• November sales figures - Chaos War: Alpha Flight

As per ICY2.com

Chaos War: Alpha Flight
    sold an estimated 17,164 copies, coming in at #107 for the month. Which... well, it's not very good. It's not horrible, though! Not enough to warrant an ongoing any time soon, but certainly worth revisiting with more one-shots and the like, I'd say. Also, it was awesome, which is really what matters at the end of the day.

This article was originally published in forum thread: November sales figures are in started by MistressMerr View original post
    Comments 74 Comments
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
      As for Wolverine...

Is he not in: Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine, Wolverine: Goes To Hell, Dark Wolverine? (Just to name the ones I am aware of? Is he still in New Avengers, or any Avengers title?)
      Don't forget: Wolverine: The Best There Is.
      Le Messor -
      From what I can tell, most people love 52. But nobody, I mean nobody, likes Countdown.
      Not even Queen fans...

As for Wolverine...

Is he not in: Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine, Wolverine: Goes To Hell, Dark Wolverine? (Just to name the ones I am aware of? Is he still in New Avengers, or any Avengers title?)
      Those aren't all technically Wolverine. One's a robot, one's his son, as I understand.
      Still, as a reader? I don't care. They're in there to be Wolverine, and that's all that counts to me.
      I believe he's still in Avengers.

- Le Messor
      "I could dance with you till the cows come home... On second thoughts, I'll dance with the cows and you go home"
      ~ Groucho
      -K-M- -
      Yeah 52 was great, Countdown for the most part sucked but had a few good issues, and Trinity I really didn't like and dropped it.
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      Don't forget: Wolverine: The Best There Is.
      I will cut this one slack. Isn't it - at least - a one shot only?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      From what I can tell, most people love 52. But nobody, I mean nobody, likes Countdown.
      Not even Queen fans...

Those aren't all technically Wolverine. One's a robot, one's his son, as I understand.
      Still, as a reader? I don't care. They're in there to be Wolverine, and that's all that counts to me.
      I believe he's still in Avengers.
      I believe Wolverine appears extensively in Dark Wolverine, fighting his son, who apparently wants to kill him or something. And in which one is he a robot?

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      Yeah 52 was great, Countdown for the most part sucked but had a few good issues, and Trinity I really didn't like and dropped it.
      Yeah. Not so much for me. I was suddenly being forced to read character I knew nothing and cared nothing about. It'd be like collecting ALPHA FLIGHT and having them replaced by characters named Radius, Murmur, and Sasquatch II and Manbot and... Oh wait. That happened.
      DIGGER -

Yeah. Not so much for me. I was suddenly being forced to read character I knew nothing and cared nothing about. It'd be like collecting ALPHA FLIGHT and having them replaced by characters named Radius, Murmur, and Sasquatch II and Manbot and... Oh wait. That happened.
      I wish I could do that whole Bobby Ewing thing from Dallas in the 80's and just say that was just a bad, bad dream.

DIGGER
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
      I wish I could do that whole Bobby Ewing thing from Dallas in the 80's and just say that was just a bad, bad dream.

DIGGER
      LOL.

Dude. That was epic.
      Le Messor -
      I believe Wolverine appears extensively in Dark Wolverine, fighting his son, who apparently wants to kill him or something. And in which one is he a robot?
      X-Force?
      Or so I thought. I could be wrong.
      You seem to know more about DW than I do. Which isn't hard. I already know more than I care.

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
      It's just a dream! It's just a dream!
      No, no, it's a nightmare!
      It's just a dream, a dream...

