• Marvel Gives A First Look At Eaglesham's Alpha Flight *UPDATED*

In another positive push for the new Volume of Alpha Flight, Marvel.com brings us a sneak peek at Dale Eaglesham's sketchbook along with commentary from Dale himself on each of his designs.

Thursday saw a spotlight on Marrina, the most re-designed of all the characters, with more of the team on Friday.

For more of the sketches and Dale's notes visit here and here.

All images are property of Marvel, and are posted here out of support. Go visit the site and then order the comic!
    Comments 30 Comments
      Flightpath07 -
      Oh. My.

I like the hair. And the tattoo.

The rest...interesting.
      Le Messor -
      (BTW, the second 'here' in the article isn't a link. Mistake? Do I get a no-prize?)

Is it just me?

Attachment 869

And, a little closer to home:

Attachment 870

And:
      Attachment 871

I love those influences... if influences they are.

... okay, that last one probably is just me.

- Le Messor
      "I saw your patient today, who is still under our car for physical therapy."
      Phil -
      The 2nd here is so I can update it in an hr or so with today's sketches.
      DaVeO -
      I am loving this process. Boy, did she ever need an update. Really excited to see Dale's other concepts of AF.
      Canucklehead -
      Cool. Hopefully with an edgier look and attitude, she'll be a more rounded character and less "bipolar". Leave the "gone feral!" episodes for Wolvie. She was always my least favorite character because of that.

Part 2!
      Phil -
      I love the thought given to Sas' hair.

I genuinely think that in that sketch alone he's the best I've seen since Byrne.
      Flightpath07 -
      I prefer Sas when he is smiling. Under Byrne, he so often seemed like a friendly sort of character (until his beastial rage took hold of him, that is).
      DaVeO -
      These sketches are amazing. Pinch me I'm dreaming, at least these 8 issues will LOOK fantastic (please no fill-in artists, I'll wait for the quality if I have to).
      Sasquatch17 -
      Marrina just became 100X more interesting to me in one sketch!

I'm so looking forward to AF's return!
      sengsterooney -
      Out of curiosity, is PM Cody... Gary Cody? The ex-Alpha liaison who became (under Mantlo) their betrayer and had his brain fried? Is that him? Just curious as there is a hash-tag on Twitter called GaryCody4PM.
      Phil -
      Yeah, it appears to be one and the same...
      #0.1 sees an election for Canadian PM.
      Flightpath07 -
      Ironic, as we are in full election swing right now...
      Phil -
      Life does have a habit of imitating art!
      Flightpath07 -
      Also, the chances that we will elect somebody who has been previously accused of being brain-dead, is 100%.
      sengsterooney -
      Actually, I'm quite glad it's Gary Cody, as it's definitely a nod to the AF of the Byrne era and will tie this series in with the first volume. No doubt, he survived being brain-fried by Bedlam years ago.

I guess it's a bit passe these days to say I'M FREAKING LOOKING FORWARD TO THE RETURN OF THE REAL ALPHA FLIGHT!!!

I just hope that it gets promoted to a regular and not just a maxi.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Also, the chances that we will elect somebody who has been previously accused of being brain-dead, is 100%.
      Well, you will keep voting for politicians...

- Le Messor
      "Don't vote. It only encourages them."
      (that's aimed at you Americans... we have to vote in Australia.)
      Phil -
      Thanks to Seng we have this from FVL over on Dale's board:

This was discussed a bit on the AF.net forums, but thought it might be more pertinent to raise it here.

I noticed in one of Dale's sketches that the new PM of Canada (due to events unfolding in Fear Itself) is Prime Minister Cody. This wouldn't happen to be Gary Cody, the ex-AF liaison from Byrne's run of the title, and who Mantle brain fried in one of his issues of AF? If it is, that would be really, very cool!

The one and the same. The joys of CHAOS WAR, both in HERC and ALPHA FLIGHT, is that Herc, inadvertently and/or advertently, brought back a bunch of formerly-dead folks from Heaven and/or Hell. Some of those resurrections, in the case of Mac, Heather, Shaman were positive.

Some of them, in both the HERC and AF series... Not so much...
      Flightpath07 -
      Some of them, in both the HERC and AF series... Not so much...
      Ooooooo...I sense an appearance by Wild Child....(oh pleeze oh pleeze oh pleeze)
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      How very interesting...

Dana
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      A writer could also bring back other positive characters like Bochs or Diamond Lil too, but yes...It would be nice to see evil Wild Child return (unless, he isn't dead anyway...He didn't appear in the Wolverine in Hell story...Even though, his "killer" Omega Red did).

Dana