• Alpha Flight Returns in Chaos War:Alpha Flight

October sees Marvel's 'Chaos War' where Hercules creates an all new God-Squad to face the forces of the Chaos King.

Alpha Flight fans were saddened when Snowbird appeared to not be included in the squad despite her being an integral part of the last one (during the Incredible Hercules: Sacred Invasion storyline), but now we know why!

Spinning out of the events of November's Chaos War #3 comes the 'Chaos War:Alpha Flight' One Shot by Jim McCann and Reilly Brown.

Comments 47 Comments
      rplass -
      Ah, Northstar and Aurora switched costumes again! They gotta stop doing that!
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
      Ah, Northstar and Aurora switched costumes again! They gotta stop doing that!
      Not at all! It's merely the way your eyes are transceiving the light's reflection, and...oh, nevermind, you're right.
      DIGGER -
      When did Northstar and Aurora break their fore/four arms?

DIGGER
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      They had carpal tunnel surgery.

Dana
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      They had carpal tunnel surgery.

Dana
      All that super-speed typing did them in.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Uh...yes...Super speed typing...yes...That has to be it.

Dana
      DIGGER -
      I type slow....WHOOPS too much information, sorry.

DIGGER
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      lol!
      After reading the articles on Comic Book Resources and Newsarama, anyone else beginning to suspect the villain of the comic will be Puck? While I think Puck as a hero-turned-villain doesn't work, it seems like that is what the interview is hinting. The author made it clear that Alpha Flight creates it's own villains. Add to that the fact that Puck won't be on the team. Finally think about an original Alpha Flight reunion without Puck. Seems pretty clear to me.

Thoughts?

The Irredeemable Shag
      http://onceuponageek.com
      http://firestormfan.com
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Irredeemable Shag View Post
      After reading the articles on Comic Book Resources and Newsarama, anyone else beginning to suspect the villain of the comic will be Puck? While I think Puck as a hero-turned-villain doesn't work, it seems like that is what the interview is hinting. The author made it clear that Alpha Flight creates it's own villains. Add to that the fact that Puck won't be on the team. Finally think about an original Alpha Flight reunion without Puck. Seems pretty clear to me.

Thoughts?

The Irredeemable Shag
      http://onceuponageek.com
      http://firestormfan.com
      Nope. Doesn't work for me.
      Legerd -
      From the latest T&A article:

Speaking of how fans will react to certain things put out by Marvel, after last week's column when you'd spoken on Alpha Flight being dead, there were more than a few people who felt kind of burned on the boards only to have you announce the expected "Alpha Flight" book as a Chaos War tie-in by Jim McCann and Reilly Brown.
      Brevoort: We like to keep our readers on their toes here at T & A.
      As was revealed earlier this week, the Alpha Flight project that we're doing is "Dead Alpha Flight" much like the "Dead Avengers" series we announced previously, both of which connect to the Chaos War storyline that Mark Paniccia and his group are heading up. So the fact that they're dead has not stopped them from having a book and appearing in print to baffle and befuddle us. [Laughs] The idea came from Mark and the creators who've been working on the "Chaos War" event – Greg Pak, Fred Van Lente and the rest – finding an opportunity where an Alpha Flight project would make sense within the context of what was going on. It gives us a chance to test the waters. If the teeming throngs of Alpha Flight fans that were ready to string us up last week go out and support this little project, maybe that will grease the wheels a little bit for a larger Alpha Flight series of one sort or another.
      So, do we believe them this time?
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      From the latest T&A article:

So, do we believe them this time?
      Hesitantly, with one hand held behind my back (and that hand gripping a hand grenade).

I believe that they agreed to do an AF one-shot BECAUSE they didn't have to make (or keep) AF alive to do so - they could very gleefully announce that, "yes indeed, AF is still dead, ha ha ha on you, tppbbtt!"
      I beleive that huge sales of this one-shot COULD change Marvel's mind about AF. (also, I beleive in the Easter Bunny and Leprechauns)

Most of all, I still believe that TPTB at Marvel still hate AF.

However, anything is possible. But, if AF became really popular again, how could some Marvel execs salvage their pride, after all the bad-mouthing (and killing) they have done? Makes me doubtful.

Also love the use of the phrases "teeming throngs" (can you hear the drip, drip of the sarcasm there?) and "maybe" and "little bit" and "one sort or another". So, what we get are backhanded compliments, and Marvel telling us that (once again, even though they have already disproved this to be true) our dollars can make them change their mind about AF.

Okay, I guess my answer to your question, Legerd, is "no, not even a little bit."
      DIGGER -
      Of course our dollars can change their minds. That's how it works. If they made a pile of cash on the Alpha one-shot then they would probably at least try a 5 issue mini. (at least he didn't say teeming thongs...that would have been uncomfortable!)
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      They made piles of cash on Omega Flight, but they still screwed over the creative team and the fans on that one. I don't believe anything Brevoort or Joey Duh Q say..."Actions speak louder than words" and all that.

I am very glad that Alpha Flight is returning and being used in a big event...however, I will only believe that they are back for good, when I see it....Not before.

Dana
      Flightpath07 -
      They made piles of cash on Omega Flight, but they still screwed over the creative team and the fans on that one. I don't believe anything Brevoort or Joey Duh Q say..."Actions speak louder than words" and all that.

I am very glad that Alpha Flight is returning and being used in a big event...however, I will only believe that they are back for good, when I see it....Not before.

Dana

Agreed.

Seems like this Chaos War is bringing back almost everybody from the dead. Doubtful that more than a handful will stay alive when the event is finished. Wouldn't bet any money that Alpha Flight will stay alive, or together.
      MistressMerr -
      They made piles of cash on Omega Flight
      Hardly.
      Legerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
      Hardly.
      OF sold better than a lot of the ongoing titles at the time.
      Le Messor -
      Right about now, I'm more pleased with the idea of an Alpha Flight one-shot than an ongoing series. I don't like the way Marvel's handling their serieses (X-Men, mainly); the one-shots are usually much better comics.

Oh, and my interest level in the rest of this crossover is holding steady at zero.

- Le Messor
      "He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened."
      Flightpath07 -
      I`m at negative zero for the rest of it.
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Yeah...I'm also just picking up the Alpha One shot.

Dana