• A Reason For Alpha Flight

There has been plenty of talk on this site lately (actually, for the last few years) that revolves around various discussions about what reason can we come up with for having an Alpha Flight team again, a reason that would be good enough to (a) cause Marvel to believe it would sell as a series, and (b) make sense in that Marvel seems to feel that previous AFs have lost readers due to something new being needed.

Many people here have suggested ideas. Some new ideas, some not-so-new.

Many of us believed that John Byrne had it right, or did it best, when it comes to AF. So, many times suggestions came up in regards to how JB wrote AF in the beginning, how they were a team made up of individuals who did not always get along, and showing that individual stories could be told in a team book.

There has also been talk about how AF needs to interact with the Marvel U on a regular basis, to attract attention and fans and keep them relevant.

And most people here agree that one of the things that makes AF Alpha Flight-y is that they are Canadians as opposed to Americans (who seem to have the vast majority of the superheroes).

Well, here is my idea...

Take John Byrne's original idea. Modernize it, and you have got an AF that is bold, exciting, and will sell.

By this, I mean that Alpha Flight should be a group of Canadian superheroes, working for the Canadian government, with two mandates; (a) protection of Canada from super-powered baddies, and (b) to bring in all of the Canadian government employees with super-powers who are working illegally in America. In other words, they have a mandate to bring back to Canada such people as Northstar, Aurora, and Wolverine, at any and all costs.

This, as you can imagine, means that AF will be a superhero team based in Canada, who, besides fighting bad guys and gals within their own borders, will quite often be throwing-down with recognizable superheroes and super-teams in the US of A. They may be good guys, but when they get a sniff of one of their own who have left to fight evil in the US, they spring into cross-border-action and try their damnest to capture and retrieve said persons.

Welcome to a great many great battles with superheroes! Welcome to a great many guest appearances in other titles! Welcome to sales!

Welcome back, Alpha Flight?
    This article was originally published in forum thread: A Reason For Alpha Flight started by Flightpath07 View original post
    Comments 109 Comments
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
      Now we are getting the one shot...notice how the increments are decreasing? now we have nowhere to go but up!
      Next: A back-up feature (1/2 issue) in Marvel Comics Presents! Then a zero-issue! No pages, no panels.

After that, Marvel will start unprinting earlier issues, and you'll actually see your collection get smaller...

- Le Messor
      "He who reads many fortunes gets confused."
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      Nooooooooooooooooooo!
      Flightpath07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      Next: A back-up feature (1/2 issue) in Marvel Comics Presents! Then a zero-issue! No pages, no panels.

After that, Marvel will start unprinting earlier issues, and you'll actually see your collection get smaller...

- Le Messor
      "He who reads many fortunes gets confused."
      OMG! ROTFL...I think I just swallowed a whole muffin! (the weirdest thing is, I wasn't even eating one...)
      Muerman -
      Anything! As long as Alpha Flight returns!
      Flightpath07 -
      Woo-hoo! Welcome, Muerman! All AF fans welcome here!
      Muerman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
      Woo-hoo! Welcome, Muerman! All AF fans welcome here!
      Thanks Flightpath! I've loved this book for years and I'm happy to see that there is a website that is up to date with anything having to do with Alpha Flight! I must admit, I've stumbled upon AlphaFlight.net before but it seemed to have gone the way of the books for a while! Happy to be a member now!
      Flightpath07 -
      Happy to be a member now!
      In honour of all things AF, and the greatness of this site and the people on it, i am voting that we all join hands and sing hippie 60's tunes!

Le Messor -
      If you're going to San Francisco, you'll meet some lovely people there...
      Flightpath07 -
      In San Fran, isn't the treat Rice-A-Roni?