• Alpha Flight #0.1 Preview *UPDATED*

USA Today has an Exclusive 3 page preview of this May's Alpha Flight #0.1 along with an interview with Fred Van Lente.

Feast your eyes!

UPDATE:

Marvel have issued the following Press Release:

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at Alpha Flight #0.1, from New York Times bestselling writers Greg Pak & Fred Van Lente and acclaimed artist Ben Oliver! As Fear Itself approaches, The fan-favorite super hero team returns in this special POINT ONE issue, a great starting point for new readers! Meet the founding members that made Alpha Flight great! Super-powered terrorists attack as the nation goes to the polls on Election Day and the country's greatest heroes rise to stop them — but are they on the right side?

“Alpha Flight Fans rejoice! One of comics’ greatest teams is back in their own book! Fred Van Lente and Greg Pak have crafted a perfect jumping on point for the new reader and AF loyalists alike,” said Marvel Senior Editor Mark Paniccia. “In just a few pages, the two scribes get you caught up with your favorite heroes, get them right into the action and seed a major plot point for the new maxi-series debuting in June with fan-favorite artist extraordinaire, Dale Eaglesham. Get on the horn, the message boards, communication devices of all types and tell your friends that Alpha Flight is back!”

Get in on the ground floor for one of this year’s hottest new series before they head into the fight of their lives during Fear Itself! Do you fear your country turning on you? Watch as the team gets drawn into a civil war all its own this May, only in Alpha Flight #0.1!

ALPHA FLIGHT #0.1 (MAR110629)
    Written by GREG PAK & FRED VAN LENTE
    Penciled by BEN OLIVER
    Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
    Rated T+ …$2.99
    FOC – 4/25/11. On Sale – 5/18/11
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Alpha Flight 0.1 Preview started by mreeez View original post
    Comments 39 Comments
      Phil -
      I like the fact that different artists have their own unique styles sometimes though.
      It'd be boring if Byrne was the only person to have ever drawn Sas.
      Flightpath07 -
      If Boring = Awesome, then i agree with Phil!
      MajorMountie -
      Haha, perfect. Yes, Byrne's Sas is the best.

That being said, I need to make sure I get this book. Had no clue it was coming out! This preview is fantastic.
      DelBubs -
      Welcome Major Mountie. Nice to see you jumping straight in. If you get the urge there's a Introduce yourself thread in the general discussion forum. Nice to meet you.
      MajorMountie -
      Thanks! I made a little post there, so hopefully I'll get to know some folks here sooner than later.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by MajorMountie View Post
      hopefully I'll get to know some folks here sooner than later.
      No, Randy, that'll never happen...
      Banshee -
      The art is amazing. I am so looking forward to this. With all the *crap* that Marvel is publishing, surely the Flight will fly this time. What's not to like!
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
      With all the *crap* that Marvel is publishing, surely the Flight will fly this time.
      I've mentioned somewhere recently that popular good. Sadly, that works both ways...

I usually phrase it that I've never noticed a correlation between quality and popularity. I've seen things that are popular and good, and things that are popular and bad. I've seen things that are unpopular and bad, and things that are unpopular and good.

So, even if Alpha Flight stands out as the best title Marvel is publishing now-- Banshee, why are there only three digits in the Grissom's call-sign? NCC 638? I've never seen a starfleet vessel with less than four! (That wasn't an NX-, at least...)

- Le Messor
      "I will defend to your death my right to my opinion."
      ~ Author Unknown
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I agree with Mik....Look at Captain Britain & MI13...Fantastic reviews and didn't it get nominated for/or win some award(s)? As Mik stated, Good does not equal popular or vice versa.

Dana
      musicgeek -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      May 18th.
      Stupid question. Does anyone know why Marvel does not have it listed in their May releases? I found the dates for AF #1 in June and #2 in July (second Wednesday of each month), but not the 0.1 issue in May. (http://marvel.com/comic_books/calendar/thisWeek)
      Flightpath07 -
      Because the link you posted only displays comics published from May 1st thru 7th?
      Phil -
      I'd imagine it's just an oversight.

The solicit and press-release have it for May 18th, as do Diamond still.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      I'd imagine it's just an oversight.

The solicit and press-release have it for May 18th, as do Diamond still.
      DID YOU SAY DIAMOND LIL?! Oh...No...Sorry.

Dana
      Ahab -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      DID YOU SAY DIAMOND LIL?! Oh...No...Sorry.

Dana
      I miss Diamond Lil. Hopefully Hercules knew her and got that wrong when he "fixed" everything too...
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Maybe the universe was so messed up with the afterlife being blasted open, that maybe she slipped out (along with others)...Who knows? It might be awesome if she turned up as a member of the government's team hunting Alpha.

Dana
      Flightpath07 -
      It might be awesome if she turned up as a member of the government's team hunting Alpha.
      Yet another reason, as well, for a cool scene when they have a cross-over with the X-Men. Love to see the expression on Madison's face when he sees her alive.
      suzene -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Yet another reason, as well, for a cool scene when they have a cross-over with the X-Men. Love to see the expression on Madison's face when he sees her alive.
      For the two seconds before she slaps it clean to the other side of his head.
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
      For the two seconds before she slaps it clean to the other side of his head.
      Oh...and he deserves it!

(Isn't he cheating on her still-warm corpse with a coffee-maker, or a toaster, or some other X-appliance?)
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
      Stupid question. Does anyone know why Marvel does not have it listed in their May releases? I found the dates for AF #1 in June and #2 in July (second Wednesday of each month), but not the 0.1 issue in May. (http://marvel.com/comic_books/calendar/thisWeek)
      The calendar's been updated.
      It's skeleton bare at the moment, but it's listed for May 18th.

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/...light_2011_0.1

No sign of the MCP X-Men: Alpha Flight though, which was originally supposed to ship the same date.

EDIT: Answered my own query.