• November sales figures - Chaos War: Alpha Flight

As per ICY2.com

Chaos War: Alpha Flight
    sold an estimated 17,164 copies, coming in at #107 for the month. Which... well, it's not very good. It's not horrible, though! Not enough to warrant an ongoing any time soon, but certainly worth revisiting with more one-shots and the like, I'd say. Also, it was awesome, which is really what matters at the end of the day.

This article was originally published in forum thread: November sales figures are in started by MistressMerr View original post
    Comments 74 Comments
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Considering that CHAOS WAR: ALPHA FLIGHT came out on the 24th of November, right before Thanksgiving, cost $3.99 a copy, and was competitive with other titles also on sale at the time (and hoarding multiple copies doesn't seem to be much of a factor this time), I'd say ALPHA FLIGHT is holding its own. I don't know if this is enough to warrant another one-shot, but based on the story that was told, I certainly hope it is.
      Mokole -
      Well argued!
      Phil -
      The sales would have been based upon initial orders though, so I don't think the Thanksgiving argument would be valid. It highlights the importance of pre-ordering though.
      The price is standard of Marvel, and certainly of all the Chaos War titles, so again that doesn't add to it, although it does say something about the general sales of the comic industry.
      varo -
      well, i hope the positive reaction to the story warrants something more. it was very well done.

on a side note, i just saw that kazar has a ongoing starting in march, and i don't want to disrespect kazar fans, but it drives me nuts that books like that get a ongoing and alpha doesnt.
      suzene -
      Quote Originally Posted by varo View Post
      well, i hope the positive reaction to the story warrants something more. it was very well done.

on a side note, i just saw that kazar has a ongoing starting in march, and i don't want to disrespect kazar fans, but it drives me nuts that books like that get a ongoing and alpha doesnt.
      On-going in name only, I imagine. What will probably happen is that the numbers for the first issue will come in, they will be awful, Marvel will pull the plug, and the book will be canceled by issue five, maybe four or six depending. See also: S.W.O.R.D, Young Allies, Hawkeye and Mockingbird, etc.
      varo -
      teah, was thinking the same thing. whats really sad is of those books you listed, hawkeye/mockingbird was a very fun read. maybe some maxi series like the inhumans, with 12 issue runs.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I'd love to see a 12 issue maxi series of Alpha Flight...Maybe a maxi-series every year?

Dana
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      I'd love to see a 12 issue maxi series of Alpha Flight...Maybe a maxi-series every year?

Dana
      Would that mean Mac has to die at the end of every maxi series? lol
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Would that mean Mac has to die at the end of every maxi series? lol
      Yeah, he could be the Kenny of Marvel.
      Attachment 811
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      The sales would have been based upon initial orders though, so I don't think the Thanksgiving argument would be valid. It highlights the importance of pre-ordering though.
      The price is standard of Marvel, and certainly of all the Chaos War titles, so again that doesn't add to it, although it does say something about the general sales of the comic industry.

So if two people order 50,000 copies each, CW:AF would be an unqualified success no matter how many copies are actually bought? I don't understand.

17,000 x $3.99 = $67,830 ...that I can understand.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
      So if two people order 50,000 copies each, CW:AF would be an unqualified success no matter how many copies are actually bought? I don't understand.
      You guys didn't all order 50,000 copies each?
      You shall consider your fanhoods cheap that you weren't there on Chaos War Alpha's day!

... slightly less unseriously, I take it that comic shops do pre-ordering, and the sales figures we have are based on that. How many of them make it into fans' hands is what we're more concerned with, though.

- Le Messor
      "I don't feel old ~ I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap."
      ~ Bob Hope
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post

Ordering = Buying.

The sales figures are how many copies Diamond sell to retailers.
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      How many of them make it into fans' hands is what we're more concerned with, though.
      We as fans; yes to a degree.

The Disney accountants; no siree. Dollars, nothing but.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      We as fans; yes to a degree.
      The Disney accountants; no siree. Dollars, nothing but.
      True dat.