• Alpha Flight: What needs to be done (opinion piece)

We all know that Alpha Flight has been given a bad rap the last several years. Regardless of whether you believe that Marvel is intentionally trying to wipe them all out, it cannot be denied that Canada's most notable super-humans have had it rough. They are treated as a joke, even by former members of the team (Ex, Northstar: "That's the most pathetic thing I've ever heard, and I was with Alpha Flight"). Whether it's having the entire active roster wiped out by the Collective, being stamped out during Necrosha, the falling apart of Omega Flight shortly after its formation (In Mighty Avengers. I mean, how many people are even on that team now that Pointer and Walker are gone? Three, four if you count Agent Brown?), or just fading into the realm of neglect and obscurity.

This brings forth an important question: Does Alpha Flight get no respect because they are a joke? Or are they a joke because they get no respect? I, and I'm willing to bet almost every other member on this forum, am inclined to believe it is the latter of the two.

But how can AF get that much needed respect? As an aspiring writer/illustrator who would love to, and has in fact made it a personal goal, to bring Alpha Flight back into the fold, I have given it much thought and come up with a few necessary actions which should be taken. Assuming that Marvel would actually give the green light to an ongoing series, here is what I think needs to happen:

1) Go back to calling the team Alpha Flight. Although some good points were made for the name-change in issue one of the Omega Flight mini, OF seems to have become something of a failed experiment. Also, in the minds of Canadians in the Marvel U, AF was a force that inspired them, and made them feel safe. Renaming the team back to Alpha Flight would provide a renewed sense of security and optimism for the Canadian citizens of Earth 616. Besides, Omega Flight, as mentioned earlier, is pretty much all but disbanded anyway.

2) First, there needs to be a lead-in to the series. A way to get other readers outside of the normal AF crowd to buy the book. Since AF has a long history with the X-Men, it only seems natural that a crossover with them would be sufficient, but then again, if you really want to bring Alpha Flight into the mainstream, why not put them with the Avengers? Why not both, and Avengers/X-men/Alpha Flight mega-epic? The X-Men, are, after all, outcasts in the Marvel U. But the Avengers are adored the world over. However, it is important to make sure that Alpha Flight is not forced to play the role of quirky side-kicks. For the team to be taken seriously, they need to play a dominant role.

3) A brand new line up, consisting of several classic members (of the handful who are still alive, at least), combined with brand new characters created specifically for relaunching the series. It would provide readers with a chance to reunite with old favorites, while also allowing for exciting new character development. Bringing in some heavy hitters wouldn't hurt either, such as Beta Ray Bill, who now has a connection with the team.

4) Define their role. Lets face it, the majority of the comic book audience are American, and have little interest in reading a book about "Canadian X-Men" or "Avengers North." For AF to thrive in the modern comic industry, they need to have their own priorities and status quo that separates them from other super-teams. For instance, AF was a government sponsored team decades before Civil War brought super-human registration to Marvel's USA, so it only makes sense to explore that connection, and the strengths and weaknesses which come with it.

5) Put them in the spot light. When a big, universe shattering even unfolds, let us know how it's affecting AF, or better yet, give AF the chance to shine and step forth, just as Nova proved to be pivotal during the Annihilation War. Doing so would allow for the expansion of the audience, showing people outside the AF circle that yes, Alpha Flight does have the potential to be awesome.

6) Put the "super-hero" before the "Canadian." Yes, Alpha Flight are Canada's premier super-team, but as mentioned earlier, the majority of the target audience are going to be American, and using the patriotism schtick alone isn't going to cut it. But it's not hopeless. Look at Wolverine and Deadpool. They are arguably Marvel's two most popular characters, and both are Canadian. But if you know anything about them then it is quickly apparent that the two are not so much Canadian characters, so much as they are awesome characters which just happen to be Canadian. Also, if you look at Captain America, you note that though he wraps himself in his country's flag, the stories and situations he goes through are exciting, and the ideals he represent worth aspiring to, regardless of which country you reside in. I would be a challenge, to be sure, but ultimately worth it in the end, especially if the next step is realized.

7) Most importantly, give it to a creative team that cares, and limit them as little as possible. A good writer/artist team that will not only attract attention, but also take the time and energy to nurture the series, and bring out it's full potential. A team that can write exciting and emotional stories that will draw readers in and make them stay.
    Comments 4 Comments
      Le Messor -
      I agree with a lot of what you said, but...

3) was a large part of why I hated all the post volume 1 line-ups; what we ended up with was Alpha Flight in name only; a series set in Canada, with a couple of original members, and otherwise nothing to do with Alpha Flight.

I don't know if 4) is the problem of establishing their role or if it's what makes them unique in the Marvel Universe. For me, part of that was the Solo-Avengers style stories and the combination of mystical with scientific; I'd vote for making that shine. The government-sponsored thing risks devolving into 'let's rebel against the department which funds us every single month', which is of no interest to me.
      Your mileage may vary.

- Le Messor
      "Good literature is about Love and War. Trash fiction is about Sex and Violence."
      ~ Author Unknown
      Flightpath07 -
      I agree with most of the article.

Until Marvel decides to make AF shine, and shine big and hard and shiny, this is all a moot point. They stopped listening to the fans a long time ago. There has to be a complete shift in attitude towards AF in the Marvel head offices, or we will get what we have right now - nothing.

Not getting my hopes up. Give me ten years.
      DancingDevil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
      I agree with a lot of what you said, but...

3) was a large part of why I hated all the post volume 1 line-ups; what we ended up with was Alpha Flight in name only; a series set in Canada, with a couple of original members, and otherwise nothing to do with Alpha Flight.

I don't know if 4) is the problem of establishing their role or if it's what makes them unique in the Marvel Universe. For me, part of that was the Solo-Avengers style stories and the combination of mystical with scientific; I'd vote for making that shine. The government-sponsored thing risks devolving into 'let's rebel against the department which funds us every single month', which is of no interest to me.
      Your mileage may vary.

- Le Messor
      "Good literature is about Love and War. Trash fiction is about Sex and Violence."
      ~ Author Unknown
      First off, thank you for your input. Part of the reason I posted this article was so that I could get feedback on these ideas, and to find out what other Alpha Flight fans felt would work and what wouldn't.

Second, I would point out here that number seven would be the critical element. A skilled writer could figure out a way to get around the issues you point out in such a way that would still be entertaining. Also:

3) Almost every team, especially teams with long histories, go through several roster changes over the course of time. The X-men, the Avengers, even the Fantastic Four, which is more a family than a team, has occasionally had to welcome substitute members, even if only temporarily. Again, a good writer/artist team would be absolutely critical in making sure that, even with new members, the spirit of Alpha Flight remains intact.

4) The whole "evil government organization" thing has definitely been done before. Working alongside the government would only be one aspect of the teams identity. The combination of science and mysticism would be yet another. Once again, the important thing is to get a good writer on board who understands all this, and can pay homage to what's come before while at the same time moving the team forward and making them relevant to the here and now.
      Le Messor -
      You're welcome... but please take everything with I say with a grain of salt.
      Attachment 537

I'm not the forum, I'm just one skr-- guy. I can only speak for two people here.

I say two because me and Dana usually agree - but even then, I wouldn't presume to type for him.

For example, my number 4) was a dig at volume 2). I hated it, but there are people here who love it, and my hit squad hasn't found all of them yet. I would say volume three was closer to the spirit of volume 1 (though still nowhere near), but I'm probably the only one.

I agree about a great team making the book; a great team that's right for the job can make anything great that's why they're nice.

- Le Messor
      "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
      ~ Plato