• November sales figures - Chaos War: Alpha Flight

As per ICY2.com

Chaos War: Alpha Flight
    sold an estimated 17,164 copies, coming in at #107 for the month. Which... well, it's not very good. It's not horrible, though! Not enough to warrant an ongoing any time soon, but certainly worth revisiting with more one-shots and the like, I'd say. Also, it was awesome, which is really what matters at the end of the day.

This article was originally published in forum thread: November sales figures are in started by MistressMerr View original post
    Comments 74 Comments
      Adam NY -
      Quickest Google search ever explained your comment. Wow, that is really disappointing. I guess I will stick with the 80s (which makes me feel like an old fogey ... oh wait, I am an old fogey).

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      Greg Land's art, uh...
      (Nobody tell him!!! Let him keep his innocence!!!)
      Stick to the 80s. Comics were better then.
      Adam NY -
      Well, my innocence belies my age. I would never have expected photoshop to enter the land (ahem) of comics, but I really should not be surprised. I just realized that when I last read comics regularly, there was no internet, so I guess a lot has happened that I have no clue about. I am still interested in getting back into the comics scene and seeing what's what.

From seeing X-Men 530 (my first comic since the early 1990s), I see your point about the substantive change in storytelling style. And while I imagine that quality can be quality regardless of style, I appreciate the blend of auditory (reading) and visual presentation that can be found in classic graphic novels or comics. I think I like the older style better (even if no one will ever convince me that AF 6 was not John just mailing it in that month).

After registering here last night, I re-read the X-Men / Alpha Flight crossover and the New Mutants Annual #1 that came out around the same time in the late 1980s, and while the crossover's connection to the larger Alpha storyline of that time was tenuous at best, those books will forever remain favorites of mine both for the art and the story that they told.

Because I'm embarrassed by my gaff, I'll stick around for a bit and will check out a few different books and see what stories catch my interest. Any recommendations for good blend of story and drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
      As for comics being shorter, technically they're not, but the style of storytelling has changed so that there are a lot fewer words (more realistic, cinematic style) and a lot less happens in each issue (writing for the trade), making them a lot quicker to read and a lot less satisfying. The writers that manage to pull it off these days are few and far between.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam NY View Post
      After registering here last night, I re-read the X-Men / Alpha Flight crossover and the New Mutants Annual #1 that came out around the same time in the late 1980s, and while the crossover's connection to the larger Alpha storyline of that time was tenuous at best, those books will forever remain favorites of mine both for the art and the story that they told.
      Because I'm embarrassed by my gaff, I'll stick around for a bit and will check out a few different books and see what stories catch my interest. Any recommendations for good blend of story and drawing?
      Those stories are collected as X-Men: Asgardian Wars. One of my favourites, and the NM and X-Men annuals in the second half are my favourite line art ever. (I've even added the Storm bust from that story to my AF busts collection.)

You didn't make a gaffe, you said you liked an art style. That's your choice... though maybe now that you know where it came from you'll think again.

While I agree that quality can be quality regardless of style, style can be alienating - and personally, I find a lot of the favoured modern style alienating.
      That said, I enjoyed Superboy #1, but so far I've only read the first issue.

~ Le Messor
      "Don't worry. I'm an old hand at curing baldness."
      ~ Uncle Fester
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Comics are an art.

- Le Messor
      "When business and art join forces, anything can happen."
      ~ Gremlins 2
      Thanks, Le Messor. I've never been able to understand the concept of comics being a business only. It's easier to accept that it is a combination of art and business and when the combination works well, a good story can result.

Anyone who misses out of on this one-shot will miss a good story.

I hope MARVEL will give Alpha Flight another chance, just like they've done for some of their favorite---but low-selling---titles.
      DelBubs -
      Just out of interest, does anyone know how it did in comparison to other Chaos War comics?
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs View Post
      Just out of interest, does anyone know how it did in comparison to other Chaos War comics?
      The main title Chaos War #3 came in first with 28,630 books sold and placed at #61 on the list. CW: Dead Avengers #1 came second with 20,312 books coming in at #88. CW: Thor #1 was next with 19,738 books coming in at #93. Then CW: Chaos King #1 with 17,578 at #103 and finally CW: Alpha Flight #1 with 17,164 coming in at #107.
      varo -
      yeah, even though some people will love chaos war(which i do) its not exactly secret invasion, or civil war. it's probably along the same lines of shadowland, smaller, self contained series, rather than effecting the whole of marvels universe.

i hope the higher ups take this into consideration. i have read the one shot at least 50 times and enjoyed it each time.

so funny that so many of us, including myself just wanted alpha flight to be re-introduced with some respect, i said many of times "heck, i'll even take a one shot to get thm back" now after reading how well mccann nailed the characters i want more!!!
      Legerd -
      On the positive side, AF did better than Deadpool Pulp #3 - 15,009; Ant Man & Wasp #1 - 14,975; Black Widow #8 - 14,896; Hawkeye & Mockingbird #6 - 14,217 and Thor First Thunder #3 - 14,038.
      Trewqp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
      Eff them. I hate people like that. Seriously. You're bringing them business. If they had a manager, I'd report them, say that they made you feel uncomfortable and unwanted.

Nail their ass to the wall.
      Yeah! I am pumped right now. Gonna read this Comic and then start a canadian riot!

Flightpath07 -
      I am happy to say that of all the CW:AF issues sold, two of them reside in my hands.

After having read it, had I the funds to go out and buy 5000 more, i would.
      marvelboy74 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      Really? They seemed to have sold out in most places, but then again...The comic stores may not have ordered very many to begin with.

Dana
      I haven't been picking up the Chaos War one-shots nor the main series. I forgot to reserve a copy of AF and they were out. They are usually pretty good on their ordering and they stated they had more people reserving the X-Men and Avengers one-shots than Chaos War itself. But it seems like many people might have picked up Alpha on name only in my LCS, moreso than those who bought Chaos War itself as they still had copies of that.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Trewqp View Post
      Yeah! I am pumped right now. Gonna read this Comic and then start a canadian riot!

A Canadian riot in Florida? That's crazy talk...LOL!

Dana
      Le Messor -
      Well, remember that Ultimate Heather and Mac live in Florida.

- Le Messor
      "I disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to tell such LIES!"
      Legerd -

Dana
      Not really, there's a whole lot of Snowbirds down there after all.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Well, remember that Ultimate Heather and Mac live in Florida.

- Le Messor
      "I disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to tell such LIES!"
      "Ultimate Heather and Mac"?! What the---?! I am not speaking to you ever again, Mik!

Dana
      DIGGER -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      Not really, there's a whole lot of Snowbirds down there after all.
      Can they change their forms into polar bears or snowy owls? If they can that would be one heck of a riot!

DIGGER
      Le Messor -
      "Ultimate Heather and Mac"?! What the---?! I am not speaking to you ever again, Mik!
      I was desperate to find a connection! I was...

Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
      Can they change their forms into polar bears or snowy owls? If they can that would be one heck of a riot!

DIGGER
      No, but they are old and can get real cranky real fast! Plus, most of them are on drugs.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Lol!
      Mokole -
      I tried to find the book in two stores today while finally getting a day to shop, both sold out yesterday.