• Chaos War #5: The Fate Of Alpha Flight

We've already seen from the preview pages that at least two Alphans appear in Chaos War #5 (as indicated at the end of the Chaos War: Alpha Flight oneshot) but the question of whether of not they, and the rest of the team, would come back to Earth alive or go back to their pre-Chaos War state of death at the hands of The Collective has been on the minds of all Alpha Fans since the news of the oneshot.

Today sees the release of Chaos War #5 and the answer to that question....

After the opening page of #5 we see very little of Alpha Flight, which is understandable given that it's Hercules' story, until near the end.

Guardian is shown with a few more lines, giving some leadership commands and strategies to characters such as Yellowjacket and Hulk during the final battle with the Chaos King, which is a pretty respectful cameo considering the way he died and also used at the end as a way for Amadeus to explain how Herc managed to defeat the Chaos King - "You know, I actually am a rocket scientist but what just happened?"
    Not entirely sure about the accuracy of that, but again it establishes Mac as one of the brains of the Marvel Universe, as the opening page did for Walter.

After the battle is over Herc then uses the last of his Godpower to heal the Earth and restore it to how it was before; all the sleepers awaken, and all the dead go back to their eternal slumber....

... EXCEPT for one lone team of figures - Alpha Flight (though strangely Heather appears to be missing from the group shot)!!!!

That's right people; they made it!

Kudos to Greg Pak, Fred Van Lente, Jim McCann and all involved in one of the least convoluted resurrection stories I've read.

Here's to more AF in 2011 and beyond! Maybe in the all new Herc series to start with?
    Comments 39 Comments
      Flightpath07 -
      Nor would they be able to legally work. Hence, no money. Thus, starvation (off panel) and death...
      Duane V -
      Okay, Now it's time for Marvel to mend fences with John Byrne and get him back on ALPHA FLIGHT! LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Nor would they be able to legally work. Hence, no money. Thus, starvation (off panel) and death...
      I've heard if you're dead, you shouldn't operate heavy machinery. Which would knock out a lot of jobs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane V View Post
      Okay, Now it's time for Marvel to mend fences with John Byrne and get him back on ALPHA FLIGHT! LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT
      That would be sooooo cool!

- Le Messor
      "I just don't see why everyone's always picking on Marie-Antoinette. I can so relate to her. She worked really hard to look that good, and people just don't appreciate that kind of effort. And I know the peasants were all depressed... So they're like, 'Let's lose some heads.' Uh. That's fair. And Marie-Antoinette cared about them. She was gonna let them have cake."
      ~ Cordelia
      Phil -
      I'd settle for a Byrne variant cover to #1.
      No way it'll happen though
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Stranger things have happened. From the infamous off-panel, "cannon-fodder" death, Marvel published one of the best Alpha Flight stories in the team's long history. John Byrne still writes and illustrates entertaining stories (Blood of the Demon, FX). I can't speak to the numbers, but entertaining stories should be a main concern for anybody interested in publishing comic books.
      Phil -
      With all the bad blood between Marvel and JB/between JB and Marvel I doubt it'll happen.
      But as you say, stranger things have happened.
      Sasquatch17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      With all the bad blood between Marvel and JB/between JB and Marvel I doubt it'll happen.
      But as you say, stranger things have happened.
      Could you tell me why there is bad blood between JB and Marvel?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch17 View Post
      Tetanus?

I can't say why, but it definitely exists. OTOH, I think Byrne could be... persuaded... to work for them again. From my (good but a little limited) knowledge of him, all it'd take is the right motivation.

- Le Messor
      "It depends on whether they like you... and how big your... pocket book is."
      ~ Dex, Attack Of The Clones
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch17 View Post
      I'm basing it on hearsay and speculation chinese-whispered down the years, so I'm not going to put it here for fear of bringing this site into conflict with either party involved, but I'm pretty sure google can be your friend on this one.
      Le Messor -
      I'm pretty sure google can be your friend
      Nobody else will be.
      Flightpath07 -
      Not true! I invited Phil over for the holidays!
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Not true! I invited Phil over for the holidays!
      I meant my friend...

(I'm joking around here, btw.)
      Flightpath07 -
      Couldn't tell. Your avatar never smiles.
      Phil -
      It smiles at me.

While I sleep.
      Flightpath07 -
      Scary.....
      Le Messor -
      It smiles at me.
      While I sleep.
      How long have you known?!?
      Phil -
      Part of me has known all my life... deep down...

(This thread is old enough to be derailed, yeah?)
      Le Messor -
      Part of me has known all my life... deep down...
      (This thread is old enough to be derailed, yeah?)
      Well, I've been on it for more than five minutes...
      My avatar? Attack anyone in their sleep?
      Flightpath07 -
      lol