• Marvel Premier Classics X-Men: Alpha Flight HC

Solicited for Feb 2011: X-Men and Alpha Flight (both series) along with Uncanny X-Men #s 109, 120, 121, 139 and 140 for $34.99

Here's the cover:

And the variant:

This article was originally published in forum thread: New Alpha Flight HC in February started by rplass View original post
    Comments 57 Comments
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
      Is this guarantee rock solid? For those of you who have this in your hands already, are there Handbook entries?
      I took it back after that post. Roughly twenty in a row (#s 28-52) had them, but they stopped shortly after I put that up there - in fact, I'd come closer to guaranteeing (now) there won't be any.

- Le Messor
      "Water finds its own level - except in a storm."
      ~ P.K. Shaw
      Phil -
      My copy turned up today! So much for 4-6 weeks delivery window!

The extra is the X-Men & Alpha Flight cover & interview from Marvel Age #32 and the Cockrum cover of the 1998 reprint
      No introduction, but to be fair there's a lot of pages for your money when you consider there are some MPC's with only 4 issues in.

It's the standard issues, rather than the Classic additions.

It's all in chronological order:
      UXM 109, 120-121, 139-140
      X-Men/Alpha Flight(Raab/Cassaday) 1-2
      X-Men & Alpha Flight (Claremont/Smith) 1-2
      DelBubs -
      I picked my copy up yesterday while up the city. Forbidden Planet may be devoid of atmosphere, but they do have a great selection. Was tempted to pick up vol 2 of the Classics, but my LCS has reserved me a copy.
      Le Messor -
      Congrats, Del!
      It is a good HC - and I like that the order is chronological, not publishing order (ie: X-Men / Alpha v2 is before v1).

Forbidden Planet has no atmosphere? I thought it did, but it's been a loooong time since I've been there.

- Le Messor
      "If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?"
      DelBubs -
      Long been my issue with Forbidden Planet. I like to go into a store and chat about comics to assistants who know what they are talking about. Seng described it as very super market.

Still, can't fault the HC, got the #109 cover.
      Le Messor -
      Ah. It wasn't like that when I went there.

- Le Messor
      "If I were a good man, I'd understand the spaces between friends."
      ~ Roger Waters
      DelBubs -
      Don't get me wrong, it has everything a comics fan could want. It probably does comics more good as being in such a prime location it pulls in passing punters just window shopping. I just like my LCS. Been going there for nearly 30 years, The owner is more of a friend and his manager Paul has shared many a rowdy evening with me. Also their knowledge of comics lends itself to hours of conversation.
      Le Messor -
      I understand what you mean; of the two in town, one of them feels small and homey, the other is very supermarket.
      I've only been to Forbidden Planet once, and that was many years ago. It didn't fit that description then, but I have no reason to believe it doesn't now.

- Le Messor
      "If I tried something big, I'd change. And then it's all black hair and veins and lightning bolts. I can hardly do a locator spell without getting dark roots."
      ~ Willow
      Phil -
      I have to say, the stores I've spent the most amount of money in over the years, be it comic, book or record, have been independant stores where I know the shopkeepers names and they know mine, they stop and chat and make you feel welcome.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      I have to say, the stores I've spent the most amount of money in over the years, be it comic, book or record, have been independant stores where I know the shopkeepers names and they know mine, they stop and chat and make you feel welcome.
      Yeah, I love that.
      (Oh, I get it from both my LCSs, by the way... just one feels too clean. If that makes sense.)
      DaVeO -
      I just picked this up from the Toronto library, will read it after I'm done with Swamp Thing.
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DaVeO View Post
      I just picked this up from the Toronto library, will read it after I'm done with Swamp Thing.
      Wait a minute...what are you doing with Swamp Thing?!? I hope you aren't making him do mundane chores around your house...
      Phil -
      Looks like this is getting a softcover reprint later in the year:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1302900250
      Le Messor -
      That'd be the second softcover, then. All the Marvel Premiere Classics seemed to have softcover versions, didn't they?
      Phil -
      It's the first one, they've just taken a while to get round to it!
      Le Messor -
      I might be getting confused between the first softcover and the other hardcover. They definitely all had two hardcover editions!

~ Le Messor
      "Everyone is brilliant some of the time, and no one is that way all the time."
      ~ Kathleen Cushmes
      Phil -
      Yeah, the Standard and the Direct Market variant were both HC's.