• Marvel.com's Q&A with Pak & Van Lente

Marvel has posted an interview with the writers of Alpha Flight Vol.4, Grek Pak & Fred Van Lente which features some new previously unseen pages from Issue #0.1 by artist Ben Oliver.

Go visit the link to see more!
    Comments 44 Comments
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Tried to comment on the Aurora/Walter pages last week, but it didn't take. I liked that part.

I'll try to refrain from commenting further until I can read the entire story.

Purple Girl/Persuasion/Kara wasn't the character I would've expected...
      rplass -
      Here is an image of Kara's butt.

Attachment 937

I can't believe I'm the only one who noticed it.
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
      Here is an image of Kara's butt.

Attachment 937

I can't believe I'm the only one who noticed it.
      Apparently Ben read alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com before drawing this issue! lol
      Phil -
      Let's try and keep this thread (& site) suitable for all ages folks...
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      I think he'll still be alive by the end of #0.1 as Dale's been drawing him.
      It could be for flashbacks.

The... other thing... the one that's changing what type of site this is... She's clearly wearing a costume. It's skin-tight, of course, but it's still clothes of sorts. It doesn't match her skin colour.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

- Le Messor
      Giles: I was 10, when my father told me I was destined to be a Watcher. He was one, and his mother before him. I was to be next.
      Buffy: Were you thrilled beyond all measure?

Giles: No. I had very definite plans about my future. I was to be a fighter pilot. Or, a grocer.
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      November, 2010 CHAOS WAR: ALPHA FLIGHT - "Quidlivun, Home of the Inua, the Northern Gods" (Jim McCann)....Tuesday (April 19th, 2011) Q & A, Snowbird sidebar "Narya's origins trace back to ancient times when the Eskimo Gods..."

Despite being hit by an adamantium man, I'm getting tired of seeing Sasquatch get knocked around by everybody.

There seems to be more interest in peek-a-boo Kara than in whether Alpha Flight will finally be recognized as the heroes they truly are.

And Alpha Flight is going to be betrayed by one of their own, and have to fight their way out of Dept. H?

Who are they going to fight? More former Betans? Dark (fill-in-the-blank)?
      Banshee -
      Good article. Finally, Marvel puts somebody genuinely interested in and fans of the original Byrne run in the driving seat.

Now what about Talisman? Hopefully if the series is ongoing, she'll be back!
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
      There seems to be more interest in peek-a-boo Kara than in whether Alpha Flight will finally be recognized as the heroes they truly are.
      Gonna be honest... that's never been my bugbear.
      I sometimes feel like everybody (I don't necessarily mean the people of this site) has to feel like their heroes are the Best of the Best of the Best ever!!!! all the time. I don't, and I get tired of every team feeling like they have to be the BESTEST EVER!!! to be worth having a title, or at least a mildly serious one (as opposed to, say, the GLA).

So, while I DO recognise the need for respect for our team, I don't obsess over it. Unlike, say, colouring...

- Le Messor
      "R.E.S.P.E.C.T. find out what it means to me!"
      ~ Aretha Franklin
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Omega Flight: Tanaraq/Sasqatch and the Wrecking Crew tear up the city. Plus, demons fill the sky and attack innocent civilians. Arachne, Beta Ray Bill, Talisman, USAgent, and Mailman Mike save the day. Not Alpha Flight.

Volume 3: The whole team (made up mostly of the originals) gets captured by the plodex-ship. Not shown how.

Volume 2: Radius needs a device to eat; should have a bit of a problem going to the bathroom. New
      "Alpha Flight" (8 members) couldn't beat Mesmero, but Clarke sends them to take down Wolverine.
      And people wonder why this version got cancelled.

Alpha Flight doesn't have to be as all-pervasive as The Avengers and The X-Men, but it shouldn't be too much to ask for the best possible craftsmenship and quality. The MARVEL editors corrected the spelling of "Marrina" in (John Byrne's) AF # 1, vol. 1 (a fact I didn't know until Amazing Heroes disclosed it).

So instead of "Inuit", the books may publish "Eskimo". Instead of foreshadowing that Sasquatch is powerful enough to pull a battleship out of the water by himself, thereby establishing that he has a chance against the Hulk (HULK Annual # eight), Citadel just knocks him around.

Didn't folks think that if OF didn't take off, nobody would be able to do it?

*cough* McCann & Reilly *cough*
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I don't see what issue there is with Kara's clothing-covered butt being shown? She has pants on?! The horror!

@ Garry: Beaten by Betans? LOL!

@ Banshee: I think Fred said that we will see Talisman.

