Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AlphaFlight.net - New Article In USA Today With Previews *Contains Spoilers!*
  • New Article In USA Today With Previews *Contains Spoilers!*


    In their second interview with USA Today Pak, Van Lente, Eaglesham, and (my new favouritist editor) Paniccia reveal some of the details that will unfold in the maxi-series, including the spoilers: who the hammer bearer is that attacks Canada, the name of the team that will hunt down Alpha Flight, and ... uh uh, you have to read the article if you want to find out more.

    And make sure you check out the preview pages with the article to get a taste of the Alpha Flighty goodness in store for us. You will not be disappointed!

    Comments 28 Comments
    1. rplass's Avatar
      rplass -
      Was that Attuma I saw? Wonder what he's doing all axe-wieldy and stuff. (Cue the "It's not a TUMA" jokes)

      I'm a bit disappointed in the hypersexualized version of Heather. I was hoping Eaglesham would reset the character to a more demure version, more like how Byrne drew her. That page in the preview with Heather's butt sticking out of the page just seems too much over the top, even for me.

      Marrina's new scarf thing around her neck can go. It doesn't even appear to obey physics when it comes to getting wet nor soggy. Otherwise I'm digging her new look.

      Everyone else looks great!
    1. rplass's Avatar
      rplass -
      Oh you can see Gary Cody in the newspaper picture on the ground - looks like he just won election as PM!

      Shaman is shown floating a huge truck-sized bubble out of the water to rescue some people in a pickup truck- what an iconic and awesome image, love it!

      You can see the name "PAK" on one of the store signs, nice little Easter Egg for writer Greg Pak, eh?

      I also love the helmeted guys with the "Dept H" on the back of his jacket - they look much better, more realistic and modernized than other Dept. H drones we've seen before.

      That's definitely Snowbird transforming into the Snowbirdasaurus... the wispy trails around her arms and cape are certain magical transformation wispy things, and an intermediate stage of transformation is shown sort of ghosty.

      And I love Aurora's swoop down to snatch the guns from Attuma's stooges - Eaglesham pulled off a look of surprise on the guy's face even though his eyes were covered by a helmet - nice touch! Also love inverted Aurora flying upside down blasting double barelled awesomeness! Very badass, especially for her. Wearing the classic black and white starburst costume too, not the yellow one Jimenez drew on the covers.
    1. DaVeO's Avatar
      DaVeO -
      Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
      Was that Attuma I saw? Wonder what he's doing all axe-wieldy and stuff. (Cue the "It's not a TUMA" jokes)

      I'm a bit disappointed in the hypersexualized version of Heather. I was hoping Eaglesham would reset the character to a more demure version, more like how Byrne drew her. That page in the preview with Heather's butt sticking out of the page just seems too much over the top, even for me.

      Marrina's new scarf thing around her neck can go. It doesn't even appear to obey physics when it comes to getting wet nor soggy. Otherwise I'm digging her new look.

      Everyone else looks great!
      Me likey sexy Heather. But I don't think she's hypersexualized in those pages, at all. It's been a long, long time since librarian Heather was on the scene with those huge glasses. For her character I'm glad they didn't reboot her. Heather is strong and confident both in her looks AND her intelligence. I WOULD like to know what power set she has though. The same as Mac's or going back to her geo-thermal abilities.
    1. Phil's Avatar
      Phil -
      I wouldn't say Heather's been sexualised per se... she looks more natural than in Vol.2. Maybe breast feeding's just worked for her.

      Dino-Snowbird...? Hmm...

      Alpha Strike? Well, I suppose that's better than rehashing an Omega Flight.

      Yay for proper Puck confirmation!

      Overall, I'm still impressed by the action and definitely by the art.

      Nice to see the whole team (apart from Northstar *cue dramatic music?*) getting equal face time so far.
    1. rplass's Avatar
      rplass -
      I, too noticed the lack of Northstar, but it seemed characters were being introduced one per page and they only got as far as Aurora in the previews.... he's likely on the next page. But it is curious that they didn't introduce the twins at the same time.
    1. DelBubs's Avatar
      DelBubs -
      I like the way Eaglesham uses sillhoette (sp) in panels to show what's happening. I tried to count the number of times and make it about four or five times.
    1. Flightpath07's Avatar
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
      I like the way Eaglesham uses sillhoette (sp) in panels to show what's happening. I tried to count the number of times and make it about four or five times.
      That's as high as i can count, anyways.
    1. DelBubs's Avatar
      DelBubs -
      To count past five I've gotta take my other mitten off.
    1. Flightpath07's Avatar
      Flightpath07 -
      We never take off our mittens in Canada. Or our skis (how else would we reach Tim Horton's?).
    1. DelBubs's Avatar
      DelBubs -
      I could goggle this, but "what's a 'Tim Horton's'?.

