else have thoughts?
    1. DelBubs's Avatar
      DelBubs -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
      I'm glad you got the gender right. So may readers mistakely think 'Rocksie' is a girl because of the name...

      And to comment on your theory regarding the Guardian/Vindicator images in the preview, the image shows a trail going to the building and THEN Vindicator towing Guardian to the building (with another trail). It would make sense if Cody initiated the use of an imposter, but maybe I'm just not getting the images. Anyone else have thoughts?
      Wasn't sure about his gender until I saw this pic of his girlfriend. Attachment 1263

      In regards to Guardian, although the pic could suggest the presence of a doppleganger, I can't figure the logic of it. I'm also having difficulty with Alpha Strike, are they government ot aniti government? Either way, there's a suggestion of brainwashing in all of this.
    1. DIGGER's Avatar
      DIGGER -
      All in all it's just another brick in the wall (apologies to fans of the song). If the panel had been extended, Pucks forehead in the next would have been lopped off. Or maybe it is foreshadowing of the Thing making an appearance. Or maybe it is to show that Puck is unstable or cracked. Or maybe it was just left like that so there wasn't a blank space.



      DIGGER
    1. bigbloo's Avatar
      bigbloo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
      What is happening on the first page of the previews? It appears that Guardian is exiting the side of a building and heading towards another (Parliament?) and then the next panel shows Vindicator towing an unconcsious Guardian to the same building. Is it to suggest that there is someone else now impersonating Guardian (in another Guardian suit) while he is imprisoned? Or am I just dense and not following the panels?
      Im reading the panels on the top as a flashback, Heather (in the middle panel, realtime) remembering a time when Gary Cody offered a deal with Mac and he stormed away in disgust. Then the bottom panel on the left is also realtime, with AF subdued by the Boxbots, and the next panel and the next page being a flashback again, showing how they were taken into custody.
    1. bigbloo's Avatar
      bigbloo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
      I'm glad you got the gender right. So many readers mistakenly think 'Rocksie' is a girl because of the name...
      I thought Rocksie was a girl! Isn't she Roger Boch's (Bochsie's) disgruntled girlfriend, Ellen Rocks, who - angry at the cavalier treatment of her one and only love- through experimenting on herself, acquired cracked-tile gamma-irradiated powers and has come to take revenge on all things Alpha, most particularly that thieving French Hussy and the traitorous mechanic turned X-scientist???
    1. Ahab's Avatar
      Ahab -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigbloo View Post
      I thought Rocksie was a girl! Isn't she Roger Boch's (Bochsie's) disgruntled girlfriend, Ellen Rocks, who - angry at the cavalier treatment of her one and only love- through experimenting on herself, acquired cracked-tile gamma-irradiated powers and has come to take revenge on all things Alpha, most particularly that thieving French Hussy and the traitorous mechanic turned X-scientist???
      Like so-many-things Alpha, I think that was another retcon.
      We'll have to wait for Loki to provide the definitive answer in the next run of the Marvel Universe Handbook.
    1. suzene's Avatar
      suzene -
      There's an unlettered page of Puck in action at this Newsrama interview with Pak and Van Lente.

      Seems to directly proceed the conversation between Puck, Guardian, and Northstar we see here, and it looks great! Oh, nostalgia!
    1. DelBubs's Avatar
      DelBubs -
      Added page to article, thanks Suzene.
    1. -K-M-'s Avatar
      -K-M- -
      Wow, thats an incredibly well drawn action sequence for Puck.
    1. bigbloo's Avatar
      bigbloo -
      Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
      There's an unlettered page of Puck in action at this Newsrama interview with Pak and Van Lente.

      Seems to directly proceed the conversation between Puck, Guardian, and Northstar we see here, and it looks great! Oh, nostalgia!
      Amazing to see Eugene in action again!

      But taking down Heather... with their history... I can't wait to see the dialogue on this!
    1. rplass's Avatar
      rplass -
      I love the thick sole on Puck's boot - holy cow look how thick it is! Dale Eaglesham really gave him a pair of (edited word that rhymes with my username)-kickers!!! I definitely do not want to get kicked in the face by those boots. Nice detail!

      Also, Heather's bum has returned for another visit. I'm sure Flightpath07 will have fun with that one like he did with the review he posted of the 0.1 issue!
    1. Phil's Avatar
      Phil -
      Man, I love that new page!
      Dale's artwork is a perfect fit for Puck's dynamics!
    1. DelBubs's Avatar
      DelBubs -
      Interesting to see both Mac and Heather using the suit without the cybernetic helmet. Seems they are probably only HUDS now. Kinda sad to see the battle taking place in the nursery, but maybe it gives a hint to Heathers motivations.
    1. Ahab's Avatar
      Ahab -
      Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
      Interesting to see both Mac and Heather using the suit without the cybernetic helmet. Seems they are probably only HUDS now. Kinda sad to see the battle taking place in the nursery, but maybe it gives a hint to Heathers motivations.
      I guess if the writers are treating Mac as still being a cyborg, the lack of the Guardian helmet can be explained now. I didn't think about that the last time that I posted about the topic.
    1. Phil's Avatar
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
      I guess if the writers are treating Mac as still being a cyborg, the lack of the Guardian helmet can be explained now. I didn't think about that the last time that I posted about the topic.
      Ugh. I honestly hope & pray they aren't touching the cyborg thing with a bargepole.
      I'm sure technology has improved since the AmCam days and I'm pretty sure Mac & Heather have used the suits without helmets in various guest appearances since Volume 1.
    1. DelBubs's Avatar
      DelBubs -
      I think when we discussed this a few years back the general view was that there was probably some kind of sensor in the neck of the suits that read impulses.