Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AlphaFlight.net - November sales figures - Chaos War: Alpha Flight
  • November sales figures - Chaos War: Alpha Flight

    As per ICY2.com

    Chaos War: Alpha Flight
    sold an estimated 17,164 copies, coming in at #107 for the month. Which... well, it's not very good. It's not horrible, though! Not enough to warrant an ongoing any time soon, but certainly worth revisiting with more one-shots and the like, I'd say. Also, it was awesome, which is really what matters at the end of the day.


    This article was originally published in forum thread: November sales figures are in started by MistressMerr View original post
    Comments 74 Comments
    1. Mystic's Avatar
      Mystic -
      I thought that I would have difficulty finding it when I went to the comic shop across the street, either because they didn't order enough or it went like hotcakes. Well, I found it...on the very bottom shelf of the 'new' wall. It was very hard to see and one of the few titles that wasn't placed in alphabetical order. There were a ton of copies left either.

      When I took it up to the register the guy behind the counter snickered when he saw what I was buying...

      ...I really hate that place.
    1. Mokole's Avatar
      Mokole -
      I couldn't get it, it was sold out wherever I called or emailed. I'm waiting on place two hours away to get more orders.
    1. Tawmis's Avatar
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
      I thought that I would have difficulty finding it when I went to the comic shop across the street, either because they didn't order enough or it went like hotcakes. Well, I found it...on the very bottom shelf of the 'new' wall. It was very hard to see and one of the few titles that wasn't placed in alphabetical order. There were a ton of copies left either.

      When I took it up to the register the guy behind the counter snickered when he saw what I was buying...

      ...I really hate that place.
      Eff them. I hate people like that. Seriously. You're bringing them business. If they had a manager, I'd report them, say that they made you feel uncomfortable and unwanted.

      Nail their ass to the wall.
    1. Tawmis's Avatar
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
      I couldn't get it, it was sold out wherever I called or emailed. I'm waiting on place two hours away to get more orders.
      If ye lived in the US, I'd send you a copy. I picked up three copies, myself.
    1. Reksuh's Avatar
      Reksuh -
      That is a little disappointing.
      I enjoyed the one shot. I hope we get more.
    1. rplass's Avatar
      rplass -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
      Eff them. I hate people like that. Seriously. You're bringing them business. If they had a manager, I'd report them, say that they made you feel uncomfortable and unwanted.

      Nail their ass to the wall.
      Damn, that's some ANGRY ALPHA FLIGHT ANGRY LOVE there... awesome!
    1. Bill P's Avatar
      Bill P -
      Disappointing since I think it was one of the better Comics that month.

      I also got a little grief in the comic book store I bought my copy at.
    1. Mystic's Avatar
      Mystic -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
      Eff them. I hate people like that. Seriously. You're bringing them business. If they had a manager, I'd report them, say that they made you feel uncomfortable and unwanted.

      Nail their ass to the wall.
      Sad to say, but the guy was the owner. I broke my rule about going in there just to get the comic (it's a long story, and involved buying magic cards), but am now aware of the fact that any further business he could offer is now going to the guy that has his store about fifteen miles away.

      The one-shot was awesome, and certainly took the sting out of the experience.
    1. Tawmis's Avatar
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
      Sad to say, but the guy was the owner. I broke my rule about going in there just to get the comic (it's a long story, and involved buying magic cards), but am now aware of the fact that any further business he could offer is now going to the guy that has his store about fifteen miles away.

      The one-shot was awesome, and certainly took the sting out of the experience.
      Gaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhh! Shiest like that chaps my hide, so to speak. During these economic times the ungrateful frakkin' bass-turd should be thankful that you're spending money in his store.
    1. Legerd's Avatar
      Legerd -
      IMO, the title did alright considering it wasn't necessary to the main story, that few readers nowadays seem to know anything about the team and that the other Chaos War "crossover" books (that were promoted in interviews and articles before they went on sale) were all in and around the same numbers. Let's see how the characters fare in Chaos War #5, if they aren't simply there to be punching bags, if they actually play a part in the defeat of Mikaboshi, then maybe we can push for a mini?
    1. Le Messor's Avatar
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      If we go by just Marvel comics it was ranked #55, yeah not very good sadly.