@ Garry: Mesmero ain't easy to beat, since all he needs to do is make eye contact and bam!...You're in his power. I agree that Volume 3 kind of made the original team look like chumps, which is a crime...Thanks for that, Scott.
      Le Messor -
      Omega Flight: Tanaraq/Sasqatch and the Wrecking Crew tear up the city. Plus, demons fill the sky and attack innocent civilians. Arachne, Beta Ray Bill, Talisman, USAgent, and Mailman Mike save the day. Not Alpha Flight.
      Agreed.
      But also, not bad.
      YMMV.

Volume 2: Radius needs a device to eat; should have a bit of a problem going to the bathroom.
      But when I think about it, which I freely admit I try not to do, I figure the same device could somehow be used for that, too.

New "Alpha Flight" (8 members)...
      If you're saying v2 was bad, I agree.
      Not only was it not Alpha Flight, the tone and style and types of stories were completely different, making it totally different to the original series. In fact, the exact opposite of why I love Alpha Flight.
      If you're saying it's bad because the team weren't totally bad-ass... whatever.

Alpha Flight doesn't have to be as all-pervasive as The Avengers and The X-Men, but it shouldn't be too much to ask for the best possible craftsmenship and quality.
      Totally agreed. Without that, no wonder serieses don't last.
      I don't think Marvel has gone for craftmanship and quality for a long time, though, going instead for whatever's HAWT! regardless of whether it fits with a particular title or not.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      @ Garry: Mesmero ain't easy to beat, since all he needs to do is make eye contact and bam!...You're in his power. I agree that Volume 3 kind of made the original team look like chumps, which is a crime...Thanks for that, Scott.
      True that...
      Also, the Mesmero bit was a total rip of Sandman. No, wait, we're comic book readers... who would ever notice that?

- Le Messor
      "I will make you shorter by a head."
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      @ Garry: Mesmero ain't easy to beat...

Alpha Flight is tough enough when handled with care.

I don't believe I'm getting ready to compare a Mantlo era story favorable to volume 2, but...

Mantlo's Alpha Flight beat Mesmero while fighting Sentinels. This by no means means I think AF# 43 is a good or plausible story. On the other hand, volume 2's Murmur couldn't even mount a bit of resistance against Mesmero and she's supposedly a mind-manipulator, too! (Ah, if she can't put up a good defense against another mind-manipulator, and she gets broken up in more physical altercations, what good is she?) And the character who could resist Mesmero was...MAN-BOT? MAN-BOT?

And people wonder why this version got cancelled.

Flightpath07 -
      Man-bot was AWESOME!

[ you too can join the Man-Bot fan club; just send $9.95 to... ]
      bigbloo -
      Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
      Seriously...making the boyfriend of your teenage crush into part of a grotesque and enormous automaton? Very Mean Girl...
      And makes soooo much sense! C'mon, tell me you wouldn't do if it, too. I would!
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      @ Garry Murmur was lame on a stick...LOL!

Dana
      Flightpath07 -
      I liked Murmur. She had...potential. Unused and untapped, but it was still there.
      DelBubs -
      Apart from Flex, vol 2 members mainly left me empty inside. Radius was Northstar lite. Murmur a dodgy Aurora rip off and the rest where so non descript that the only thing I remember is that one of them had BO (?) . This is just how I feel about them and I know that vol 2 bought a lot of new readers in, but it just wasn't for me.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
      Apart from Flex, vol 2 members mainly left me empty inside. Radius was Northstar lite. Murmur a dodgy Aurora rip off and the rest where so non descript that the only thing I remember is that one of them had BO (?) . This is just how I feel about them and I know that vol 2 bought a lot of new readers in, but it just wasn't for me.
      True, but I'm still liking this Murmur on a stick idea...

Del, have you lent Dfense your account? Suddenly you're writing exactly like him (?) and you never did before...

- Le Messor
      "I won’t rise to the occasion, but I’ll slide over to it."
      DelBubs -
      It won't happen again Mik, I was having a lucid moment watching some lady type person wander through a church towards a soldier, I thought it was a movie, turns out some ones getting married. I will be less lucid in future
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
      It won't happen again Mik, I was having a lucid moment watching some lady type person wander through a church towards a soldier, I thought it was a movie, turns out some ones getting married. I will be less lucid in future
      I didn't say you were more lucid like that...
      Maybe it was a dream?

- Mik
      "Living twice at once you'll learn
      You're safe from pain in the dream domain,
      A soul set free to fly"
      ~ Queensr˙che, Silent Lucidity