- Le Messor
      "If we shut our eyes and believe really hard... they'll kill us. These things are real, man!"
      ~Xander
      Legerd -
      I will cut this one slack. Isn't it - at least - a one shot only?
      Not according to the solicits, it's up to issue #3.
      Marvel is pleased to present your first look at Wolverine: The Best There Is #3! The most shocking Wolverine series continues!
      Even if he manages to slice and dice his way through Slaughter, Suicide, Scavengers, and Yi Yang, he still has to face Contagion, the foe who becomes stronger every time he’s killed! How will Logan fight his way out of this one? Find out this January in the most shocking Wolverine ongoing in years, Wolverine: The Best There Is #3!
      MistressMerr -
      Wolverine has two ongoing series and is on three teams, the X-Men, the Avengers, and X-Force. Excessive, yes, but not nearly as bad as it used to be. Also, Wolverine: The Best There Is really, really sucks while his normal ongoing is awesome, so hopefully it won't be the next Wolverine: Origins and last a million years too long.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
      Wolverine: The Best There Is really, really sucks...
      I've only read the one review, but it backs up your opinion.
      Adding to that the solicit Legerd quoted and what I've been reading lately (Uncanny is a major part of this), I have to wonder how much money and effort Marvel have put into researching exactly what won't appeal to me.

- Le Messor
      "I couldn’t possibly fail to disagree with you less."
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      I know that I'll be reminded that comics are a business, but I still think that a good story and good story-telling should count for something. And Chaos War: Alpha Flight is an example of a good story and good story-telling. It is a worthy introduction and reintroduction of the team. It is well-edited. It is the type of story that MARVEL used to publish a long time ago.

I can think of a few comic books that sold like hot-cakes but were pure dreck (Shooter's SECRET WARS). Just because something can sell over 100,000 units doesn't automatically make it any good.

I think Alpha Flight readers know a good story when they see one.

And MARVEL is still capable of creating them.
      Le Messor -
      Comics are an art.

- Le Messor
      "When business and art join forces, anything can happen."
      ~ Gremlins 2
      Tawmis -
      Comics are an art.
      Currently, I am not enjoying the "art" of the majority of the things Marvel is delivering.
      But as we said before - I disliked 52 (from DC) and others loved it. I love Adam-X, others don't even know who he is.
      Can't please everyone, is what, I suppose it all comes down to.
      Phil -
      Lets try and keep this thread on track and professional....
      Adam NY -
      I stopped into a comic store near my office and the owner said she had ordered CW:AF copies that were not sent to her. Of course, she could have been giving me a line.

I was disappointed because I was really interested in seeing my old friends again. I have not picked up a comic in probably 15 years (got boxes of 1980s comics, bagged and boarded!), and Alpha was my team.

I'll keep searching. I guess there is always ebay. Just sad that the numbers are so low and the number could have been one book higher!

I purchased Uncanny 530 to see what comics look like these days. Land is clearly talented. The book seemed shorter than I remember comics being. Am I right about that?
      Le Messor -
      Comics feel shorter to me these days, but I don't know if they are shorter.
      They certainly don't take me as long to read. (10 minutes as opposed to 15. I'm a slow reader.)

Greg Land's art, uh...
      (Nobody tell him!!! Let him keep his innocence!!!)
      Stick to the 80s. Comics were better then.

- Le Messor
      "I count every day as wasted in which there has been no dancing."
      ~ Friedrich Nietzche
      suzene -
      Greg Land's art, uh...
      (Nobody tell him!!! Let him keep his innocence!!!)
      You just live to spoil my fun, don't you?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
      You just live to spoil my fun, don't you?
      I thought you'd figured that out already.Attachment 794
      MistressMerr -
      Greg Land's art, uh...
      (Nobody tell him!!! Let him keep his innocence!!!!
      Ahaha, I saw Land and talented in the same sentence, and my eye started twitching.

As for comics being shorter, technically they're not, but the style of storytelling has changed so that there are a lot fewer words (more realistic, cinematic style) and a lot less happens in each issue (writing for the trade), making them a lot quicker to read and a lot less satisfying. The writers that manage to pull it off these days are few and far between.
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
      As for comics being shorter, technically they're not, but the style of storytelling has changed so that there are a lot fewer words (more realistic, cinematic style) and a lot less happens in each issue (writing for the trade), making them a lot quicker to read and a lot less satisfying. The writers that manage to pull it off these days are few and far between.
      Beat me to it, about less happening.

These days, one "storyline" can carry on for like six or seven issues.

Where as before, "Magneto shows up, the X-Men show up, the fight it out, the X-Men win."

Simplier back then, yes. But to me, much, much, much more enjoyable.