      Um... 55? Is that Wouldn't that mean Marvel released at least 55 comics in one month?

      They have got to get a better idea of what their readers are after... OTOH, if they'd released less, AF wouldn't be one of them.
      Or is that figures for a longer period?

      - Le Messor
      "I cannot live without books."
      ~ Thomas Jefferson
    1. mreeez's Avatar
      mreeez -
      That number seems to be in line with what the other Chaos War off-shoots are doing.

      Eh, at least Alpha Flight is back in the Marvel landscape, and the original team to boot.
    1. Tawmis's Avatar
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by mreeez View Post
      That number seems to be in line with what the other Chaos War off-shoots are doing.

      Eh, at least Alpha Flight is back in the Marvel landscape, and the original team to boot.
      I mentioned this on a THOR list I am on... What worries me is if AF doesn't get their own title... someone's going to fubar them in some guest appearance, like they did with the Collective... "We need a team to trash... who do we got that's a bunch of heroes, close to the US, that doesn't have their own title! Oh, yes! ALPHA FLIGHT!"
    1. DIGGER's Avatar
      DIGGER -
      Sure it was 107 overall and 55 on Marvels list, but look at the Marvel heroes it placed ahead of that have their own series. Also look a the top of the list. It has Batman, Green Lantern and a whole slew of other longer established/greater promoted series or storylines for goodness sake! Alpha did alright IMHO in the grand scheme of things. It was just too bad that the story seemed kinda' rushed to me...waited so long for a new Alpha story and it was over so fast. And hey, if they didn't do umpteen series featuring X-men or Avengers or frackin` Deadpool there might just be enough room on the shelf for some different titles. Remember, less is more and by limiting the number of titles you make the remaining ones that much more special. One X-men series, one Avengers series etc. let you change things up to keep it interesting...gee, must be really late and really tired...seem.. to.. be.... rambling......sorry! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

      DIGGER
    1. varo's Avatar
      varo -
      i dont think the sales numbers for all the chaos war titles are that strong. its a very good story, but not a major crossover like civil war or secret invasion. at least we got a very good alpha flight story.
    1. Tawmis's Avatar
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
      Sure it was 107 overall and 55 on Marvels list, but look at the Marvel heroes it placed ahead of that have their own series. Also look a the top of the list. It has Batman, Green Lantern and a whole slew of other longer established/greater promoted series or storylines for goodness sake! Alpha did alright IMHO in the grand scheme of things. It was just too bad that the story seemed kinda' rushed to me...waited so long for a new Alpha story and it was over so fast. And hey, if they didn't do umpteen series featuring X-men or Avengers or frackin` Deadpool there might just be enough room on the shelf for some different titles. Remember, less is more and by limiting the number of titles you make the remaining ones that much more special. One X-men series, one Avengers series etc. let you change things up to keep it interesting...gee, must be really late and really tired...seem.. to.. be.... rambling......sorry! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

      DIGGER
      I am cool with two titles of specific titles, when there's so many characters to pick from. Like Avengers and West Coast Avengers, was fine. But when you have Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, and who knows how many else... and... the one who puts DEADPOOL to shame with the amount of titles... Wolverine. Seriously. How many Wolverine titles are there? X-MEN has gotten bad as well, with Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, X-Men: First Class, and whatever other X-Men titles exist (not counting X-Men Forever, Ultimate X-Men).
    1. Legerd's Avatar
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
      I am cool with two titles of specific titles, when there's so many characters to pick from. Like Avengers and West Coast Avengers, was fine. But when you have Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, and who knows how many else... and... the one who puts DEADPOOL to shame with the amount of titles... Wolverine. Seriously. How many Wolverine titles are there? X-MEN has gotten bad as well, with Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, X-Men: First Class, and whatever other X-Men titles exist (not counting X-Men Forever, Ultimate X-Men).
      I swear it's like every time someone complains about the number of X-men titles Marvels adds another one out of spite.
      Does anyone else feel like Marvel is just shooting itself in the foot with so many repetitive titles? Many readers want some kind of continuity, and stability to the characters, but with all the "game changing" events and alternate timelines all using the same few characters it can't be easy for new readers to follow it.
    1. Tawmis's Avatar
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      I swear it's like every time someone complains about the number of X-men titles Marvels adds another one out of spite.
      Does anyone else feel like Marvel is just shooting itself in the foot with so many repetitive titles? Many readers want some kind of continuity, and stability to the characters, but with all the "game changing" events and alternate timelines all using the same few characters it can't be easy for new readers to follow it.
      So along those same lines... A few years back DC rebooted a bunch of titles... Teen Titans, Outsiders, Aquaman, Hawkman, and one or two others, that are slipping my mind. And I was, for the first time in my comic collecting history (which dates all the way back to 197 - I was -... Collecting DC Comics. And... I was enjoying DC comics more than Marvel. So it became very easy to invest time, money and love into DC. Marvel was handing out trash (Chuck Austin was on X-Men or something, if I recall). I collected DC for like two years (if not more? Because I got up to like Hawkman #50... so 12 issues a year... is um, 4 years! Egads!) - so anyway - I was really digging it - especially Aquaman (whom I have always liked), and even more so because from the start, the story focused on San Diego (where I live!)... and I was really invested.

