• Issue #2 Solicitation

Here's the solicit for AF #2:

ALPHA FLIGHT #2
    Written by FRED VAN LENTE & GREG PAK
    Penciled by DALE EAGLESHAM
    Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
    Variant Cover by DALE EAGLESHAM
    FEAR ITSELF TIE-IN!

Alpha Flight… traitors??? After saving their country from the hammer-wielding XXXXX, The Flight are captured by
the newly risen Unity Party and branded as traitors. Now they must escape from the bowels of the top-secret facility, Department H, they once called home. In doing so they must confront the shocking betrayal of one of their core members -- and discover an imprisoned hero readers have clamored to see since this series was announced! The red-hot writing team of Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente and artistic legend Dale Eaglesham continue their highly-anticipated resurrection of one of Marvel’s most beloved super hero teams in a story that absolutely cannot be missed!

FINAL ORDER CUT-OFF 6/20, (ON-SALE 7/13/11)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Issue #2 Solicitation started by Legerd View original post
    Comments 58 Comments
      Le Messor -
      I dunno, on that one cover, it looks like Shaman vs. everybody.

- Le Messor
      "I used to have a handle on life, but it broke."
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      I dunno, on that one cover, it looks like Shaman vs. everybody.
      Hmm... to me it looks like Shaman's trying to save Snowbird.

The thing I can't work out is whether or not Mac's trying to fly away or if he's just blasted Marrina.

If it's the latter then that'd make Mac the core betrayer?

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
      BTW, if it is Puck with the writers having decided that the best way to get rid of his "no, really! I'm a normal guy possessed by a demon!" retcon is to have had him locked up since issue #29 or so with a phony running about in the MU for the last twenty years, I will LMAO and buy five copies.
      That's a REALLY interesting point, and something I hadn't thought of... but given FVL's loathing of the Temporal Versions of AF I doubt they'd create a 2nd Puck.
      My guess is he got out of hell somehow...

Any guesses on who's going to become AF's hammer-wielding Worthy adversary?
      Flightpath07 -
      Yes, i have thoughts.

Many of them ("Why are you all laughing?" is one of them). Sometimes, more than one in a day!

Hammer-wielding...Wrecking Crew!

Shocking betrayal by...Mac. He's not a man given to politics. That's my thought. He just follows orders and serves his government; but he'll be the big hero in the end.

Imprisioned hero - definitely Puck.
      Legerd -
      I've got a hunch the hammer-wielding bad guy could be (a) Box.

I say this, because of something FVL said about Madison not being available for the maxi-series:
      The X-Office has declared Madison off-limits to us, I'm afraid. Box, though...
      Maybe he's just saying Box could show up if the book survives as an ongoing, or maybe he's giving a reveal?
      Flightpath07 -
      Why would you put a hammer in a box? And what would you use to smash open the box, seeing as how your new hammer is inside it?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Yes, i have thoughts.
      Many of them ("Why are you all laughing?" is one of them).
      If you don't know, I can't explain it.

Sometimes, more than one in a day!
      I'm sorry, I know that can hurt.

Shocking betrayal by...Mac. He's not a man given to politics. That's my thought. He just follows orders and serves his government; but he'll be the big hero in the end.
      Imprisioned hero - definitely Puck.
      First part, true. They've said AF will be betrayed. They never said the betrayer will stay betray-ey.

Puck is imprisoned on that cover, but it could be purely symbolic, just a pic that's got nothing to do with the contents. We've all seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      The X-Office has declared Madison off-limits to us, I'm afraid. Box, though...
      Ooh, Black box? Everybody, everybody ride on time!
      I take that to mean that...
      No, I don't. I just reread it. I was going to say that meant they really couldn't use him, but you're right, they can use Box. At least his legs. Then it'll be just kick-boxing.

Why would you put a hammer in a box? And what would you use to smash open the box, seeing as how your new hammer is inside it?
      You have to put it in a box before you give it to anybody.
      I'm still trying to figure out why my work's dishwasher is Thor brand? Who buys a dishwasher named after a guy famous for using a hammer?
      "Oh, we'll treat your dishes delicately, all right..." *snigger.*

- Le Messor
      "I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
      ~ Emo Phillips
      mreeez -
      I think it is going to be Marrina just looking at who the Worthy are (Marvel released who gets hammers yesterday).
      DelBubs -
      The hammer wielding guy is 'Bob The Builder' or not.
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by mreeez View Post
      I think it is going to be Marrina just looking at who the Worthy are (Marvel released who gets hammers yesterday).
      Where's this?
      mreeez -
      Bleeding Cool released them in 3 parts.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
      DIGGER -
      Maybe the guy with the hammer is Beta-Ray and maybe the whole promo has a great big typo and Alpha really isn't BETRAYED but rather gets Beta-Ray(ed).

DIGGER
      Flightpath07 -
      The Worthy?

Meh. Doesn't sound interesting to me. Just give me good stand-alone Flight stories already!
      sengsterooney -
      Wow. Puck! PUCK!!

I think Dale has been teasing us a bit with the "Puck... if we end up using him"... and they bring him back in #2.

For the record, I also ordered the variant (Puck) cover of #2.

I haven't felt this way since 1992!

DIGGER -

I guess you would do that so "you can't touch this" or "break it down".

DIGGER
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Hmmmm...Spoilers...

Citadel warned of the Unity party and even tells Sasquatch he's a slave to the government...While saying that government is being stolen...He seemed to know what was coming.

Dana
      Flightpath07 -
      If you don't know, I can't explain it.
      But you're my interpreter!

I guess you would do that so "you can't touch this" or "break it down".
      Thank you, MC Digger.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I forgot to mention....PUCK!

Dana
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
      The covers do seem to provide a strong hint as to who it might be...

BTW, if it is Puck with the writers having decided that the best way to get rid of his "no, really! I'm a normal guy possessed by a demon!" retcon is to have had him locked up since issue #29 or so with a phony running about in the MU for the last twenty years, I will LMAO and buy five copies.

Still v. worried about the traitor being one of Jeanne-Marie's personalities, though.
      I actually think that would be fantastic...I'd love to see an additional sinister personality be explored...Totally selfish, arrogant, ego-maniacal and vicious.

Dana
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
      Maybe the guy with the hammer is Beta-Ray and maybe the whole promo has a great big typo and Alpha really isn't BETRAYED but rather gets Beta-Ray(ed).

DIGGER
      LOL....That. Was. Fantastic. Good on you, Digger!

Dana
      Phil -
      Out of all the one's shown on BC I can only see it being Grey Gargoyle.
      The others would probably be considered too 'top tier' for AF.

However, I reckon that there'll be one of Pak & FVL's choosing within this series (& in Herc).