      Attachment 1036
      Alpha Fans anticipate May '18th' rush
    1. Flightpath07's Avatar
      Flightpath07 -
      Marrina's new scarf thing around her neck can go. It doesn't even appear to obey physics when it comes to getting wet nor soggy.
      It's seawood, and is alive in a sense; I like it.

      but "what's a 'Tim Horton's'?.
      *Choking on my coffee and donut* Er...it is Canada's premiere donut and coffee shop. It's a Canadian institution, named for a deceased hockey player.
    1. Garry/Al-Fan's Avatar
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Great article. Bad guys "ALPHA STRIKE"---EXCELLENT INFO! Artwork and Attuma... impressive. I am looking forward to this, now.

      Thanks to everyone for giving something to get excited about.

      ALPHA FLIGHT is back...finally!
    1. Sasquatch17's Avatar
      Sasquatch17 -
      I'm so happy that we're getting an Alpha Flight series with the original team!!!

      Can't wait!
    1. Legerd's Avatar
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
      I could goggle this, but "what's a 'Tim Horton's'?.
      Are you pulling a Steve Rogers on us?

      With all the new takes on old favorites, Van Lente is more than a little curious to hear what Byrne thinks of his and Pak's version of Alpha Flight. "His book was my favorite of the 1980s," Van Lente says. "I hope he thinks we've done great things with his wonderful characters."
      You know, someone should go to Byrne's site and ask him how he feels about this version of AF. I'd be curious to hear his answer too.
    1. Flightpath07's Avatar
      Flightpath07 -
      You know, someone should go to Byrne's site and ask him how he feels about this version of AF. I'd be curious to hear his answer too.
      I second that. Should probably wait until the first couple of issues come out, see if he even glances at them or not. If not...no point in asking him!
    1. suzene's Avatar
      suzene -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      You know, someone should go to Byrne's site and ask him how he feels about this version of AF. I'd be curious to hear his answer too.
      Eh. Considering how few kind words Byrne has for his own version of Alpha Flight, I really wouldn't. Not that I'm being down on Byrne -- I can't help but think I'd get a bit tired of fielding 30 years worth of questions regarding what I felt was a mediocre book I never wanted to do in the first place for a company I've since had a falling-out with.
    1. Legerd's Avatar
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      I second that. Should probably wait until the first couple of issues come out, see if he even glances at them or not. If not...no point in asking him!
      Of course it should be after the books come out, weren't you reading my mind? Do I have to type out all my thoughts? Still, someone could post the link to the interview on his site, and get his immediate thoughts on the direction, and the characters, no?

      Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
      Eh. Considering how few kind words Byrne has for his own version of Alpha Flight, I really wouldn't. Not that I'm being down on Byrne -- I can't help but think I'd get a bit tired of fielding 30 years worth of questions regarding what I felt was a mediocre book I never wanted to do in the first place for a company I've since had a falling-out with.
      I'd love to hear what Byrne thinks about this, but more importantly Van Lente wants to know. Byrne must understand he'll be asked about his entire body of work, which includes AF, and the book wasn't mediocre when he worked on it. At least it wasn't received that way by the fans. But I see your point.
    1. Le Messor's Avatar
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      Of course it should be after the books come out, weren't you reading my mind?
      I was, and now the men in the white coats won't let me near sharp objects.

      I noticed that they only commented on subtle redesigns of Shaman's and Snowbird's costumes... nothing about the slightly more subtle redesign of Marrina.

      - Le Messor
      Gomez: My name is Gomez Addams, and I have seen evil!
      (Pubert coos)
      Gomez: I have seen HORROR!
      (Lurch smiles and raises his hand)
      Gomez: I HAVE SEEN THE UNHOLY MAGGOTS WHICH FEAST IN THEE DARK RECESSES OF THE HUMAN SOUL!
      Morticia: They're at camp.
      Gomez: I have seen all this, Officer. But until today, I had never seen... YOU!
    1. Legerd's Avatar
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      I was, and now the men in the white coats won't let me near sharp objects.

      I noticed that they only commented on subtle redesigns of Shaman's and Snowbird's costumes... nothing about the slightly more subtle redesign of Marrina.
      Just tell the white coats I said it was okay for you to have sharp objects. You shouldn't have a problem after that. And yes, I did notice there was no mention of the Marrina redesign. What does that mean, eh?
    1. Sypes's Avatar
      Sypes -
      I love in the scene where Mac and Heather both save someone from the helicopter, and when they drop the people down, there seem to be some tension between then. Heather seems to butt in between Mac and the reporter, and as they fly away, Mac seems a bit "tensed". What's happening there?