• Chaos War #5: The Fate Of Alpha Flight

We've already seen from the preview pages that at least two Alphans appear in Chaos War #5 (as indicated at the end of the Chaos War: Alpha Flight oneshot) but the question of whether of not they, and the rest of the team, would come back to Earth alive or go back to their pre-Chaos War state of death at the hands of The Collective has been on the minds of all Alpha Fans since the news of the oneshot.

Today sees the release of Chaos War #5 and the answer to that question....

After the opening page of #5 we see very little of Alpha Flight, which is understandable given that it's Hercules' story, until near the end.

Guardian is shown with a few more lines, giving some leadership commands and strategies to characters such as Yellowjacket and Hulk during the final battle with the Chaos King, which is a pretty respectful cameo considering the way he died and also used at the end as a way for Amadeus to explain how Herc managed to defeat the Chaos King - "You know, I actually am a rocket scientist but what just happened?"
    Not entirely sure about the accuracy of that, but again it establishes Mac as one of the brains of the Marvel Universe, as the opening page did for Walter.

After the battle is over Herc then uses the last of his Godpower to heal the Earth and restore it to how it was before; all the sleepers awaken, and all the dead go back to their eternal slumber....

... EXCEPT for one lone team of figures - Alpha Flight (though strangely Heather appears to be missing from the group shot)!!!!

That's right people; they made it!

Kudos to Greg Pak, Fred Van Lente, Jim McCann and all involved in one of the least convoluted resurrection stories I've read.

Here's to more AF in 2011 and beyond! Maybe in the all new Herc series to start with?
    Comments 39 Comments
      Flightpath07 -

The space of spoiling...

YYAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

I think Heather is just hidden behind Walter.
      Legerd -
      This gives me hope that we will see more positive appearances for AF in the future. If Marvel ever tries to sell a new AF book then they need to preface it with better (ie: more heroic and competent) showings by the team, and this is a good start.
      Mokole -
      Good, nice they used the team well and gave props to Guardian.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I'm very happy with this...This is great! I have to admit...I'm still a bit hesitant to change my sig, though. Maybe it's time...I dunno.

Dana
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I totally agree with Legerd....If Alpha had more positive appearances (without making them look like fools, jokes, etc...), then it may raise more interest in the team for non-fans. Marvel needs to stop cutting Alpha off at the knees, if they want it to have any marketability or longevity.

Dana
      mreeez -
      Another Fred Van Lente tweet answering a question about Chaos War #5

Fred Van Lente
      Can you list who exactly returned from the dead at the… — Mortals: Just those four members of Alpha Flight
      Flightpath07 -
      Y'know...not to raise any false hopes...BUT...WHY? WHY were they the only ones brought back?

Could it be there are plans for them? REAL plans for them?

"Only time will tell, Fuzz Buddy...only...time...will...tell...." - Earthworm Jim to Peter Puppy
      suzene -
      Possibly giving Kyle and Yost more respect that they deserved by not undoing Lil's death right away? But then, Marrina's fridging was even higher profile and it got the finger, so I'm guessing they decided bringing back the original line-up (plus Heather) would have more impact than crowding the return story with later Alphans.
      mreeez -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Y'know...not to raise any false hopes...BUT...WHY? WHY were they the only ones brought back?

Could it be there are plans for them? REAL plans for them?

"Only time will tell, Fuzz Buddy...only...time...will...tell...." - Earthworm Jim to Peter Puppy
      Well, there was also this tweet from FVL

@fredvanlente
      Fred Van Lente
      Maybe. Unless we just brought 'em back for fun. RT @dfstell Is there an unannounced plan for Alpha Flight post-Chaos War?
      Flightpath07 -
      Maybe.

[mey-bee]
      - adverb
      1. perhaps; possibly: Maybe I'll go.

possibly; neither yes nor no

- noun
      2. a possibility or uncertainty.

Maybe.
      From the early 15th century, from (it) may be.

Spoiler Space...

Nope; I'm still unclear.
      Is that officially a non-answer?
      Le Messor -
      Nope; I'm still unclear.
      Is that officially a non-answer?
      Mayb--

nah.

- Le Messor
      "I feel that if a person can't communicate, the very least he can do is shut up."
      ~ Tom Lehrer
      mreeez -
      More info on AF in Chaos War.

Some choice quotes

Nrama: And on that exact note, we got a couple of Twitter questions on Alpha Flight, including multiple ones along this line, as asked by @DrHiphop85, “What made you choose to bring back the Alpha Flight out of all the characters?”
      Pak: Because they’re awesome. I think it’s time to have Alpha Flight available and kicking around.
      Nrama: Following right up on that, @Bronn1 asks, “Can we hope to see more of Alpha Flight post-Chaos War?” I would assume they were brought back for a reason, right?

Pak: Who knows what’s going to happen? I just suggest reading every Marvel book that comes out from now on.
      Flightpath07 -
      Wow. So, they are going to appear in every Marvel book that comes out from now on?

Geez, I gots to clear out some more space on my bookshelf...that, and stop eating and driving and using electricity...
      Le Messor -
      Wow. So, they are going to appear in every Marvel book that comes out from now on?
      Geez, I gots to clear out some more space on my bookshelf...that, and stop eating and driving and using electricity...
      I would like to take this moment to announce my retirement so I have enough time to read the things...
      Phil -
      I'm sure between everyone on here we buy all of Marvel's titles collectively, or at least skim through them enough to notice any guest appearances.
      Sasquatch17 -
      Wow...I'm stunned that Marvel actually brought them back.
      mos_def -
      technically, they dont have to work with the government directly now. Which early on in the Byrne series was the good thing about them, they showed how to work as a team, or try to, when not government sponsored (Avengers) living off tech patents (FF) or under school roof (X-Men)
      Phil -
      True, technically they're registered dead so the governement wouldn't be able to force them to do a thing!
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      True, technically they're registered dead so the governement wouldn't be able to force them to do a thing!
      Attachment 833
      Phil -
      And I suppose legally they wouldn't be Canadian anymore either...