      Then they did "52."

      I collected about 12 issues of 52.

      And finally gave up. DC shook up everything. Hawkman was replaced by Hawkgirl (whom I like, but I want to read about Hawkman, who I grew up with). Aquaman got canned. Teen Titans was replaced by a bunch of people I don't know. Outsides got totally shifted around.

      I dropped every single title from DC.

      Marvel has its hooks deeper, because I have been collecting for a very long time. Especially Uncanny X-Men, which the only issues I am missing being 1 to 50. (I have a few in between there, but they're random). But every year... it gets a little easier to keep dropping more and more titles... and getting closer and closer to finally cutting comics. AVENGERS (the current one) was a saving grace. I actually enjoy it because it reminds me of old AVENGERS. I never got NEW AVENGERS. I refuse to get ANOTHER book with Wolverine in it. I loved Wolverine back in the day - but now if he's in a new book, I will not pick it up JUST because he's in it.
    1. MistressMerr's Avatar
      MistressMerr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
      So along those same lines... A few years back DC rebooted a bunch of titles... Teen Titans, Outsiders, Aquaman, Hawkman, and one or two others, that are slipping my mind. And I was, for the first time in my comic collecting history (which dates all the way back to 197 - I was -... Collecting DC Comics. And... I was enjoying DC comics more than Marvel. So it became very easy to invest time, money and love into DC. Marvel was handing out trash (Chuck Austin was on X-Men or something, if I recall). I collected DC for like two years (if not more? Because I got up to like Hawkman #50... so 12 issues a year... is um, 4 years! Egads!) - so anyway - I was really digging it - especially Aquaman (whom I have always liked), and even more so because from the start, the story focused on San Diego (where I live!)... and I was really invested.

      Then they did "52."

      I collected about 12 issues of 52.

      And finally gave up. DC shook up everything. Hawkman was replaced by Hawkgirl (whom I like, but I want to read about Hawkman, who I grew up with). Aquaman got canned. Teen Titans was replaced by a bunch of people I don't know. Outsides got totally shifted around.

      I dropped every single title from DC.
      Lol, my story is the exact opposite. 52 is the only real DC title I've ever read, I picked it up because the premise seemed interesting and loved it in spite of not knowing who the heck any of the characters were. By the time Countdown happened, though, and it started being more about Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman, I stopped caring entirely. Just puts it all in perspective, I guess, that you really can't please everyone.

      And Wolverine doesn't actually have that many titles anymore.
    1. Tawmis's Avatar
      Tawmis -
      Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
      Lol, my story is the exact opposite. 52 is the only real DC title I've ever read, I picked it up because the premise seemed interesting and loved it in spite of not knowing who the heck any of the characters were. By the time Countdown happened, though, and it started being more about Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman, I stopped caring entirely. Just puts it all in perspective, I guess, that you really can't please everyone.

      And Wolverine doesn't actually have that many titles anymore.
      No, you definitely can not please anyone. That's the truth. For example, to this day one of my favorite Marvel characters is the super obscure "Adam-X." 99.99% of the world would be like, "Who?" or "Why?" So I definitely understand not pleasing everyone.

      As for Wolverine...

      Is he not in: Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine, Wolverine: Goes To Hell, Dark Wolverine? (Just to name the ones I am aware of? Is he still in New Avengers, or any Avengers title?)